Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 06:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Darktable 1.0

j-g
30 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2012 06:04 |  #1

I know that there aren't to many darktable users here but I just wanted to start a thread to exchange the experiences with the new version. And I guess since many people probably get their darktable version from the ubuntu sources there might be quite a few out there who don't even know about the new version.

Link to the announcement with new feature list and download links (external link)

I was quite positively surprised by the new version. I got the impression, that the overall performance as well as the stability have been strongly improved. And it's really nice to finally have a shadow & highlights tool as well as the enhanced tone curves.

At the end of the announcement they are teasing about some of the new features for the next version.
What features do you miss in darktable? What is your impression of the new version?

Canon EOS 600D | Canon EF 18-55mm | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk II | Canon EF 55-250mm | Samyang 35mm f/1.4

sponsored links
j-g
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 22, 2012 16:42 |  #2

Really? There isn't a single darktable user on here?

Canon EOS 600D | Canon EF 18-55mm | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk II | Canon EF 55-250mm | Samyang 35mm f/1.4

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,563 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 22, 2012 16:52 |  #3

I've never even heard of it before....I'm sure there must be others around using it.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 22, 2012 19:16 |  #4

I also plead ignorance -- is this a standalone Linux app?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

j-g
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 23, 2012 01:59 |  #5

As far as I know it is like this.
The short answer is; yes it is mostly a linux app.
The longer answer is:
They do provide an experimental Mac release which most of the time isn't quite up to date, but I'm pretty sure if you wanted to you could compile the newest version yourself.
Concerning Windows the case is a bit different. They did try to compile a windows version last summer and had to tweak the code a bit to get it running but it proofed to be possible and I think they kept the tweaked code. So if you wanted to you might very well be able to compile a windows version yourself and the developers did say they would support anyone who wants to.

They did however decide against providing windows binaries themselves. Apparently mostly because they were afraid it might cause a chaos comparable to the one that unfolded when gimp added windows support.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2012 02:14 |  #6

OK, so the substantial majority of people here are Windows users who aren't interested in monkeying around. Then there are Mac user who prefer the "no muss no full" interface. Then, there are some "geeks" running around somewhere:)! And, there are in fact some Lynix users, but I'm not sure how much they hang around, since we don't often go to that "stuff":)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 23, 2012 03:04 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I don't mind mucking around if I had the time, by the looks of it, it is Linux's version of Lightroom albeit, very light on features

j-g
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 23, 2012 03:36 |  #8

@tonylong: I was always stunned by the small overlap of Linux users and photographers. It seems to me that the mentalities would match up nicely. But I guess the whole Linux users and photography thing is a vicious cycle. All the mayor PP-software doesn't run on Linux so if you are a Linux user and interested in photography you are pretty much forced to run Windows or OS X besides Linux. If you are however a windows user who wants to switch to Linux and are serious about photography, you can't because lightroom won't work.
And because there are so few Linux users Adobe has decided not to invest anything to get it's products running on Linux -.-

@400dabuser: I think that's a pretty good summary. But I have gotten the impression, that darktable is the fastest developing open source PP software, so I'm hopeful, that we might get more features soon.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2012 04:04 |  #9

j-g wrote in post #14311812 (external link)
@tonylong: I was always stunned by the small overlap of Linux users and photographers. It seems to me that the mentalities would match up nicely. But I guess the whole Linux users and photography thing is a vicious cycle. All the mayor PP-software doesn't run on Linux so if you are a Linux user and interested in photography you are pretty much forced to run Windows or OS X besides Linux. If you are however a windows user who wants to switch to Linux and are serious about photography, you can't because lightroom won't work.
And because there are so few Linux users Adobe has decided not to invest anything to get it's products running on Linux -.-

@400dabuser: I think that's a pretty good summary. But I have gotten the impression, that darktable is the fastest developing open source PP software, so I'm hopeful, that we might get more features soon.

Well, I believe most Linux users here use the Gimp and then a plug-in for Raw processing.

And then for people who prefer a product like Photoshop and/or Lightroom, a Mac or Windows "simulator"/emulator.

But not so many die-hard geeks!

Tony

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 23, 2012 05:08 |  #10

j-g wrote in post #14311812 (external link)
And because there are so few Linux users Adobe has decided not to invest anything to get it's products running on Linux

Totally not true there is two simple choices virtualization and dual boot so you can have the best of both worlds. And there is Parallels for Mac that lets them have both with the least effort.

Whats the difference if you edit in your native OS or boot into an alternative during that time?

Until an alternative OS has full time development teams to crank out drivers (like Android) and libs no one in the commercial world will take Linux serious. It has nothing to do with how many people use it but more with having to squash bugs and build their own libs if project owners quit updating or abandon projects which many do. And if a dev thinks Adobe will do the work they are more likely to abandon the project and Adobe is then left spending money to maintain something they never wanted a part of to begin with.

photogs_spouse
75 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 23, 2012 22:30 as a reply to  @ j-g's post |  #11

I am a linux user who uses a prior version of Darktable. Knew about new release already.
Waiting to upgrade it with new linux distro release.

j-g: I suspect from the numerous libraries and apps for photography available, that many linux users first must "trip over" the programs in magazines, and online or in package managers. "camera" "photo" and "image", "exif" and so on are good starting points.
Gimp and Digikam seem the most well known, but rawtherapee is also common.
A recent Linux conference had a packed room of widely-spread experience levels viewing standalone and plugin photography apps in Linux. You could see the "lightbulbs" snapping on in there. Linux gurus and newbies and Linux curious too. ;) Some pretty impressive camera equipment, too.

linux threads on the forum:
RAW files in Ubuntu Linux
Digital Photography with Linux: Reference Guide
Linux-Any linux users?

isoMorphic:
I use virtualization for the 2-3 windows only programs I still use monthly.One happens to be the camera software.

Plenty of corporations take Linux quite seriously for "always up systems" and those who can't be rebooted for every patch to os or application. Look to manufacturing, among others. If downtime costs lives or money.....
Look to Red Hat for a serious company. Look to governments and scientists for serious users. College students are introduced to Linux instead of Mac or Windows, now. Companies are seeking Linux users now for employees.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 24, 2012 05:43 |  #12

I used FreeBSD on my servers for 6 years and still do because it's the most secure.

But anyone who has used Linux for years knows full well there are advantages and disadvantages for every OS. It's a totally different landscape which is why most people chose windows and Mac for the greater simplicity. Consider that if i took my Linux machine to Best Buy or some other PC repair with minimum wage workers they would probably have to send it out or refuse to work on it.

j-g
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 24, 2012 09:10 |  #13

@isomorphic: Concerning drivers... I don't feel quite qualified to argue with you on that point. But having said that I have to say, that considering.that pretty much every piece of technology these days is linux based (servers, supercomputers, TVs, routers,tablets, cellphones, printers, etc.) it feels quite odd that the desktop software market is the only area where companies have such problems. But if they exist the convergence of mobile computing and desktop computing should solve these problems right?

The point about getting local help is obviously right.I have to say though, that i know few people, who have a linux system and don't play around with it, but just use it, who are still in need of such help. And those who do play around with their system usually are the ones who solve any arising problems themselves anyway. Still a valid point though.

@photogs_spouse: Yeah you are definitely right about having to stumble across the software, most stuff isn't widely known. I more or less recently just found out, that there are a few commercial products too like Pixel (apparently soon to be revived), Lightzone (dead now, the guy was apparently hired by apple) or Aftershot Pro.
Interestingly in panorama editing open source software seems to do much better (hugin, panorama tools, ...)

fenderstrat1963
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 24, 2012 13:28 |  #14

I use Linux (Slackware), but I prefer rawtherapee / gimp as my tools. I've got nothing against darktable I just haven't done anything except tinker with it. And because I'd already found and liked rawtherapee, I haven't made time to go back and look at darktable again

obkcaptain
159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 16, 2012 04:03 |  #15

Evil Darkatble....
I've been using Lightroom (3.3) and I tried to use Darktable....
In this point began my nightmare.
First of all. I'm running an iMac computer with OS Lion
The last version (image from the website) doesn't work. After two "jumps"....dissapear.
And Trying to compile ..... Oh my God!...If you try this, you should be computer's engineer to do it.
Several files, a lot of instructions and......doesn't have a "charity soul" who put a simple "dmg" for Mac users?
That would be a huge help for the people as me....(dumb, old and stubborn)
Sorry, the english isn't my mother tonge.

A Canon gear, some lenses, mono(tri)pod, flash and need to learn...

sponsored links

5,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
Darktable 1.0
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.