Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 22:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What you get for giving freebie

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2012 02:31 |  #16

I guess so. I also wonder if they knew how many hours is behind the extra work i did. I might consider itemising how long some of the extra jobs take in the invoice so they are aware of what they got in the final product. At the end of the day i did the extra stuff to help them out. They may be unaware just how much i did.

I think i'll continue giving a few extra freebies here and there, but make sure people know what they are getting. Although i am generally just being a nice guy, i do expect thanks, in the same way that if you helped someone in the street you would expect an appropriate thanks. Doing approx 1 day additional work for someone deserves more that just a two-word email when the final product is delivered. They are good guys so i will definitely pop in and see them when i'm next in their area to see how they are using the photos.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 12, 2012 02:34 |  #17

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14847130 (external link)
Hopefully you would use the correct form "You're welcome" :lol:

:p

:: runs from thread ::

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 12, 2012 02:41 |  #18

teaco wrote in post #14847137 (external link)
People take the time to post all sort of things, including thoughts, feelings and conversation starters. This isn't a rant, so apologies if it comes across like that. I'm just putting my thoughts out there. If i didn't get a reply at all i would probably have said 'Wow, i did all this extra work and didn't even get a thank you. I'm wondering if they appreciate the extra effort.

I guess i am looking at how i would reply if someone did a lot of extra work for me to help out. I would sent a longer email to show i appreciate/acknowledge the effort. It's not big deal, i am just surprised sometimes that some people do not show appreciation for a favour in the same way i would. Perhaps i am getting a little old-fashioned ;)

...yeah, but how does your client know how much extra effort you went to? You gave them some extra photos and designed an advert for them. Did they ask for the advert or the extra photos? If they didn't and if they don't have a need for any extra stuff, why would you really expect anything other than a thank you?

You are in business. When you get paying clients they will react in all sorts of different ways and "thank you" is probably the least offensive one you will ever strike. Its not personal.

teaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2012 04:11 |  #19

I thinking they probably don't know the full extent of the work involved. However, the extra work was done in response to their ideas and needs. I think you are right when you say it's not personal; they were probably busy and just fired off a one-liner email. I guess this is what happens with email communication. If it were a phonecall or letter then you would never just state two words. Still, a good lesson to let them know just how much is being done additionally rather than just assuming.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 12, 2012 05:43 |  #20

teaco wrote in post #14847179 (external link)
I guess so. I also wonder if they knew how many hours is behind the extra work i did. I might consider itemising how long some of the extra jobs take in the invoice so they are aware of what they got in the final product. At the end of the day i did the extra stuff to help them out. They may be unaware just how much i did.

I think i'll continue giving a few extra freebies here and there, but make sure people know what they are getting. Although i am generally just being a nice guy, i do expect thanks, in the same way that if you helped someone in the street you would expect an appropriate thanks. Doing approx 1 day additional work for someone deserves more that just a two-word email when the final product is delivered. They are good guys so i will definitely pop in and see them when i'm next in their area to see how they are using the photos.

Woah I think we have a bigger issue here. A full day of work extra? How much time was involved in the work they hired you to do? It's nice to be generous and help a business you believe in etc. but that seems very excessive. This leads me to believe there could be more to the email than I originally thought. Maybe they now feel uncomfortable because of how much free work you provided- If the advert isn't something they needed they could even be a little annoyed -Maybe they now assume these free working hours are a service that is normal when hiring you, part of the package they hired you to do, and wish you talked to them to put the hours into a product they need. That amount of work could have them thinking many things.

Really, we won't ever know what they are thinking if anything at all. But a full day of work seems very very excessive to me, depending on the original job.

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 12, 2012 06:04 |  #21

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14847130 (external link)
Hopefully you would use the correct form "You're welcome" :lol:

Hopefully = 'in a hopeful manner'.

Better grammatically to use the active verb form 'I hope . . . '

In 2010 the AP Stylebook finally joined British sub-editors in prohibiting the use of "hopefully" as a disjunct.

:p

~ Wallace
Gear List

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 12, 2012 06:08 |  #22

mattmorgan44 wrote in post #14847467 (external link)
Woah I think we have a bigger issue here. A full day of work extra? How much time was involved in the work they hired you to do? It's nice to be generous and help a business you believe in etc. but that seems very excessive. This leads me to believe there could be more to the email than I originally thought. Maybe they now feel uncomfortable because of how much free work you provided- If the advert isn't something they needed they could even be a little annoyed -Maybe they now assume these free working hours are a service that is normal when hiring you, part of the package they hired you to do, and wish you talked to them to put the hours into a product they need. That amount of work could have them thinking many things.

Really, we won't ever know what they are thinking if anything at all. But a full day of work seems very very excessive to me, depending on the original job.

...yep.

teaco: I'll ask the question again because I don't think your answer was clear: did they ask you to do the advert? Because businesses don't normally ask photographers to do adverts for them. Were you supplied with a brief for the advert? The copy? Because the way you have worded things it sounds like you've given them an advert unsolicited and based the advert on what you thought they wanted. And if you did that to me, I would think you were a bit weird.

As a business you shouldn't be doing things for "thanks." You should be doing things for money, or the potential of money. Why would you itemize work in your invoice for stuff they didn't order? That would make sense if they ordered something and you gave it as a freebee: but this is the complete opposite. I think you need to sit down and rethink your whole approach.

EmyB
128 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2012 06:24 |  #23

I wouldn't be worried by that reply. It will pay off down the track. They are a paying customer getting something extra they didn't ask for, not your Mum getting a special birthday present.

I frequently order various things from online shops and trust me, I remember which ones send little freebies or personal touches along. I have never really "thanked" them for throwing in freebies I didn't even ask for ( I and they know why they are doing it) but they make an impression on me nonetheless.

Emily. :)
Canon 60D | Canon 15-85mm | Sigma 30mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.8 | 430EXII | Bits & Bobs

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 12, 2012 06:37 |  #24

banquetbear wrote in post #14847488 (external link)
...why would you itemize work in your invoice for stuff they didn't order? That would make sense if they ordered something and you gave it as a freebee: but this is the complete opposite. I think you need to sit down and rethink your whole approach.

I have just assumed they didn't ask for it.

Also, that is a good point the OP should consider. If you itemize for items they never wanted and put "free" on the invoice, I think you will loose customers. They will think it is un-professional, may think differently of you, or worse they will think they are paying for it in one form or another (like your prices are higher than they would otherwise be).

EmyB wrote in post #14847507 (external link)
I wouldn't be worried by that reply. It will pay off down the track. They are a paying customer getting something extra they didn't ask for, not your Mum getting a special birthday present.

I frequently order various things from online shops and trust me, I remember which ones send little freebies or personal touches along. I have never really "thanked" them for throwing in freebies I didn't even ask for ( I and they know why they are doing it) but they make an impression on me nonetheless.

All true, as long as the small freebie doesn't turn into something more. A full day of work for a photographer might be beyond a freebie in the sense you are talking about.

5D Mark II | 7D
Some other stuff

tomj
661 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 12, 2012 14:39 as a reply to  @ teaco's post |  #25

"I'll ask the question again because I don't think your answer was clear: did they ask you to do the advert?"

Good question. If this is something they didn't talk to you about, or didn't want, they may actually feel awkward about it, maybe even see it as presumtive on your part.

My experienced is that giving a customer a little freebie (little being key) is a way of showing your gratitude for their business that they can appreciate. A gift of substantial value may be viewed as inappropriate on several levels.

Flickr (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 12, 2012 16:49 |  #26

1) Provide your client an invoice with a $0 balance to show the value of your favor.
2) Provide the client with free poster prints of your work with you logo and contact information clearly visable.
3) The worst thing you can do is to respond negatively to a potential client you have already courted.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 12, 2012 21:42 |  #27

sspellman wrote in post #14849452 (external link)
1) Provide your client an invoice with a $0 balance to show the value of your favor.
2) Provide the client with free poster prints of your work with you logo and contact information clearly visable.
3) The worst thing you can do is to respond negatively to a potential client you have already courted.

#1 is risky business. Don't know if you have followed the thread but he did a full day of work as a "gift". As a few people have already said, sending an invoice for work they never wanted, even with a zero dollar balance, may do a lot more harm than good. For reasons already discussed.

5D Mark II | 7D
Some other stuff

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 12, 2012 22:07 as a reply to  @ mattmorgan44's post |  #28

Perhaps they thought the freebie was you, a photographer, pitching for an ad job and it wasn't the tone or copy they wanted?

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,774 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 13, 2012 09:57 |  #29

Voaky999 wrote in post #14846775 (external link)
I find thank yous in general are in pretty short supply these days.

That's I take special effort to give meaningful thank you messages to clients.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

prakashpn
39 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 13, 2012 09:59 |  #30

I can only remember the quote
"when you are good at something do not do it for free."

sponsored links

3,878 views & 0 likes for this thread
What you get for giving freebie
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.