Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is having inconsistency between your pictures normal?

5W0L3
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 11, 2012 20:56 |  #1

I'm talking about mainly at nightclubs / low light night time indoor receptions where light is constantly changing (DJ Lights) etc... do you guys get inconsistency amongst your pictures? I'm finding that I have to spend a lot of time editing my pictures to make them look good, as where I am expecting them to come out good out of the camera.. is this asking for too much in those conditions?

How do you guys normally shoot these kind of events?.. Also a lot of my pictures come out very orange in colour (skin tones) due to the ambient light at the venues, even though I use bounce flash to light up subjects.. what am i doing wrong.. please help!

My typical settings are using two lenses / two bodies... 35/85mm combo... shutter speeds are usually around 1/125 to allow for some ambient light.. Apertures range from f/1.2 - f/4 depending on how people are standing (in a straight line or an arch).. ISO is usually set to 1600 or 3200.

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 11, 2012 22:04 |  #2

Generally only if I am bracketing shots. If you are not sure of what settings to use you need to bracket to get one in the ballpark. I try to stay in the 100 iso range to minimize my time spent pp. You didn't mention what color balance you are using, that will have an effect on the final product. Most cameras have tungsten,flouro and daylight balance.Try different light source settings.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

5W0L3
THREAD ­ STARTER
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 11, 2012 22:29 |  #3

100 ISO?.. do you mean 1000?.. at 100 ISO any flash would overheat after a while.

I normally use Auto white balance for these events.

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2012 00:14 |  #4

An easy approach i would suggest would be to set your flash to ETTL, pointed up with bounce card up (or use a diffuser), then expose for the ambient light (maybe iso 800, 1/30, f5.6). With that setting you should be able to get groups of people in focus and have the ambient light in the background. Play around with your FEC setting until ou get the desired look.

Hope that helps :)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 12, 2012 14:28 |  #5

Can you post up some images?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 12, 2012 17:03 |  #6

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14848862 (external link)
Can you post up some images?

here are a couple.. :)

IMAGE: http://candycapco.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bradhayleywedding64.jpg

IMAGE: http://candycapco.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bradhayleywedding62.jpg

IMAGE: http://candycapco.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bradhayleywedding63.jpg

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 12, 2012 17:08 |  #7

My style of shooting night life photos is a little different from yours.

Setup was as follows:

Canon Rebel XSi w/ 18-50mm sigma f/2.8 @ f/4.5 — 1/13s
430exII on camera giving focus assist, shooting at 1/64+ 2/3 power
Yongnuo YN 460 in hand, boomed overhead camera left, shooting at 1/8th power, fired through a mini-apollo softbox (8" wide)
custom white balance (basically set to flash)

this provided for extremely consistent shots in a darker nightclub setting.

I could also easily drag the shutter to give some more movement to the shots

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

5W0L3
THREAD ­ STARTER
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 13, 2012 09:35 |  #8

jackinavox wrote in post #14846879 (external link)
An easy approach i would suggest would be to set your flash to ETTL, pointed up with bounce card up (or use a diffuser), then expose for the ambient light (maybe iso 800, 1/30, f5.6). With that setting you should be able to get groups of people in focus and have the ambient light in the background. Play around with your FEC setting until ou get the desired look.

Hope that helps :)

1/30 shutter speed would be too low for me.. especially when using 85mm lens..

Manav
Flickr (external link)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 13, 2012 09:36 |  #9

Those don't look inconsistent to me. Anyway, we don't fuss too much about that as long as exposures are coherent within scenes.

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2012 11:05 |  #10

When the ambient lighting is all sorts of wacky colors, don't try to force the skin tones to be "correct" and natural looking. In situations like this, I'll find some neutral reference to pick for white balance, see where it takes the sliders, then move the sliders halfway back to where they originally were. That cleans up the skin tones just a little bit while still allowing plenty of ambient feel.

If the composition is nice but the mixed light colors are just unbearable, do a B&W conversion. This helps a lot on severely underexposed shots, too.

Frankly, in difficult and changing lighting conditions, you'll probably have to touch each one by hand. As the lights vary in direction, color, and intensity, and as the subjects move nearer and farther from the lights, your exposures are probably going to be all over the place.

The three you posted look pretty good, save for the too-close crop on #2 and the too-near focus on #1. The colors and exposures look fine, because that's what the scene was actually like and that's what the partygoers will want to remember.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 14, 2012 14:40 |  #11

With one flash on camera with a bounce card and two off camera flashes in opposite corners of the room, I manage to get pretty consistent exposures in manual mode. In post, I set a baseline that gets most of the images pretty close, and then individually adjust each image as needed.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is having inconsistency between your pictures normal?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.