Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 28 Jan 2012 (Saturday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next

Asked to do a photoshoot with a female for the first time

dannequin
261 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 28, 2012 09:16 |  #1

I've been shooting at a night club for the past few months, and have built a friendship with the women that work there, and while I've never technically said what I shoot to them (other than photo booths, crowd shots) -- I've been asked by one female whom I've recently come into contact with to do a shoot.

Now this is going to be something that I've never ventured into -- yet it's basic portraiture... I'm a mix of anxious, nervous and excited, however -- I plan on making her look classy, not trashy. I've got a decent setup as of now yet I lack the studio space (or personal space, being my own) -- so there's a good chance of using her place as a setting (change of linens, etc)

However my question is, what are some tips to make this go smoothly? I'm going to feel a bit intimidated by her (looks wise, amazing body) -- yet really nice personality, so I assume her willing to work with me already will make things easy. One of the photos I proposed to her is a little on the risque side -- yet concealed, what are some things to say to encourage her to be comfortable and trust me?

5D Mark 3 | 5D Mark 2
24-70 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 F2.8 IS
http:/www.facebook.com​/dtfoto

hard12find
597 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 28, 2012 09:40 |  #2

Just remember it is about the art......you should be so focused on the technical challenges, that you barely know there is a nude or semi nude person in the room with you. I know it sounds crazy but I have had very attractive nude women looking over my shoulder at the laptop, and it is just business as usual.
Obviously start with some non risqué photos, because everyone is nervous in the beginning, as she relaxes just say things like, show me some cleavage, always praise the, with terms like "that's good, that's right, sexy, very sexy" but also control the details... Move your hand here, look more to the camera etc. Good luck and have fun, but keep it professional.
Jim

20D, 10D, Fuji S-20, Mamiya C220 medium format, Sekonic L-508 meter, 2 alien bee 800's, AB remotes, Sigma 500 HS flash, 70-200 F2.8 L, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG, lots of glass, lots of stuff,8-)

dannequin
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 28, 2012 11:17 |  #3

hard12find wrote in post #13783026 (external link)
Just remember it is about the art......you should be so focused on the technical challenges, that you barely know there is a nude or semi nude person in the room with you. I know it sounds crazy but I have had very attractive nude women looking over my shoulder at the laptop, and it is just business as usual.
Obviously start with some non risqué photos, because everyone is nervous in the beginning, as she relaxes just say things like, show me some cleavage, always praise the, with terms like "that's good, that's right, sexy, very sexy" but also control the details... Move your hand here, look more to the camera etc. Good luck and have fun, but keep it professional.
Jim

Good tips, I'm still trying to find my own sense of directing someone to pose a certain way, while I shoot a lot of bands and they naturally form or tell me how they want to be shot, a female needs instructions. Sure it's intimidating, but I'm sure it's easy enough to do -- both I'm also sure for the both of us it's nerve wracking just as much.

5D Mark 3 | 5D Mark 2
24-70 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 F2.8 IS
http:/www.facebook.com​/dtfoto

hard12find
597 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 28, 2012 11:34 |  #4

Some are easier than others, I tend to shoot a lot of asian females, and modeling just seems to be in their genes, and they look good no matter what they try. It is really hard for an inexperienced photographer to shoot an inexperienced model but it seems to be the way it shakes out. Read up on the tips sticky here in the glamour forum, and be mindful of little details like where the camera crops certain body parts, have them play with their hair, always a good shot, don't try to go too crazy on exotic poses, there will be time for that. Most importantly have fun, this will be a learning experience for sure.
Jim

20D, 10D, Fuji S-20, Mamiya C220 medium format, Sekonic L-508 meter, 2 alien bee 800's, AB remotes, Sigma 500 HS flash, 70-200 F2.8 L, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG, lots of glass, lots of stuff,8-)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 01, 2012 14:52 |  #5

Basic strategy

1) Collect sample photos in the styles you want to agree and prepare clothing, location, lighting
2) Practice your lighting techniques with a friend before a model shoot
3) Give clear, supportive, and gentle posing direction to help the model know when she looks best.
4) Work calmly, respectfully, and positively with all women in risque shoots. Agree that you will pick the best together and there are no risks with bad photos.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Bleemo
26 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 22, 2012 23:12 |  #6

i know how you feel man..
doing my first shoot with a female model and i'm kinda freaking out because i know her and work with her but it is also semi-risque
got images of looks and techniques.. even sketching my ideas and sending her pics so she knows what i'm looking for.. even made sure her boyfriend was ok with it so there were no lines crossed.
She's done it a fair bit so i'm lucky in that regard but even just discussing it with her i found just talking to her like a friend and just being upfront has worked for me so far during the lead up.. told her that i'd like her to show a bit of skin but no "rude parts" and told her if shes uncomfortable with anything to just let me know.
so far all good.. she and i have been shooting ideas across at each other but we'll see how the actual shoot goes in a week so if you are yet to do yours i'll post how mine goes if you like..
just seems like we are in similar situations is all.. even if i am more of a newbie..

NeverFollow
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2005

May 22, 2012 23:16 |  #7

The number one rule that I have learned is takes lots of photos at different angles. Its really easy to get stuck and stay in the same spot. Also keep the mood light, if you can be funny about things the shoots go alot smoother.

http://500px.com/chris​kennedydotphoto (external link)[/B]
http://ckphoto.online/ (external link)

charlesu
Goldmember
4,316 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 26, 2012 11:02 |  #8

Just be matter of fact. This is a photoshoot. Nothing less. And NOTHING more. Talk with her just like you do at work because.....this is work.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

May 28, 2012 12:19 |  #9

Being that this was posted 4 months ago, the shoot is past tense.

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 06, 2012 14:32 |  #10

dannequin wrote in post #13782932 (external link)
I've been shooting at a night club for the past few months, and have built a friendship with the women that work there, and while I've never technically said what I shoot to them (other than photo booths, crowd shots) -- I've been asked by one female whom I've recently come into contact with to do a shoot.

Now this is going to be something that I've never ventured into -- yet it's basic portraiture... I'm a mix of anxious, nervous and excited, however -- I plan on making her look classy, not trashy. I've got a decent setup as of now yet I lack the studio space (or personal space, being my own) -- so there's a good chance of using her place as a setting (change of linens, etc)

However my question is, what are some tips to make this go smoothly? I'm going to feel a bit intimidated by her (looks wise, amazing body) -- yet really nice personality, so I assume her willing to work with me already will make things easy. One of the photos I proposed to her is a little on the risque side -- yet concealed, what are some things to say to encourage her to be comfortable and trust me?

Dis you do tye shoot?
Posted any pics?

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 16, 2012 20:27 |  #11

OP, hope the shoot worked out well for you. Hope you were yourself as she knows you from the club.
She trusted you as well as you trusting her...

How did the shoot go.? If you are getting to shoot more G&N with her then I thinking all went well.

Keep shooting,
Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

6,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
Asked to do a photoshoot with a female for the first time
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.