Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm a newby

missjtiger
69 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 14, 2012 18:29 |  #1

Glad I found this place and hope I'm in the right forum. If I have a few stupid questions to ask about my new 5D Mark II do I ask here ? I

new to serious photography but learning !
http://www.facebook.co​m/janice.kolb (external link)

sponsored links
Sacadelic
585 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 14, 2012 18:31 |  #2

Sure...

-Sac
Feedback

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 14, 2012 18:34 as a reply to  @ Sacadelic's post |  #3

Hi missjtiger, and welcome. You're in the right section. ;)

Kel
Gear

missjtiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 14, 2012 18:38 |  #4

dummy me thought (yeah yeah I know) that my Rebel lenses would fit the Mark II...oh well. Any tips on getting started with the new camera ? I have had the Rebel T1i for about 2 years now. Surprised how heavy the Mark is. What lens do you suggest for me other than the 2 I have (100mm f/2.8 macro usm and the er 70-300mm f/ 4-5.6 IS usm....what is comparable to the efs 18-55mm that I have for the Rebel ? sorry to be so dumb but can't help it.

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2012 18:43 |  #5

missjtiger wrote in post #14859055 (external link)
dummy me thought (yeah yeah I know) that my Rebel lenses would fit the Mark II...oh well. Any tips on getting started with the new camera ? I have had the Rebel T1i for about 2 years now. Surprised how heavy the Mark is. What lens do you suggest for me other than the 2 I have (100mm f/2.8 macro usm and the er 70-300mm f/ 4-5.6 IS usm....what is comparable to the efs 18-55mm that I have for the Rebel ? sorry to be so dumb but can't help it.

Well if you want something wide for your FF camera, why not the EF 17-40mm ?

Welcome to POTN :)

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

-dave-m-
491 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 14, 2012 18:46 as a reply to  @ missjtiger's post |  #6

You should provide some more info. What types of photography do you do? Do you have a budget in mind? Do you plan to stick with Canon only or are you open to 3rd party lenses such as Sigma?

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

missjtiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 14, 2012 18:54 as a reply to  @ post 14859078 |  #7

I have searched..alot...but confused, thank you very much. So, I did order the ef 24-105mm f/4 L is usm today. Will that be a pretty good every-day lens for portrait type pics ? My absolute favorite things to shoot are my dogs, my garden, my flowers and sunrise and sunsets. My most favorite is clouds. I do take a fair amount of action shots at college basketball & football games. Does that help ?

vincent_su
843 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2012 19:02 |  #8

I was going to suggest either 24-70 or 24-105. Both are good for the subjects you like.
However, for the action/ sport shoots, your 70-300 may be a little bit slow depends on the lighting condition. If you have been using them without problems, then it's all good.
Have fun.

Vincent
"My dark room is bright and I like it."
5Diii; 24-105 f/4; 100 Macro f/2.8; 17-40 f/4; 70-200 f/4 IS; 100-400 II; TS-E90 and stuff.

missjtiger
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 14, 2012 19:10 |  #9

vincent_su wrote in post #14859141 (external link)
I was going to suggest either 24-70 or 24-105. Both are good for the subjects you like.
However, for the action/ sport shoots, your 70-300 may be a little bit slow depends on the lighting condition. If you have been using them without problems, then it's all good.
Have fun.

thanks...have never used them...just got the camera yesterday and bought the card today so battery is charging right now....can't wait to try it out. Memory cards....what's the difference in the ultra and extreme or whatever they call it ? I ended up just going to WalMart and buying the SanDisk ultra 4gb and a few 8gb. What does the 30 200X mean ? thanks for all the help !

vinhtran
194 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 14, 2012 19:10 |  #10

missjtiger wrote in post #14859114 (external link)
I have searched..alot...but confused, thank you very much. So, I did order the ef 24-105mm f/4 L is usm today. Will that be a pretty good every-day lens for portrait type pics ? My absolute favorite things to shoot are my dogs, my garden, my flowers and sunrise and sunsets. My most favorite is clouds. I do take a fair amount of action shots at college basketball & football games. Does that help ?

for portrait, just get the 50mm 1.8

5D3 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L II

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2012 19:48 |  #11

missjtiger wrote in post #14859114 (external link)

The 24-105 is a great "all-rounder" lens :) It can take nice portraits at 105mm at f/4 - zooms blur the background nicest when at their max focal range.

I've used my 24-105 to shoot equestrian sports, in good lighting outdoors its great and Ive never had any issues with it. Its good "do-everything" type lens, but that doesn't mean it does everything "excellently" - as certain lenses have more specific uses, but its definitely good enough for most things and its never disappointed me :)

For example if you want a lens specifically for portraits (humans and pets alike) you could look at the EF 50mm f/1.8 - its dead cheap (and build likewise) but the f/1.8 aperture allows you to shoot in lower light (where an f/4 would struggle) - as well as have the DOF be narrow enough to provide nice, appealing subject isolation and background blur that is appreciated in portraiture.

missjtiger wrote in post #14859168 (external link)
thanks...have never used them...just got the camera yesterday and bought the card today so battery is charging right now....can't wait to try it out. Memory cards....what's the difference in the ultra and extreme or whatever they call it ? I ended up just going to WalMart and buying the SanDisk ultra 4gb and a few 8gb. What does the 30 200X mean ? thanks for all the help !

Memory cards are important, especially if you want to get the most out of the speed your camera can write data (the pictures) to the card. This is especially true when using high-speed continuous mode, and firing off a rapid fire of shots (fps - frames per second). The faster the card, the less the buffer has to work to write the data, and the more shots and quicker response time your camera has to continue shooting.

Sandisk is a good brand, so is Lexar. Depending on how much you shoot, I would have gotten a higher capacity card (the amount of GB) - you could keep those 4GB and 8GB cards as backups. It would be a pain if you filled them up to have to keep changing cards in the middle of a shoot, which could make you miss moments. By high-capacity, I mean anything from 16gb / 32gb / 64gb. I could fill up a 4gb card in half an hour.

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2012 19:51 |  #12

24-105L is a perfect walk-around lens. You will enjoy it!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ickmcdon
323 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 14, 2012 21:13 |  #13

24-105 is the perfect choice. Congrats!

vincent_su
843 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 14, 2012 22:24 |  #14

missjtiger wrote in post #14859168 (external link)

If your budget can swing, I would suggest at least 16GB if you shoot raw. If you want to shoot video, 32GB will be good.
As for the speed of CF card, 133x, 200x or 400x, etc, you can convert 133x to 20MB/s, 400x to 60MB/s, etc. The CF card can only perform as fast as the camera can. For 5D2, I used 30MB/s (200x) without any problems.
However, if you have a fast computer and connection components, you can benefit from faster CF card for download speed.

Vincent
"My dark room is bright and I like it."
5Diii; 24-105 f/4; 100 Macro f/2.8; 17-40 f/4; 70-200 f/4 IS; 100-400 II; TS-E90 and stuff.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 14, 2012 22:31 |  #15

vincent_su wrote in post #14859936 (external link)
If your budget can swing, I would suggest at least 16GB if you shoot raw. If you want to shoot video, 32GB will be good.
As for the speed of CF card, 133x, 200x or 400x, etc, you can convert 133x to 20MB/s, 400x to 60MB/s, etc. The CF card can only perform as fast as the camera can. For 5D2, I used 30MB/s (200x) without any problems.
However, if you have a fast computer and connection components, you can benefit from faster CF card for download speed.

Really, only with USB 3. But yeah, divide the ___x by ~6 for MB/s. The "class" (ie class 4, 6, 10), is more for video, and is a measure of the minimum MB's read rate(in MB/s.. Class 10 shouldn't drop below 10MB/s that the card can sustain. Cheaper brands often fail to meet their stated "class" rating though. Higher MB/s can help with fast burst speeds though, until the buffer camera's buffer fills. Unless you're rattling off high bursts, that card should suffice.

Kel
Gear

sponsored links

3,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm a newby
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.