Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Jul 2012 (Friday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo stolen - advice?

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 18, 2012 22:12 |  #16

If someone is using your photo you should be paid for it. You will never get paid with that attitude.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,395 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 18, 2012 22:30 |  #17

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14875476 (external link)
However, I am not, nor do I really think I will ever make any money off pictures. I'm not really good enough in any genre to do it and probably never will.

This attitude always baffles me. Your images are good enough for other people to make money off but not for you to make money off? Your local paper is a commercial venture. They earn money from ad revenue, they get ad revenue from readership and they get readership from content - including your photos.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 18, 2012 22:38 |  #18

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14875476 (external link)
My pics get posted in the local paper sometimes, and I know that they have no clue as to whether they should use it or not. All I did was send a very kind note (essentially thanking them....although, you know....they are my photos), and asking for credit. The credits before were something like "photo: special" or something like that.

I told them they can use my photos however they like, including ads, but to give me credit.

However, I am not, nor do I really think I will ever make any money off pictures. I'm not really good enough in any genre to do it and probably never will.

They know EXACTLY what they are doing and counting on you either not caring, seeing it or doing precisely what you did.

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2012 23:39 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14876435 (external link)
This attitude always baffles me. Your images are good enough for other people to make money off but not for you to make money off? Your local paper is a commercial venture. They earn money from ad revenue, they get ad revenue from readership and they get readership from content - including your photos.

I agree.
They ARE obviously " good enough" otherwise they wouldn't be getting published in the first place would they?

You seem like a nice bloke but it seems others are using your naievity and good nature to screw you over which is what they are doing. If ever one day you do realise you were good enough years back, you'll have a hard time getting paid for your work when you want it.

Also makes it a lot harder for others to get any money and perpetuates the problem if only one out of 10 or 100 stolen images are picked up on and they are forced to pay for and damages.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

MikeMSD
69 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 25, 2012 22:16 |  #20

You do not have to register a photo, to hold the copyright. If you can prove you are the copyright holder (the one who took the photo), your chances are just as good as the lawyer you hire. The question is, is it worth it?

5D3(gripped) | 7D(gripped) | G12 | 24-105 f4L IS USM | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | 100-400mm f4-5.6L IS USM | 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM | EF 1.4X II | EF 2.0EX III | 600EX-RT (qty. 2) | ST-E3-RT | GP-E2 | Non-Canon Gear: 2 Complete GoPro Hero 3 systems

AlbertK
54 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2012 16:53 |  #21

Croasdail wrote in post #14875312 (external link)
What a missed opportunity. Rather than snarking at them, it was an opportunity to find yet another venue for your work. People act like their pictures are the Mona Lisa. Honestly, had this been approached from the angle of they like your work, let them use that image, and you'll work with them on future images. What you ended up with is no incremental income, and a web site that you know will not give your images air time in the future.

There is the "right" answer... which usually leads to no new business... and there is the compromise answer where you could develop a broader relationship with other venues. Most people who do this do not have nefarious intent.

What the hell????

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 27, 2012 22:49 |  #22

He forgot that free work typically leads to more free work. But hey, work is work right?

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

AlbertK
54 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 28, 2012 05:48 |  #23

Good exposure!

sponsored links

5,091 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo stolen - advice?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.