Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Interesting Craigslist Post

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 13, 2012 18:59 as a reply to  @ post 14854303 |  #16

Although I do not argue the point the CL ad is making, many Canon L lenses are selling for more now used than they cost new. 135L and 400 f2.8L I or II (non-IS) come to mind.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
smacatl
Goldmember
1,537 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 13, 2012 19:26 |  #17

Hot Bob wrote in post #14854338 (external link)
Although I do not argue the point the CL ad is making, many Canon L lenses are selling for more now used than they cost new. 135L and 400 f2.8L I or II (non-IS) come to mind.

Bob

Some of you people on here are absolutely retarded, do you really think your camera that is 5 years old is worth more now then it was then? Do you think a used Canon 7d is worth $1400 when you can buy them BRAND NEW on ebay for $1200? Do you think a used ****ty kit lens is worth what it was 3 years ago? Do you believe a canon 70-300mm is worth retail still? Get a grip you dum%#*^, there is a reason your gear isn't selling. IT'S USED!

Good point - the CL post should read ".... There is a reason your gear isn't selling. IT'S OVERPRICED!"

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,336 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2012 19:29 as a reply to  @ Hot Bob's post |  #18

While I understand the urge to jump on CL and warn people about high prices, I don't think it's the right thing to do. There have been CL ads here for older equipment where the owner was looking for way too much money. Close to what the camera cost new 5 years ago. Some CL vigilante kept posting an ad accusing the seller of being a ripoff artist who was trying to take advantage of people. His bogus ads kept getting flagged. CL is no different than a garage or yard sale. People can put whatever price they want on things and it's up to the buyer to be savvy enough to know what something is worth. They don't allow price policing here and that is a good thing. I've seen stuff selling here for way too much money (IMO) and then been surprised to see it was sold later. Good for the seller, not so bright for the buyer if they indeed paid the asking price.

If you see someone on CL asking high prices, let it be. It's not your place to tell someone what they can ask for a given item.

Mark J.
Gear

smacatl
Goldmember
1,537 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 13, 2012 19:49 |  #19

M_Six wrote in post #14854439 (external link)
If you see someone on CL asking high prices, let it be. It's not your place to tell someone what they can ask for a given item.

Good point - obviously the market sets the price, not the seller. Price it too high and it won't sell - too low and you'll leave money on the table.

I think the biggest source of frustration with Craigslist is the repeated over posts of the same overpriced crap every day.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2012 20:54 |  #20

smacatl wrote in post #14854516 (external link)
Good point - obviously the market sets the price, not the seller. Price it too high and it won't sell - too low and you'll leave money on the table.

I think the biggest source of frustration with Craigslist is the repeated over posts of the same overpriced crap every day.

I agree. That frustrates me as well, especially when it's my new ad they bury with their stupid reposting of stuff that won't sell. Just one of the many things you have to deal with when you use CL. I've had my 24-105mm up for over a week and all I've gotten are three scam replies. It's a slow time around my area with the students gone, but maybe when they come back in two weeks things will pick up.

Mark J.
Gear

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 13, 2012 21:07 |  #21

It's back to school time. It's harder to get the CFO's (wife's) permission to buy stuff at this time of year. "You want to spend how much for more camera crap now when Junior needs a new iPad for school..?"

Give it a few weeks and sales and prices should come back to normal...

MATT0404
485 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2012 00:55 |  #22

Similar post in my local craigslist as a guy posts his Nikon D90 (body only) daily for $895.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 14, 2012 03:43 |  #23

Lots of people overpay and don't realize you can get better deals online. I have met many people who never even heard of Amazon or Ebay. If you think Craigs List prices are bad you should check out a few Pawn Shops. I've seen used speakers for example priced higher then new retail and there are suckers who will pay the price.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 14, 2012 05:34 |  #24

isoMorphic wrote in post #14855903 (external link)
Lots of people overpay and don't realize you can get better deals online. I have met many people who never even heard of Amazon or Ebay. If you think Craigs List prices are bad you should check out a few Pawn Shops. I've seen used speakers for example priced higher then new retail and there are suckers who will pay the price.

I stopped into a pawn shop about a month ago. They had a Sears 70-210 with an unknown mount, with a stuck end cap (I got it off for them). Asking price - $150. They only wanted $75 for the Albinar 28mm. What a deal...........

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2012 09:35 |  #25

Very true. But those people get what they deserve for not looking around first. If someone holds a yard sale and has an old Briggs & Stratton mower priced at $400 and some sap buys it, is the seller a thief or is the buyer an idiot?

Mark J.
Gear

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 14, 2012 09:43 |  #26

M_Six wrote in post #14856798 (external link)
Very true. But those people get what they deserve for not looking around first. If someone holds a yard sale and has an old Briggs & Stratton mower priced at $400 and some sap buys it, is the seller a thief or is the buyer an idiot?

BOTH.....:)

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

BigSky
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 14, 2012 09:56 |  #27

You can thank the advent of the internet for the higher prices in pawn shops nowadays. It used to be a knowledgeable customer (buyer) had the advantage, for lack of a better term, when buying. Now, almost every pawn shop researches ebay, etc., when pricing their items.

CanonCleGuy
680 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 14, 2012 09:58 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Hot Bob wrote in post #14854338 (external link)

Bob

You forgot a most important lens in this category: Canon 24-70L

This was sold for $1099 Brand new on Amazon for a day or so a few months back. Now used are selling for close to $1350 :rolleyes:

5D Mark 3 | 7D + BG-E7 | 60D (Wife)
70-200 II L | 50 L | 100mm L | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 2X III | 28-135 (Wife) Wishlist: BG-E11 + 24-70 L, 24-70 II L , 1DX :shock:
600 EX-RT | 430 EX II | Manfrotto tripod + head | Lowepro

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 14, 2012 10:15 |  #29

CanonCleGuy wrote in post #14856913 (external link)
You forgot a most important lens in this category: Canon 24-70L

This was sold for $1099 Brand new on Amazon for a day or so a few months back. Now used are selling for close to $1350 :rolleyes:

I sold my 24-70 used last year for a little bit more than I paid for it new a few years before that.

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 14, 2012 10:57 |  #30

IVIax wrote in post #14857004 (external link)
I sold my 24-70 used last year for a little bit more than I paid for it new a few years before that.

I believe in most cases you can use a Canon L lens for about 3-4 years for free as long as you take care of it.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links

3,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interesting Craigslist Post
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.