Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 15:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's your preferred "grab and go" solution?

stoshdwalshphotography
718 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 16, 2012 15:57 |  #1

So I'm coming to the realization that I want to bring both bodies pretty much every time I go out. I photograph mostly nature and some landscapes, and I find myself wanting a mid/long telephoto (70-200 or 400 f5.6), a 180 macro, and a 17-40 pretty much every time I'm out in the field.

I love my fstop gear (have both guru and loka), and for longer hikes and overnights, they are great, but I'm wondering if there is a better system out there for "grab and go". I've tried a clik elite chest bag, which I like, but is pretty bulky for what it holds (medium lens at maximum attached). I've been looking into cotton carrier as a result, but am open to bag suggestions as well.

Wondering what others prefer...

Stuff I could trade for a brand new car
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 16, 2012 23:28 |  #2

I have a similar need and asked the same question here: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1212890

For me, looks like a Domke F-802 or Thinktank Restrospective 20 would be the best bet. There are obviously backpack options, but I want something that will allow me to alternate bodies and not have to get the bag down or swing it around to my waist, etc.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

r.kristoffersen
37 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2012 07:19 |  #3

I have also the Guru and the Loka. Even though I like the both, I haven't used the Loka since I got the Guru. I just prefer the smaller sized backpack. For grap and go I use a Retrospective 7, which I recently exchanged for a Retrospective 10. The R7 holds the same equipment, but is more compact.

Dumont244
40 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 17, 2012 11:54 |  #4

Does a gripped body (7D) fits in the R7 ?

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 17, 2012 12:51 |  #5

domke f3x

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 17, 2012 14:31 |  #6

Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for me. The body in the centre section can be gripped.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

I have a Cotton Carrier vest/holster and a Black Rapid DR2 double strap, which are great when actively shooting, but for transporting stuff about - e.g. that five mile hike to get to where you want to shoot - and protecting it from weather, bumps and villains I think some sort of bag is invaluable. Plus you have somewhere to attach your tripod, jacket, drink, food and nik-naks.

Oh, and there's no problem to transport it all in the bag and then break out the vest/straps to "wear" the cameras once you're at your location. The bag sits quite comfortably over the top and does not get in the way.

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 18, 2012 08:49 |  #7

I can put both of my 7D's into my Billingham 307. One usually has the 17-55 on it and the other the 70-300 on it. Works a charm. :)

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2012 09:06 |  #8

My one lens solution: Black Rapid Sport-2
My two lens + flash solution while cycling: Timbuk2 Snoop
My two/three lens + flash and other small gear: Think Tank Retrospective 30
My "carry all" hiking: National Geographic Medium Backpack

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

inernets
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 18, 2012 09:22 |  #9

Here is my quick vote for Lowepro Stealth Reporter d300 or the next one up. I have the d300 and d650AW and i absolutely LOVE them.

the 650 is way too big for most people, the d300 is too small for most and the medium one is the best for most. If you want more info on them, i can post a review later and some photos

The reason i like them so much, you can QUICKLY grab your gear while on the move. You can pull things out from the top zipper while walking, or open it up. You can have it slinged over one shoulder and than use the belt to connect to your waste to distribute the weight. If you REALLY want something to grab your gear while on the go this could be one of the best bags. Only problem is the are a little heavy. You can carry a small laptop with these.

Here is a photo of the bigger one. This is a monster and you have to be pretty big to carry this for a long time

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/6983903010_8c7eea892b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ehambrick/69839​03010/  (external link)
Hey it's me! Mason Neck State Park Outlook (external link) by Evan Animals (external link), on Flickr

1D III - 1D II - 5D II - 50D - 40D - EOS M.
16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,162 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 18, 2012 09:22 as a reply to  @ Paolo.Leviste's post |  #10

I don't usually carry a bag when I am shooting. I will wear a photo vest and carry my 40D and 7D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses on an OPTECH Dual Harness which allows instant access to either camera and distributes the weight of the two cameras and lenses across my shoulders.

When I need a camera bag, I will use a Domke F-2...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

swldstn
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 18, 2012 19:11 |  #11

I ended up using a Think Tank Retrospective 20 and/or a Glass Taxi for my grab and go bags. I've been using the Retro 20 since Xmas and love it. I bought the Glass Taxi to hold a large lens but now that I've got it I can see it as an alternative if I want a backpack style. It's nice and deep so it can handle pro or gripped bodies which is a must for me.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2012 19:44 |  #12

Lowepro 75 aw

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 10, 2012 04:00 |  #13

I like my Billingham Hadley Pro for really light setups, and my Crumpler 6mdh for when I want slightly more stuff, but for any type of hiking or non-city stuff I'll grab my F stop Guru.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

2,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's your preferred "grab and go" solution?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.