Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 05:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Does Canon replace battery?

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,797 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 19, 2012 05:02 |  #1

Bought a Canon 5d 3 from Adorama and it's not even a year since I've owned thcanon era and the battery (LP-E6) won't hold charge. My canon charger will give me the green light showing that it's fully charge. But when I install it into my camera the status shows its only at 50%. Does anybody know if Canon does battery replace free of charge? I would like a new one.

anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 19, 2012 05:43 |  #2
bannedPermanently

Call canon and ask for a warranty replacement

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

VSS2011
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 19, 2012 08:42 |  #3

I had the same with my 7D, only 3 montths old. The spare LP-E6 purchased at the same time just wouldn't fully charge.

Returned it direct to Canon (in UK). It was replaced, no questions asked, with the replacement received within 4 days which is amazing given the less than impressive British postal service.

Well done, Canon.

Age is a state of mind, and I don't.

kouasupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,797 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 19, 2012 14:13 as a reply to  @ VSS2011's post |  #4

Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow (monday) with Canon. Thanks guys!

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2012 14:18 |  #5

kouasupra wrote in post #14877203 (external link)
Bought a Canon 5d 3 from Adorama and it's not even a year since I've owned thcanon era and the battery (LP-E6) won't hold charge. My canon charger will give me the green light showing that it's fully charge. But when I install it into my camera the status shows its only at 50%. Does anybody know if Canon does battery replace free of charge? I would like a new one.

Consumer law here in the UK may be different, but we get 2 years warranty and its with the dealer, not Canon. Of course the dealer has a proper arrangement with Canon so that it costs him nothing in the end. I'd be marching that battery straight into the dealer tomorrow.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 19, 2012 15:24 |  #6

kouasupra wrote in post #14878559 (external link)
Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow (monday) with Canon. Thanks guys!

I am very interested to know what they have to say so I sure hope that you will post back after you talk to them.

My understanding is that Canon considers batteries "consumables" and, as such, there is no explicit warranty. However, the dealers will usually take care of it. I could be wrong though.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2012 03:06 |  #7

Even consumables have to carry a warranty of some kind, surely? Maybe not on an icecream cone or cup of coffee, but batteries, ready meals, paint etc. can all be faulty due to manufacturing problems that are not immediately apparent and I for one would not accept no for an answer. There would be big trouble.

Richard

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
11,131 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 20, 2012 10:47 |  #8

If Canon won't supply a replacement then fully charge the battery, then turn on the display so it stays on, and allow the battery to run down overnight. Do this about 2-3 times and then retest. I had a battery behaving much like yours (I'd get perhaps 20 shots and the camera would say battery was dead) and Canon told me that although the newer "non-NiCad" batteries don't have the memory effect, there is still a charging ciruit that gets out of whack by frequent charging when you have used a very small portion of the battery capacity. In my case I was taking a couple dozen shots, chaging and then putting the camera away for the next event. After doing the procedure the battery was restored and I was able to get the normal 300 to 400 shots without any issues. Once more in the life of that camera I had to repeat the procedure.

VSS2011
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 21, 2012 00:09 |  #9

Lowner wrote in post #14878581 (external link)
Consumer law here in the UK may be different, but we get 2 years warranty and its with the dealer, not Canon...

Not quite right.

The warranty is provided by the manufacturer. The consumer legislation, specifically the Sale of Goods Act 1979, establishes the retailer's responsibility for the goods being of 'satisfactory quality'

For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods— .

(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied, .

(b)appearance and finish, .

(c)freedom from minor defects, .

(d)safety, and .

(e)durability

Age is a state of mind, and I don't.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 03:31 |  #10

VSS2011 wrote in post #14885260 (external link)
Not quite right.

The warranty is provided by the manufacturer. The consumer legislation, specifically the Sale of Goods Act 1979, establishes the retailer's responsibility for the goods being of 'satisfactory quality'

Not sure what you are saying. As you point out, its the retailers responsibility, not directly the manufacturer. Not sure how it works elsewhere.

I always deal with the retailer anyway, its just simpler to do that. The fact that the staff in my local photo shop are friends makes it even better.

Richard

kouasupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,797 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2012 16:01 |  #11

Great News!

Canon will replace it for FREE! I called and talked to a Canon tech and told them about what happen with my battery. It just didn't charge after a couple of months of owning my 5D MK III.

Canon told me to take it into an authorize dealer and have them test it out also just to make sure it wasn't my camera or the charger. At the end it was the battery that was bad.

Totally Awesome Canon!:)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2012 16:14 |  #12

kouasupra wrote in post #14888369 (external link)
Great News!

Canon will replace it for FREE! I called and talked to a Canon tech and told them about what happen with my battery. It just didn't charge after a couple of months of owning my 5D MK III.

Canon told me to take it into an authorize dealer and have them test it out also just to make sure it wasn't my camera or the charger. At the end it was the battery that was bad.

Totally Awesome Canon!:)

Glad to hear that I was wrong!

Congratulations! :)

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

kouasupra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,797 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2012 16:48 |  #13

Yogi Bear wrote in post #14888431 (external link)
Glad to hear that I was wrong!

Congratulations! :)

No worries. I'll be getting a new battery soon. I'm glad I'm a loyal Canon customer.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,098 views & 0 likes for this thread, 6 members have posted to it.
Does Canon replace battery?
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.