Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have SX260, considering S100

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 16, 2012 16:45 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I have the SX260 and am mostly happy with it, for what it is. IQ is my biggest problem. I am considering adding the S100 to my lineup. Is there enough difference to warrant spending the money? I just can't see it on sites like CameraLabs and DPReview. I use the 60D and have a T1i that gets little use. I could just keep the T1i in the car all the time. What would you do? Opinions, please.

Gear List

sponsored links
imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 16, 2012 16:51 |  #2

the major advantages of the S100:
-RAW
-f2 aperture wide open
-bigger sensor

is it worth it to upgrade? you have to decide that for yourself. if all you care about is IQ, then S100 has the best IQ for a Canon compact point and shoot. of course you give up the long zoom of the sx260hs. S100 should be discounting soon if it hasnt already where you live. replacement for S100 should be coming out in a month or two. So if youre interested in the S100, watch for those sales.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 16, 2012 17:21 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

imjason wrote in post #14867621 (external link)
the major advantages of the S100:
-RAW
-f2 aperture wide open
-bigger sensor

is it worth it to upgrade? you have to decide that for yourself. if all you care about is IQ, then S100 has the best IQ for a Canon compact point and shoot. of course you give up the long zoom of the sx260hs. S100 should be discounting soon if it hasnt already where you live. replacement for S100 should be coming out in a month or two. So if youre interested in the S100, watch for those sales.

Thanks. I thought about raw. I think if I knew I were getting into a situation where raw mattered, I'd shoot the 60D. The f/2 lens is a valid point. The 260 is f/3.5 at the wide-end. I thought the bigger sensor would make more of a difference than what is apparent on the review sites. By chance, does anyone have real-world comparison shots?

Gear List

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 16, 2012 21:26 |  #4

Funny, I bought the SX260 recently as a supplement to my S95. I carry them both on bike rides and like each for different reasons. The range on the SX260 is great and I've gotten some decent photos out of it. The S95 (or the S100 you're looking at) is definitely my favorite to use, though, for both IQ and creative control.

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 16, 2012 21:46 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

padmasana wrote in post #14868573 (external link)
Funny, I bought the SX260 recently as a supplement to my S95. I carry them both on bike rides and like each for different reasons. The range on the SX260 is great and I've gotten some decent photos out of it. The S95 (or the S100 you're looking at) is definitely my favorite to use, though, for both IQ and creative control.

Thanks. I do plan on keeping the SX260. Do you see enough difference in the IQ of the s95/sx260 to warrant buying the s100? I am assuming you bought the sx260 for the telephoto capabilities, correct?

I was thinking that the f/2 lens would all me to keep lower ISO. Coupled with the 45% larger sensor adding maybe another stop, I could get much better shots in the ISO 400-1600 range. Do you find this to be a fair assessment? I am fairly sure that ISO 200 and below is clean on both of them, just as 3200 is a step too far on each.

Gear List

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 16, 2012 23:01 |  #6

I've used the SX260 at an outdoor Shakespeare play and it's been acceptable. From what I recall, it was decent even around ISO 1600.
The S95/S100 would win for the brighter lens and larger sensor, but I don't recall it being a truly dramatic difference in the situations I've encountered.
I'd definitely like my odds better shooting low light with the S95, though.
It's no 5D III, but it's fine for being so compact.

Here's an ISO 2000 shot from a Gov't Mule concert.
http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157630071396581/ (external link)

I'm at work right now, so sorry for not linking with any more examples.

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 17, 2012 00:13 as a reply to  @ padmasana's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Just to be sure, that Gov't. Mule shot is from the s95?

Gear List

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 17, 2012 00:38 |  #8

Yes, it's the S95. :)

NoZoomNoFun:)
61 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 27, 2012 16:21 |  #9

padmasana /tschrif - do you know if s100/110 is better or equal to G12?

sponsored links

3,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have SX260, considering S100
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.