Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 07:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So - Would you?

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 13, 2012 07:44 |  #1

My wife and I were at home watching Shark Week last night, specifically the "Air Jaws" segment. For those who might be unaware, they tow a small platform behind a boat at water level with a fake seal about 15 ft. behind the platform to capture great whites coming out of the water to hit the seal.

Wife looks at me and asks "Would you get on that platform to get that picture?"

Without hesitattion, I responded with an emphatic "Hell yes" followed by a "When was the last time you saw a great white period, much less one going airborne?"

My wife now thinks I have lost my mind.

So, my fellow photographers of all ages, sizes and experience levels, would you be willing to get on the sled to photograph a great white going airborne?

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links
AndyB904
174 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2012 07:46 |  #2

yes =]

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
-Wayne Gretzky

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2012 09:39 |  #3

Sure, it's safe.

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 13, 2012 09:53 |  #4

15 ft.? we are going to need a bigger boat.

We were just talking about how we are lucky here in the pacific northwest (US Oregon, Washington) because we have almost no large predators and in a lifetime of being outdoors and on water I haven't seen any animal capable of killing me that wasn't running away as fast as possible.

Flying great whites would probably cause unintentional bladder evacuation, I have lead a sheltered life.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 13, 2012 10:06 as a reply to  @ birdfromboat's post |  #5

Umm, no. I'll happily chase airborne racecars week after week, but huge flying sharks? Nothankyouverymuch.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 13, 2012 10:18 as a reply to  @ Tessa's post |  #6

:) Count me in ... how awsom would that be, a once in a life time kinda thing (might be once b/c the shark gets you before you can do it again lol). Now I can say yes only because I know my wife would never let me :lol:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2012 10:24 |  #7

Yes . I would take as many precautions as I could, but yes.

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 13, 2012 10:54 |  #8

Absolutely!

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2012 10:55 |  #9

Yes. I ain't afraid-a no shark.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sjones
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 13, 2012 11:07 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #10

Nope; simply because I have no desire to photograph sharks.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 13, 2012 11:25 |  #11

No, but if you do, post your shots here. That'll be good enough for me.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 13, 2012 16:17 |  #12

huntersdad wrote in post #14851563 (external link)
My wife and I were at home watching Shark Week last night, specifically the "Air Jaws" segment. For those who might be unaware, they tow a small platform behind a boat at water level with a fake seal about 15 ft. behind the platform to capture great whites coming out of the water to hit the seal.

Wife looks at me and asks "Would you get on that platform to get that picture?"

Without hesitattion, I responded with an emphatic "Hell yes" followed by a "When was the last time you saw a great white period, much less one going airborne?"

My wife now thinks I have lost my mind.

So, my fellow photographers of all ages, sizes and experience levels, would you be willing to get on the sled to photograph a great white going airborne?

I would make sure that platform was very secure!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 13, 2012 17:41 |  #13

I would (before anyone got on the platform) cut the rope and sabotage the whole affair.

I'm very much against F-ing with Great White sharks. Recently a guy got bitten in half (a surfer) in Australia while a little farther out some jerk was chumming the water so that tourists could see the sharks. And the guy chumming (using blood) wanted to blow the whole thing off as a coincidence. Maybe, but that's one hell of a coincidence.

Leave the darn things alone. It's one thing to be out there in a boat where they naturally feed, and perhaps you'll get lucky and shoot one (hopefully with a telephoto from far away so as not to disturb them) as they feed, but don't dump blood or fake seals in the water. That's just ignorant. Just get out there, give them space, and wait patiently. That's why they invented alcohol and ear buds. You sit all day with your buddies, drink some beer, and aim your camera. As long as the captain is sober and you aren't teasing the animals (or throwing trash overboard) no harm/no foul.

But if you like dragging plastic seals through the ocean you might as well drive a Jeep through the Savannah dragging a large, plastic zebra so that you can see Cheetahs or lions chase them. It's pretty much the same thing, and it's not cool.

That's my opinion as someone who has spend countless hours in the ocean from about the age of seven, surfing, diving, swimming, relaxing, etc. I always have a bit of fear about sharks, but that will never stop me from enjoying the water. I just have to accept that I'm a step lower on the food chain out there, but I don't need some jokers reminding the sharks that they are hungry. Plus, it takes a lot of energy to chase down and attack that "seal". So the shark gets a piece of plastic?

What's next, remote-control mouse in a field so you can tease the hawks and get a good photo?

If you want to do that kind of thing, just use the old fishing string and dollar bill trick and watch some guy run down the sidewalk chasing money.

Thank you. bw!

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 13, 2012 19:03 |  #14

For science? Yeah. Studying how they attack is pretty cool sounding to me, as well as being able to see it first hand? Why not. I would make sure that I'm securely harnessed and safe before doing anything like that though.

Deep sea + Monstrosity that can tear me apart? Two of my biggest fears. As much of a fear junkie I am, I will be safe when I look that thing in the eye.

BTW, I was just watching whatever Shark Week episodes I can on Netflix. :D

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

shkspr
116 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 13, 2012 20:59 |  #15

when are we going?

www.tjsphotographic.co​m (external link) http://shkspr.devianta​rt.com/ (external link) www.tjsphotographic.ze​nfolio.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
So - Would you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.