Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 20:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Canon marketing insist on calling T4i entry level?

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 17, 2012 04:59 |  #31

Cadenza wrote in post #14869555 (external link)
Why such surprise about my fondness for the fold and twist screen??? If I want to pick up a bit of video with my stills, I'd much rather have it. Not to mention above crowd, sneaky shots, etc. Plus, it's much lighter to raise above head. As it stands and depending on particulars, T4i can be a more versatile tool than 5D3 on most occasions.

I'm the same. Due to my bad back, the screen is a Godsend. I'm eagerly awaiting the 70D, and want it over a 7D or 7D II...due to that swivel screen!! :)

Kel
Gear

sponsored links
wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 17, 2012 05:05 |  #32

Canons have had the fold and twist screens out for quite some time. I want to say - 1998 or 1999, I bought my first digital camera- a Powershot Pro- and it had such a screen. It had such utility.. Had a couple other digital cameras in between ( P&S ) that had the feature. But alas, so far- the very high end- no such feature. But then and again, a 5D3 setup tends to be much heavier than say a t4i with a kit lens- I probably would not want to hold it above my head for too long.. But, yes, I would love it to have the tilt/swivel screen. But I think Canon is holding that out till - well, they have no other features to introduce- kind of like an ace up their sleeve.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

dzaneh
936 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2012 05:25 |  #33

greenjeans wrote in post #14868423 (external link)
T3(1100D) has video.

the "T3i" has video...the "T3" doesn't...

stuff

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 17, 2012 05:27 |  #34

How can it take so many posts when only one was needed.

"Because it is"

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,265 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 17, 2012 05:58 as a reply to  @ neil_r's post |  #35

Because it can.

Anders

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 17, 2012 06:53 |  #36

neil_r wrote in post #14869633 (external link)
How can it take so many posts when only one was needed.

"Because it is"

I said that in post #2. :D

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2012 08:56 |  #37

Lear jet - entry level; Gulfstream V - mid level; Dreamliner 787 - top of the line. Everyone has to start somewhere. :D

Cadenza wrote in post #14868975 (external link)
I asked because as I read their marketing, I though their marketing team could just as well designed a sales pitch on the T4i by calling it "the next step," "top of the line advanced prosumer," with tag lines like "if you're getting serious about your photos..." etc. and you'd still have a very credible product in the T4i that would fill such a campaign.

This might have scared off people who actually were just buying their first camera and wanted a, shall I say it, entry level model. But I don't think people really care TOO much about the label. Most people probably buy after exhaustive research (if they are on POTN) or because of its features, and not it's name.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 17, 2012 09:30 as a reply to  @ Yno's post |  #38

Why does it matter. Obviously someone's feelings are hurt that the fact they have an entry level camera. The 5DIII is a consumer DSLR just like Canon says it is.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,816 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 17, 2012 09:36 |  #39

Yno wrote in post #14870064 (external link)
Lear jet - entry level; Gulfstream V - mid level; Dreamliner 787 - top of the line. Everyone has to start somewhere. :D

This might have scared off people who actually were just buying their first camera and wanted a, shall I say it, entry level model. But I don't think people really care TOO much about the label. Most people probably buy after exhaustive research (if they are on POTN) or because of its features, and not it's name.

I doubt that even. I think people want a DSLR and lenses, they go to a store, and the store employee sells them a camera. I doubt a majority do any kind of exhaustive research if they are buying a rebel (due again to marketing and what is sold in stores), and I doubt also that a majority ever get out of green box, P, or the canned modes. They would look at price, megapixel count, movie mode or not, and acccessories, and not much more. I have lost track of how many people I have tried to strike up a conversation with over their Rebel or 7D, and they knew nothing about the camera, they were just "sold" it in their words.

I think they really do look for a "Rebel" because that is what is in magazines and television. People on POTN that use rebels are not the norm, nor really representative of the majority that end up buying that line.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,578 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 17, 2012 10:12 |  #40

Cadenza wrote in post #14869555 (external link)
Why such surprise about my fondness for the fold and twist screen??? If I want to pick up a bit of video with my stills, I'd much rather have it. Not to mention above crowd, sneaky shots, etc. Plus, it's much lighter to raise above head. As it stands and depending on particulars, T4i can be a more versatile tool than 5D3 on most occasions.

IMO, the fold out screen is only good with a touch screen AND good autofocus in live view, which I doubt the 5D does. I agree, it can be a versatile tool, but for me, certainly not a deal breaker, or something I would even consider as important.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 17, 2012 12:14 |  #41

dzaneh wrote in post #14869630 (external link)
the "T3i" has video...the "T3" doesn't...

I take video on my T3....quess I better stop

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 17, 2012 12:28 |  #42

MotorPro wrote in post #14870841 (external link)
I take video on my T3....quess I better stop

:lol::lol::lol: YES- STOP RIGHT NOW!

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2012 12:35 |  #43

It seems some people rely on memory or something rather than actually looking things up.

A quick check of dpreview indicates that every EOS DSLR introduced after the 5DII has been video-capable. (Both the 50D and the 1000D were introduced a few months before the 5DII, according to dpreview's camera comparison tables.) This, of course, includes the 1100D (aka Rebel T3).

Tom

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2012 13:39 |  #44

Speaking of dpreview, their categorization of the EOS cameras is:

Entry-level: Rebel T3 (1100D)
Mid-level: Rebel Txi, (xxxD), 60D
Semi-professional: 7D, 5DII & III
Professional: 1D

Rebels before those above, and 50D and earlier in the xxD line apparently pre-date dpreview's current categories, and so aren't listed in those categories.

Tom

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 17, 2012 14:02 |  #45

Perhaps it would help the OP to think of the 4Ti (Rebel line) as "entry-level" in regard only to Canon DSLR's as opposed to "entry-level" to the art of photography itself.

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links

10,709 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Canon marketing insist on calling T4i entry level?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.