Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 02:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question: how to make it?

limmes
34 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2012 02:47 |  #1

Hello,

the photos in links below have interesting crystal clearness and crisp:
http://www.dz-foto.lt …varas/AA_VESTUV​ES_020.JPG (external link)
http://www.dz-foto.lt …varas/AA_VESTUV​ES_022.JPG (external link)
http://www.dz-foto.lt …tuves/2012/ausr​a-aivaras/ (external link)

How that is achieved? Is that post processing? Camera? lenses?
If that were studio shots - I would maybe guess that it's lighting, but these photos are taken in lot of different situations.
I Google for clear crisp photos, but everywhere advises for good exposure, focus and etc.

There is my photo with good exposure and focus, but there is no that crystal clear picture:
https://docs.google.co​m …1dGKlJOkUPOVVGN​mdLZXVUVmM (external link)

Any ideas how to get that view?

sponsored links
onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 13, 2012 08:57 |  #2

Assuming that focus is correct, sharpness is primarily driven by the quality of the lens, although sharpening in post can really make edges and details pop nicely. The difference in sharpness between a bog standard kit lens and something like, say, the Canon 135mm f/2 L, is huge.

I can't access your own example as it's asking me to log into my Google account, for some reason.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

limmes
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2012 09:09 as a reply to  @ onona's post |  #3

My shot is made with EF 85mm f/1.8

In upper left corner there is File menu. Click it and then choose Download (about 6Mb file)
It works for me when I'm logged out

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 13, 2012 09:21 |  #4

I mean no offence, but I'm not going to download a 6mb file off your server (and even if I wanted to, I'm browsing on an iPad so it's not really an option). If you want to show your image, it would be better to host the image on Flickr or another image host, and post it directly here.

Having said that, the 85mm f/1.8 can shoot pretty damn sharp images once you stop it down to f/2.8 and beyond. I've used that lens to shoot at a lot of gigs and have never had major sharpness issues with it; it's a surprisingly good lens for the price. The important thing to bear in mind with it is simply that you're not going to get maximum sharpness when the lens is wide open.

Leigh

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2012 09:53 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Is not about the lens. You can get the same DOF look shooting with a fast lens. It is all about the lighting. She is standing by the a window. A bounce flash off the ceiling was used, maybe using a very low power. F2.8 or faster. High ISO.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 13, 2012 10:01 |  #6

Errr, I don't wish to be argumentative, but at the end of the day, it is about the lens. Sharpness is primarily determined by the quality of the optics; shoot that same scene with high end glass and entry level glass, and you'd see a difference in sharpness. Not that sharpness is the be all and end all of photography, but the original post was specifically asking about the clarity of the image. While lighting and other environmental factors indeed play a role, the sharpness inherent in the image is due largely to the quality of the glass.

Unless I am misunderstanding what the original poster is actually asking about.

Leigh

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2012 10:03 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

onona wrote in post #14852090 (external link)
Errr, I don't wish to be argumentative, but at the end of the day, it is about the lens. Sharpness is primarily determined by the quality of the optics; shoot that same scene with high end glass and entry level glass, and you'd see a difference in sharpness. Not that sharpness is the be all and end all of photography, but the original post was specifically asking about the clarity of the image. While lighting and other environmental factors indeed play a role, the sharpness inherent in the image is due largely to the quality of the glass.

As long as you aren't shooting with a kit lens, you are fine. :) EF 35 f2, 50 f1.4, and even other third party zoom lenses (Tamron 17-50 f2.8) would do. No, you don't need a 35L or 50L or even some Carl Zeiss lenses to get this shot. Is all about the light. The lighting makes these shots. Not the lens.

Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2012 10:07 |  #8

Its a number of things. Good lens, good light, good composition (keeping clutter away forces you to see the subject. Top notch post processing helps too. arguing lens over light or vice versa is like arguing which ingredient is most important in a good cake.

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 13, 2012 10:10 |  #9

At no point did I say you NEED any specific lenses to shoot this particular image, I mentioned the 135mm L and compared it to kit glass only to illustrate a point about optic quality in different lenses; it wasn't a suggestion or guess as to what glass had been used in the mentioned examples. My understanding of the original post is that he's asking about the crisp clarity in the image, and when from my perspective, that sharpness comes from decent quality glass, not the lighting. The lighting surely provided ideal settings for shooting, I'm not disputing that. But lighting alone does not create sharp images.

Leigh

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2012 10:16 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

onona wrote in post #14852128 (external link)
At no point did I say you NEED any specific lenses to shoot this particular image, I mentioned the 135mm L and compared it to kit glass only to illustrate a point about optic quality in different lenses; it wasn't a suggestion or guess as to what glass had been used in the mentioned examples. My understanding of the original post is that he's asking about the crisp clarity in the image, and when from my perspective, that sharpness comes from decent quality glass, not the lighting. The lighting surely provided ideal settings for shooting, I'm not disputing that. But lighting alone does not create sharp images.

Hmm...hehehe...I have no comments. :cool: The sooner you learn to "see with the light," the better your photography skill will become. After all, when does a $5k L lens can shoot in the dark???

Facebook (external link)

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 13, 2012 10:30 |  #11

TooManyShots wrote in post #14852150 (external link)
Hmm...hehehe...I have no comments. :cool: The sooner you learn to "see with the light," the better your photography skill will become. After all, when does a $5k L lens can shoot in the dark???

Wow, it's like you're actually just looking for an argument. I mean, you're clearly not even reading my posts properly, and now you have the audacity to tell me about what I need to know to improve my photography? Complete with passive aggressive smilies and all. Wow, I had no idea I was talking to Photography Jesus.

Is there an ignore list option on this site? If there is, you'll be having the ignoble honour of being the first on it. I have no time for people like you.

Leigh

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2012 10:31 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

onona wrote in post #14852202 (external link)
Wow, it's like you're actually just looking for an argument. I mean, you're clearly not even reading my posts properly, and now you have the audacity to tell me about what I need to know to improve my photography? Complete with passive aggressive smilies and all. Wow, I had no idea I was talking to Photography Jesus.

Is there an ignore list option on this site? If there is, you'll be having the ignoble honour of being the first on it. I have no time for people like you.

For someone who has only 13 posts and joined up this month, you seem to have a bit of self-righteousness issue. :) Oh dear....... I will leave you alone for now.

Facebook (external link)

limmes
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 13, 2012 15:13 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #13

here's my photo in a flickr:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I see that you write that it's the lighting. But if you would check third example link
(http://www.dz-foto.lt …tuves/2012/ausr​a-aivaras/ (external link)),
so there are much more photos. At home, street, park, church. Everywhere the same clearness, crisp and bright colours.
So it not the lighting. Maybe lens +plus PP?
Any quess about combination?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2012 15:18 |  #14

limmes wrote in post #14853316 (external link)

I see that you write that it's the lighting. But if you would check third example link
so there are much more photos. At home, street, park, church. Everywhere the same clearness, crisp and bright colours.

Do you think lighting only means artificial lighting? It means taking advantage of good light and not shooting in bad light, regardless of its source. I would rather use bad lenses in good light, than great lenses in bad light. Thank god I dont have to make that choice.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2012 15:24 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

limmes wrote in post #14853316 (external link)

Thanks for the link. With shots like these, who needs the groom...LOL FYI, notice how the skin looks on all the women. No blemish and smooth. Is it possible? It is only possible through good post processing. Maybe some sort of skin smoothing technique was used. You want a clean, smooth shot? Try to tone down your raw sharpening and contrast...... :)

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,254 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question: how to make it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.