Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm so happy right now. Just have to tell you guys.

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 19, 2012 15:23 |  #1

I got my new Blackrapid RS-4 (free of charge) in the mail today.
Those guys are so serviceminded and of assistance.

Backstory.
I have the old RS-4 (the original with the weird connection and screw) and i wrote to them and was unhappy that they dident swap these for people who was there in the beginning and supported them when they knew the old connections was not working properly/safely.
I got a mail a few hours later were they asked me to send in a photo of my RS-4.. so i did that and the next day they asked for my adress.. and 5 days later the package landed in the mail.
The NEW and improved RS-4 with two bumbers, the little pocket with zipper and the connectR 2 and fastnR 3 and all in stainless.

Now thats what i call customerservice.. i'm loyal to them, and they show their gratitude by giving me an RS-4 for free. They even included a nice sticker.. it's going on the car tomorrow :D

Just had to tell you guys.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
kins
141 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 19, 2012 15:26 |  #2

they are an awesome company and a great product :)

50D: nifty fifty : 28/200: 18/55 : 17/85 : 70/200 f4 L : 17/70 f2.8

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 20, 2012 01:59 |  #3

And nOw the PotN effect. They'll be getting so many emails they will have to stop sending out new straps!

kMatt
113 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 20, 2012 02:05 |  #4

Down_Shift wrote in post #14743297 (external link)
And nOw the PotN effect. They'll be getting so many emails they will have to stop sending out new straps!

LOL. bw!

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 21, 2012 01:45 |  #5

Pretty cool.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 22, 2012 09:52 |  #6

great customer service is almost as good as a great product. Kudos to them.

Nice to hear.

Gvr4-330
31 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 22, 2012 17:37 as a reply to  @ MDJAK's post |  #7

Cool! Nice to hear their service is good.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2012 21:58 |  #8

Ok, I'm walking into this thing late. What's this about BlackRapid RS-4's early designs being flawed and how it has been acknowledged by the company and recently revised?

My RS-4 is two years old. I am ready to douse it with gasoline and and take a match to it as I've had a second incident with it recently. Finding this post may have me re-consider the torching idea in favour of contacting the company. Please read my story:

Four days ago I attended a major league ball game and thought I'd take my 5D Mark III along and get some shots. I instinctively attached the RS-4 because I didn't want to have any accidents during my time out. At one point during the game I decided to tighten the screw/fastener to the camera as well as the safety screw that's attached to the clip. I made it TIGHT.

After the game we decided to hit the town and do some walking and sight seeing.Typically I'll hold on to the camera while the RS-4 is around my neck just to reduce the amount of bouncing while the camera is hanging by my side. Here's the the part that gets ****'ed up. At one point of our walk I'm standing on a dock by the harbour with the camera in my hand and I'm JUST ABOUT to release the battery grip to allow the camera to hang by the strap when I see that the camera is NO LONGER ATTACHED to the strap. Now this part must be read with complete trust and belief because I s-h-i-t you not, the screw in fastener was still TIGHTLY secured in the camera *AND* the safety screw that's on the latch/clip was also fully tightened just as I had left it at the ball game.

Photo: a clip and a fastener attached together as it should be! Only detachable if the safety piece is un-screwed.

IMAGE: http://www.saggiamente.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/blackrapid-rs5-048.jpg

That safety screw you see on the clip/carabener - it was tight. Very tight. The fastener on the right that goes into the tripod socket - it was disconnected but still tightly secured to the camera. WTF?

You know that old magic trick, 'the magic, golden rings"? That's basically what I was looking at, but the real thing. Maybe somebody could shed some light on exactly what had happened, because what I was looking at in my hands was an impossibility - a defiance of the natural laws of the universe. If I re-attached the camera and jerked and pulled on the strap/camera I couldn't replicate that even if I gave it my damnedest.

I was pissed that my strap decided to disconnect from my camera WHILE IN MY HANDS (casual sight-seeing, NOTE: no force applied at all). I was pissed that I could have so easily let go of my 5D3+85L on the ground because of this BS. I was also pissed that there was a new chunk of black finish gouged off of my camera with signs of copper discoloration matching that of the RS-4. The camera is not even a week old and it already has a gouge on the front/bottom on thanks to my new enemy, Blackrapid.

I invite anyone to explain the seemingly supernatural phenomenon which occurred to me that day on the docks. I don't believe in ghosts or UFOs, but what I did witness was completely impossible meaning there's a part of this mystery I'm not putting my eye on.

Also note: this exact incident has happened to me once before while taking photos at of an engagement shoot.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 15, 2012 08:05 |  #9

I apologize for not being the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm not sure I understand what you are saying happened, though I have no doubt it happened.

Are you saying the ring that screws into the camera was still screwed in and despite the gate lock on the carabiner being tight, it somehow slipped out of the carabiner?

Obviously, however it happened it sucks. I had a Cotton Carrier fail on me and my camera dropped to the ground, thankfully while I was hiking and landed on a bed of leaves with no damage whatsoever.

First, call or write BR customer service. I have no doubt they will replace it, should you choose to trust their products any longer.

Even if you don't want it, get it and then sell the new one.

Bottom line is that thankfully you were holding your camera and it didn't fall.

I once dropped my then brand new 1DsMKIII (yeah, 8 thousand dollars worth of camera), when I let it go thinking the neck strap was around my neck. It landed on concrete. It only cost $600 to repair though.

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 15, 2012 09:27 |  #10

MDJAK wrote in post #14861077 (external link)
Are you saying the ring that screws into the camera was still screwed in and despite the gate lock on the carabiner being tight, it somehow slipped out of the carabiner?

Precisely. The gate lock on the carabiner was still fastened TIGHTLY.

And yes. The other component (the fastener) that screwed into the camera's tripod socket was still tightly secured into the bottom of the camera.

The two components were miraculously apart. As I said, almost magically. I could not reproduce this result even if I tried to. Especially given the fact that I was casually walking the shopping strip for all of 20 or 30 minutes when I came to the docks and coincidentally glanced at the miracle in my hand. I ALMOST dropped it to the ground. I have a little voice that usually goes off in my head that sounds kind of like, "Don't trust the security of your strap - check before letting go". Especially since this has happened before.

<bitter sarcasm>Maybe my RS-4 came into contact with a small pocket of dark matter from space which disrupted the structural matter of the caribener, allowing it to seperate from its usual safe connection.</bitter sarcasm>

Seconds after it happened I felt a little dizzy because what I saw was a violation of physics and of course my perception of reality. I quickly asked my wife to verify the strength in the safety gate's tightness. I may as well have super glued that safety gate the day I brought it home because I have no doubt it would have not made a difference.

I do recall a time the safety gate coming lose was the reason for my camera accidentally coming apart from the strap. It was visibly obvious the looseness was the reason for that near accident. Not at all the case this time.

I remember a time I was a Canada's Wonderland Theme Park having taken a few pictures of the kids on the horse carousal. We were in line to buy some snacks - I was holding my strapped camera (5D2+70-200) and for some reason I had the lens held in my left hand and the camera in my right hand. Without much of a budge, I look down and the lens is in my left hand completely un-attached from the camera. I suppose I hadn't locked the lens in place. Could have easily done what is normal and sling the camera to my side while the lens would have kept going right down the pavement.

Moments that make your heart skip a beat.

I've been too lucky and had too many close calls. 10 years in photography and still no bad endings. Just the feeling that somebody or something is looking out for me. ;)

I can't imagine the feelings of having dropped that new 1DSiii. You must have felt sick very quickly. That's just plain horrific. It's a good thing that money can patch up wounds.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 15, 2012 09:37 |  #11

There is only two possibilities as I see it.

1. The gate lock was loose and rubbing it caused It to relock somehow..

2. You been nipping' a bit too much at the bottle. AGAIN. ;) :lol:

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 15, 2012 10:12 |  #12

MDJAK wrote in post #14861429 (external link)
There is only two possibilities as I see it.

1. The gate lock was loose and rubbing it caused It to relock somehow..

2. You been nipping' a bit too much at the bottle. AGAIN. ;) :lol:

Bahahaha. Yeah, I'll take number 1. That's some logic I can latch on to. Otherwise number two looks like a tempting option if any supernatural play was indeed involved.

Emailing the company right now.

Also, I'm recalling a trick that I used to apply after incident #1. I took two twist-ties and connected the carabiner+fastener as an extra layer of protection. If I do continue to use this product, I will have to get back in the habit of doing this. Again. ;)

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2012 10:47 |  #13

Pearlallica wrote in post #14861573 (external link)
Bahahaha. Yeah, I'll take number 1. That's some logic I can latch on to. Otherwise number two looks like a tempting option if any supernatural play was indeed involved.

Emailing the company right now.

Also, I'm recalling a trick that I used to apply after incident #1. I took two twist-ties and connected the carabiner+fastener as an extra layer of protection. If I do continue to use this product, I will have to get back in the habit of doing this. Again. ;)

Get a zip tie for it. You'll have to cut it apart to get it off.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 15, 2012 19:31 |  #14

luciddreamer wrote in post #14861682 (external link)
Get a zip tie for it. You'll have to cut it apart to get it off.

Or use the zip tie and push/slide it up against the safety screw after you locked it, so it would have pressure or some sort of friction preventing it from sliding down, im only picturing this so not sure if it would work/help...

But i have never had a problem like that with my RS-4, half the time i dont even screw it tight to lock it.. @Pearlallica

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

sponsored links

3,770 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm so happy right now. Just have to tell you guys.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.