Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

dolica CF tripod @ costco

i-G12
Wat?
2,118 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 02, 2012 17:33 |  #151

Geckotek wrote in post #14806006 (external link)
Unlike you tall monstrosities!!

Yeah, I laughed. :mrgreen:

sponsored links
nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 02, 2012 21:04 as a reply to  @ post 14806025 |  #152

Mine arrived today and in a way I was prepared to be a little underwhelmed, but it really does look like a nice tripod for the $$ and exceeded my expectations. The ball head seems just fine for my use since I don't have any huge glass and the case is nice enough. Since the ball head isn't going anywhere for now, I snugged up the set screws with the supplied hex key.

Have an old Bogen (Manfrotto) 3221 (predecessor to the 055) which sees little field use for obvious reasons. Also have an even older aluminum, "lightweight" Gitzo but the relative lightweight and compactness of the Dolica will probably make it the go-to tripod for most of my needs.

Probably wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't have a "credit" from Costco, but now no regrets getting this one at all.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,259 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 02, 2012 22:46 as a reply to  @ post 13813172 |  #153

Is that a Arca Swis Compatible quick release, it looks like it might be...

BTW: great photo review...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 02, 2012 23:23 |  #154

RPCrowe wrote in post #14807437 (external link)
Is that a Arca Swis Compatible quick release, it looks like it might be...

Unfortunately, although it looks similar reports say no.

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,958 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 03, 2012 07:36 |  #155

T2i4me wrote in post #14805859 (external link)
That would be a great test.

Didn't have time to test the tripod last night. Forgot that I had to do a company photo shoot yesterday after work, between the shoot and processing the shots taken is was 11:00 PM before I was done. Will test the tripod today and post results this evening.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 03, 2012 13:24 |  #156

Calicajun wrote in post #14808624 (external link)
Didn't have time to test the tripod last night. Forgot that I had to do a company photo shoot yesterday after work, between the shoot and processing the shots taken is was 11:00 PM before I was done. Will test the tripod today and post results this evening.

No worries I ordered one anyway since Costco will allow returns if not satisfied I figure it's a no risk situatin. At $79 and free shipping I doubt I will return it.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,958 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2012 07:51 |  #157

T2i4me wrote in post #14810016 (external link)
No worries I ordered one anyway since Costco will allow returns if not satisfied I figure it's a no risk situatin. At $79 and free shipping I doubt I will return it.

Good to hear, as I didn't get to testing the tripod again last night. Did a company photo shoot Thursday and yesterday was asked if the pictures could be done by today. Sure no problem, photo shoot pictures of 300 people downloaded to the computer, process RAW files, process Jpeg files and transfer to DVD and bring to work Saturday, sure won't take anytime at all. Okay, my little rant is done, I feel better now.:lol:

Suggestions welcome.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,537 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 11:13 as a reply to  @ Calicajun's post |  #158

Got mine the other day. Costco just stuck a shipping label on the tripod box and sent it. It came well squashed, but otherwise ok. The pan pivot screw on the head was tightened so much that when I untightened it, it unscrewed the knob from the threads instead of backing the threads out of the hole. I had planned on swapping the head for my Manfrotto ballhead anyway, so no big deal.

With the Manfrotto head attached, it still fits in the bag and the height when fully extended brings my gripped 7D viewfinder to eye level. I'm 6'3", so that's pretty good. The legs are stable enough, but with the center column fully extended, the camera can wobble a bit. Again, not a big deal as I'll be right there to steady it. But this setup won't work at all in any sort of wind unless the center column is lowered.

Still, the trade-off in portability between the Dolica and my Manfrotto 055 is worth the few minor nitpicks. We're going to the UK in September and this tripod will see a lot more use than my 055 would have. The weight of it slung over my shoulder is almost unnoticeable and the short case is a lot less conspicuous.

Mark J.
Gear

TLN
284 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 04, 2012 11:20 |  #159

Hmm... that tripod looks nice.
If there's any reason to choose aluminum manfrottos over this? $100-$150 priced.
I use aluminum tripod from benro and looking forward to get this, and swap heads, then sell the weakest )

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,537 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 04, 2012 12:02 as a reply to  @ TLN's post |  #160

For most uses where I don't have to carry the tripod around on my back, the Manfrotto is far better. It sets up much faster and is way more solid feeling when fully extended. But it is quite long even collapsed and it's not something you want to carry very far when you're also carrying your camera gear.

Mark J.
Gear

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 09, 2012 11:00 |  #161

I received the Dolica yesterday, very fast shipping from Costco. The packaging was great as they put the tripod box in a much larger box filled with air pillows.

Initial impression, very nice carry bag, compact and light unit. Upon first inspection the knob that tightens the ball haed was so tight I almost could not break it free. But once I did it seems to work just fine, it's a tad on the small side for gripping though. The leg twist locks are not the 1/4 turn style like on more expensive tripods but more like 3/4 turn. They are easy to unlock and lock and although you can feel they are fairly light duty and feel like plastic, they seem to work ok. Adjustments however are not that easy as some leg sections are kind of sticky when trying to adjust the leg in small incriments in and out. I might try a dry lube on the leg sections to see if it smooths up.

The ball head is actully not too bad, it's smooth, has proper resistance and locks tightly. The only gripe is the QR plate, although it locks tight to the ball head I can't seem to get the slight play out of it when attached to the camera. This allows the camera to sag on the plate.

In comparison to my Manfrotto 055XPROB, the leg height is identical but the biggest difference is the width of the stance. The Manfrotto is 5" wider where it touches the ground making it much more stable. However any stability issues on the Dolica are quickly resolved by hanging my backpack from the center hook.

I put my 100-400 on and zoomed it to 400mm, this challenged the QR plate and the droop was fairly significant. The legs had no issue with the weight however. So if using bigger heavy zooms you need to frame the subject quite a bit higher then let it sag down which takes several tries to get it right.

So it's nowhere near the quality of the Manfrotto, but I did not expect it to be. However it's very lightweight, has some nice features, and the carry bag is top notch. I basically got it for my kids to use, and for when I travel and don't want to haul around the 055. Also I put my Manfrotto 488RC2 head on it and it fit perfectly and still fit in the carry bag. This will likely be the way I set it up when I travel.

Will it last forever, probably not, is it a good choice for heavy use, probably not. Is it good for travel and general use, yes. Is it light and easy to carry, yes. I'm pretty picky and this passed my expectations. For $79 I think it's a great bargain.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

JoelO
24 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 15, 2012 23:31 |  #162

Just got mine too.. the issue that I'm having is 2 of the leg doesn't pull out smoothly. Do you guys notice the same issue or I'm just getting a lemon? Is it possible to make smooth myself w/o getting another one? I'm not sure if I can lubricate more w/ WD40 or something.

Canon XTi ~~ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.3 ~ EF 70-200mm f/4 IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ EX580II

nasua
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 16, 2012 22:12 |  #163

JoelO wrote in post #14864456 (external link)
Just got mine too.. the issue that I'm having is 2 of the leg doesn't pull out smoothly. Do you guys notice the same issue or I'm just getting a lemon? Is it possible to make smooth myself w/o getting another one? I'm not sure if I can lubricate more w/ WD40 or something.

All three legs on mine deploy smoothly but one of the lower leg sections was a little sticky when it arrived due to a gummy deposit which was easily cleaned with a cloth and some alcohol. Don't know if I would use WD-40 or any lubricant on the legs as it may cause grit to collect and jam up the locking collar or possibly reduce the friction needed to lock the leg into position.

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 17, 2012 10:50 |  #164

JoelO wrote in post #14864456 (external link)

Don't use any lube it will attract dirt and grit. My legs were sticky at first but after moving them in and out many times they freed up and are much smoother. If they don't work better then I would try a good surface cleaning of each leg section and the inside of the locking mechanism. If that does not work the next idea would be to use some furniture spray cleaner wax like Pledge, if that does not do the trick then return it.

Like I mentioned in my review the leg locks are by no means of high quality, but mine do work they are just not solid feeling and take more than a 1/4 turn to loosen and lock.

-- Eric --

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,958 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2012 11:42 as a reply to  @ T2i4me's post |  #165

Just use my tripod with a 7D and 70-200 f2.8 lens attached outdoors in a bit of a wind. It did very well, held everything in place and with the camera bag hook to the center pole there was no movement that I could tell. I'm still getting use to using a ball head, I'm old school and like my tripod heads with the two handles but I'm sure I'll catch up to the modern age soon.

Suggestions welcome.

sponsored links

71,122 views & 0 likes for this thread
dolica CF tripod @ costco
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.