Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 04 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 08:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rylin: 2-3yrs

e1rlindsay
347 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 08, 2012 13:53 |  #16

how do you take a color sample and apply it in a layer? I'm attempting to copy this technique and have followed the youtube video...now i'm wondering how to recolor it?

~Emily

sponsored links
RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 08, 2012 13:56 |  #17

very cute little girl ... I like the last one of the set the best. Great job - she's A W E S O M E !!!

Gear List

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 08, 2012 15:21 |  #18

e1rlindsay wrote in post #14687980 (external link)
how do you take a color sample and apply it in a layer? I'm attempting to copy this technique and have followed the youtube video...now i'm wondering how to recolor it?

First get a new layer.
Then, get your eye dropper tool. Click a section of the photo you want to use for its color. Click the paint bucket tool.
Then click the photo. It will fill with the color you've selected.
Then on the layer palette, select screen as the layer mode.
Then adjust opacity to your liking.

;)

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

85mmLover
103 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 10, 2012 00:20 as a reply to  @ post 14681827 |  #19

Wow, she's such a beautiful girl! This picture is absolutely amazing...everything about it is right on. I love the sharpness, color, everything. This is the exact look I hope to achieve in the future. Did you do anything different besides fixing the basics in ACR and sharpening the the hair/face in PS?

IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-wqXL9fK/0/XL/IMG7986-XL.jpg
[/QUOTE]

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 10, 2012 07:42 as a reply to  @ 85mmLover's post |  #20

Thanks! This one was pretty close SOOC... and you are pretty close.

I did my usual sharpening, eye brightening and skin tone adjustments with a curves layer. Then I used a color balance layer to add some blues to the shadows and adjust the colors to what looked good to me. Then I burned the background slightly to bring Ry out a little.

Here is a comparison of OOC and finished.

SOOC:

IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-K8Qmprs/0/XL/7986-original-XL.jpg
Edited:
IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-wqXL9fK/0/XL/IMG7986-XL.jpg

Hope you can see the difference. I usually keep a subtle editing style.

e1rlindsay
347 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 10, 2012 12:19 |  #21

how do you burn the background?

~Emily

85mmLover
103 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 10, 2012 23:53 |  #22

PeyDay17 wrote in post #14695908 (external link)
Thanks! This one was pretty close SOOC... and you are pretty close.

I did my usual sharpening, eye brightening and skin tone adjustments with a curves layer. Then I used a color balance layer to add some blues to the shadows and adjust the colors to what looked good to me. Then I burned the background slightly to bring Ry out a little.

Hope you can see the difference. I usually keep a subtle editing style.

The difference between the two pics is very obvious even though you didnt do much in PP. That's what makes you such an amazing photographer...you know exactly what to do and you do it beautifully. I know your "usual sharpening" includes sharpening the face, hair, brighten eyes, teeth but looking at the edited version, it looks like Ry's whole body is sharpened. Was this done w/ the sharpening tool in PS. When I use this tool for some reason, it looks very harsh and not soft like this at all. I loved how you burned the background because to me, it really separates the OOC pic and edited pic. Going to youtube that right now. =)

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 16, 2012 20:34 as a reply to  @ 85mmLover's post |  #23

Thanks 85! I use a high pass layer as a mask to "paint in" the areas I want sharpened. Then I can adjust the opacity of the layer to get it juuuuust right. I have an action I created called "spot sharpening".

I took these tonight after dinner. The restaurant we frequently visit has a bunch of waitresses that fell in love with Ry. We have been going since before she was born. Every time we pay at the register Ry gets a sucker. We stopped at the park after dinner while she was still working on her snack.

IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-xdbrdtG/0/XL/IMG8442-XL.jpg
IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-gHgvchb/0/XL/IMG8446-XL.jpg

felt_tip_felon
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2010
9,042 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 18, 2012 05:48 as a reply to  @ PeyDay17's post |  #24

Great work sir, congrats on an amazing 365 project & I look forward to seeing this one unfold!

you're an inspiration to photographing parents everywhere & I hope I can do similar justice to our new little man :)

500px (external link) Flickr (external link) twitter (external link) Gear list
1DX, 100D, G1X & G10
Join the SE POTN thread here!
"bitten by the deadly photography bug" (external link)

85mmLover
103 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 19, 2012 00:47 |  #25

Love the pictures! I really like soft look in the first one and the slight color tint in the second.

mom2AnH
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 04, 2012 18:54 |  #26

Hey - we need our Rylin fix!!! COME BACK RYAN!!! :)

Seriously - I hope you all are doing well..... and that Miss Rylin is taking it easy on you two! Terrible Twos? Or is it the terrific twos?! :)

Have a good weekend

Jenn
C&C always appreciated
Canon Rebel XS w/ 18-55mm IS, 75-300mm, and the nifty-fifty

vinhtran
192 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 19:10 |  #27

beautiful kid you got, i love your work

5D3 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L II

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 14, 2012 21:41 as a reply to  @ vinhtran's post |  #28

Thanks everyone! I've picked up my camera probably a total of 3 times since Rylin's birthday... Ive been really busy with work and getting the Aivan Lane's bedroom done its been hard to be creative. Here are a few shots Ive got when I did shoot. The bottom shot is from our walk tonight. It is probably one of my favorites.

IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-PbzZNX6/0/XL/IMG8517-XL.jpg
IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-NR4nzXx/0/XL/IMG8504-XL.jpg
IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-BNqv3fz/0/XL/IMG8595-XL.jpg

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2012 11:39 as a reply to  @ PeyDay17's post |  #29

IMAGE: http://rbfoto.smugmug.com/Other/Rylin-2-3-years-old/i-55mTzNt/0/XL/IMG8563-XL.jpg

rh18
180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 15, 2012 12:39 |  #30

PeyDay17 wrote in post #14859772 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Great pics, as usual! The post processing on this one really caught my eye, do you mind sharing what you did to it?

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rylin: 2-3yrs
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.