Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

U2711 Now or wait for U2713?

cfvisuals
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 13, 2012 02:19 |  #1

I realized there's a drop in U2711 price on amazon, I am not sure if I should wait for the new U2713 or go for the U2711?
I don't exactly sure how to determine the quality of a monitor other than knowing the more bits an IPS gets, the better.

I definitely need some info, need computer hardware knowledgeable PoTn member's help.

Thank you.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 13, 2012 13:27 |  #2

consider U2713 isn't out, there's no way to tell. in theory it would look better than U2711. however they both have this anti-glare coating which is a turnoff for lots of people.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

lizzle
80 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 14, 2012 18:02 |  #3

Look for the U2713 to start shipping in about a month.

The U2713 will have a new panel type.... the AH - IPS. It's really just a more energy efficient panel. If you are an energy efficiency aficionado, then this is the flat panel for you, otherwise, you might be just as well off with the U2711.

On paper I don't see a lot of differences... the U2711 actually has a faster response time and apparently a wider color gamut... but I haven't tested both side by side so I can't really say which looks better in the real world.

Aesthetically I do like the U2711's squared off corners instead of the rounded edges, but that's just me.

Either way, you can't really go wrong. Me personally, I'd take the deal on the U2711.

Body:5D MKIII & 7D
EF-S: 10-22mm, 60mm 2.8 macro
EF: 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, 400mm 5.6L, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS
Lights: AB1600, 2x LP160, 430ex, various modifiers

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 15, 2012 01:56 |  #4

lizzle wrote in post #14858943 (external link)
Look for the U2713 to start shipping in about a month.

The U2713 will have a new panel type.... the AH - IPS. It's really just a more energy efficient panel. If you are an energy efficiency aficionado, then this is the flat panel for you, otherwise, you might be just as well off with the U2711.

On paper I don't see a lot of differences... the U2711 actually has a faster response time and apparently a wider color gamut... but I haven't tested both side by side so I can't really say which looks better in the real world.

Aesthetically I do like the U2711's squared off corners instead of the rounded edges, but that's just me.

Either way, you can't really go wrong. Me personally, I'd take the deal on the U2711.

Yes thank you all.
Actually since it's just another gimmick type of thing, the high performance IPS. I pulled the trigger on U2711 and got it for $720 free shipped on Amazon.

flickr (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,352 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 15, 2012 15:23 |  #5

Is the new one getting a USB 3.0 hub and card reader? That would be nice. A different anti-glare coating would be nice too since a lot of reviews have said the current one is too thick and blurs the image.

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 15, 2012 16:21 |  #6

I heard they took away the card reader, not sure about the USB 3.0.

flickr (external link)

lizzle
80 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 15, 2012 17:26 |  #7

No more card reader and there will be 3 downstream USB 3.0 ports (two on the side, one on the bottom), and the same anti glare hard coat 3H.

EF: 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, 400mm 5.6L, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 16, 2012 13:02 |  #8

lizzle wrote in post #14863193 (external link)
the same anti glare hard coat 3H.

i.e., still going to suck, a lot.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

lizzle
80 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 16, 2012 19:47 |  #9

HyperYagami wrote in post #14866684 (external link)
i.e., still going to suck, a lot.

That's a matter of opinion. It serves a purpose, and a good one at that.

For any kind of photo editing or graphic design, I prefer it over a glossy screen. I can't see any reflections, ambient/window light doesn't affect it, and you get a more accurate and consistent representation of what you're looking at (which is pretty much the whole idea of an IPS monitor).

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 23, 2012 06:40 as a reply to  @ lizzle's post |  #10

my U2711 on the way - will give a report once its all set up & running

Gear List

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 23, 2012 19:17 |  #11

I still haven't calibrated my U2711, just received it last weekend.

So far the anti-glare coating hasn't caused me any trouble. I don't notice it's there.
I am using the monitor in sRGB mode and found that it's a bit oversaturated on color red, I had to tune it down a bit.

Actually I am quite confuse on calibration, say if I were to go and buy a SpyderPro, what will I gain in the end? I understand it's mostly for color consistency but I wonder if there' will be a marginal increase in viewing/displaying quality?

flickr (external link)

ClassicJ
155 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 24, 2012 01:06 |  #12

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14898531 (external link)
I still haven't calibrated my U2711, just received it last weekend.

So far the anti-glare coating hasn't caused me any trouble. I don't notice it's there.
I am using the monitor in sRGB mode and found that it's a bit oversaturated on color red, I had to tune it down a bit.

Actually I am quite confuse on calibration, say if I were to go and buy a SpyderPro, what will I gain in the end? I understand it's mostly for color consistency but I wonder if there' will be a marginal increase in viewing/displaying quality?

Whats your thoughts on text and whites. Some folks mentioned that text it hard to read and not as smooth, and the whites dont look as white or slightly gray due to the AG. Im ready to pull the trigger on a U3011. But cant seem to push myself to that point yet.

Canon 5D MarkIII | 135L | 70-200L IS II
Canon G16

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2012 07:01 |  #13

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14898531 (external link)
Actually I am quite confuse on calibration, say if I were to go and buy a SpyderPro, what will I gain in the end?

You will be sure that what you see is correct & consistent over time. So "all" it does is take one variable out of the equation.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 25, 2012 23:00 |  #14

ClassicJ wrote in post #14899759 (external link)
Whats your thoughts on text and whites. Some folks mentioned that text it hard to read and not as smooth, and the whites dont look as white or slightly gray due to the AG. Im ready to pull the trigger on a U3011. But cant seem to push myself to that point yet.

I had the same problem because I was too lazy to switch the cable. At first I thought the monitor was broken then I went to the manual and it required me to switch my old DVI cable to the new DVI (with more pins, I forgot its exact name.) which came with the U2711 monitor.

After I switched the cable, the texts and everything became smooth. I have good eyes I can see the text at 100% size, but even if I do enlarge it to 150% or 200%, they are still very smooth.
The white is very hard to say whether it's accurate or not. I turn the brightness up and down a bit due to different lighting condition. Say going from high to low brightness, the light goes a bit gray on white but I am not sure whether if it's a visual trick my eyes are pulling or it actually went gray.

flickr (external link)

lowrider
797 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 25, 2012 23:30 as a reply to  @ cfvisuals's post |  #15

Just my opinion. but think about the Hewlett Packard IPS Monitors. When I bought my HPZR24w, I almost went with the Dell, but with my setup, it's much more convenient to have the adjustment buttons on the bottom rather than on the side. The Picture is superb IMHO with no dead pixels, and the Anti-Glare coating is also very good.

Lou

sponsored links

13,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
U2711 Now or wait for U2713?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.