Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus Question - Please Help!!!

Pipernails
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 13, 2012 20:46 |  #1

Hello,

I had some focus/tracking issues earlier this year and with football season fast approaching, I'm hoping the Canon community can help me.

In a nutshell, I shot youth lacrosse and baseball and noticed the focus often shifted away from the center AF point, usually to the left. I've attached a couple of photos to illustrate. It might be difficult to make out, but the player to the left is in focus and the player in the center is a soft focus.

Here are the settings I used:

Canon Mark III 1D with 70-200mm f2.8L

Manual (sometimes AV or TV depending on conditions), AI Servo, Rear Button Focus, Center AF point (most of the time) with inner 9 points assist.

C. Fn III (Moved AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity to the left)
C. Fn III (AF priority/Tracking Priority)
C. Fn III (4:1 Continuous AF Track Priority)
C. Fn III (8:2 Enable - Surrounding Assist Point)
C. Fn III (9:1 Inner 9 points)
C. Fn IV (1:3 AE lock/metering + AF Start
C. Fn IV (2:1 AF-ON/AE lock button switch - Enable)

I know with a single AF point and a narrow DOF, there is a good chance that some of my shots won't be spot on. That being said, is there something I should be doing differently?

Should I continue to use the surrounding assist points?
Should I continue to use the Inner 9 points?
What is the advantage of using the Inner 9 versus others?

What would you recommend for shooting football?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Laura

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 14, 2012 18:27 |  #2

For Lacrosse I would use only single point with no assist. The reason being that the action takes place with lots of moving players with moving parts. All of your settings are how I shoot sports with my 1DmkIII.

The two photos you posted have players on different focal planes. Unless you stop down your aperture size you will not get the surrounding players in focus if they are not in the same focal plane as your target.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 14, 2012 19:07 |  #3

Quick thoughts. Don't use the 9 point assist, go to no assist or surrounding points only. Also use bigger DOF to get more in focus.

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 14, 2012 19:08 |  #4

ajaffe wrote in post #14859024 (external link)
The two photos you posted have players on different focal planes. Unless you stop down your aperture size you will not get the surrounding players in focus if they are not in the same focal plane as your target.

I agree, check the DOF
http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

if you want a sharper pic for a group of players (even though you focus on one player), you will need to use a higher (smaller) aperture

e.g.
random group lacrosse pic

XSi (450D)
Canon 100-400
F6.3
200mm
1/1250

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7056/6938120767_2eaeb491c8_z.jpg

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 16, 2012 14:47 |  #5

I've been using center AF point only for about 4+ years with pretty good results with the 1dIII.

Remember, if the players are changing direction rapidly or decel/accelerating quickly, the camera may have difficulty keeping focus constantly. It sometimes helps to "pump" the focus button, obtain focus and then wait a second to start shooting.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focus Question - Please Help!!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.