Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 01:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to break into Little League

Lobstrosity
157 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 18, 2012 01:55 |  #1

I did a little bit of looking around, but didn't find good answers to my specific questions.

I've been doing a fair amount of action photography lately - mostly dog sporting events. I've decided to try and get into kids sports, mostly because my daughters will be playing in a couple of years, and my 70-200 has JUST enough reach for the smaller fields that the little kids play on.

So, my main question is how to get started, since I don't know anyone who's got small kids in sports. Should I just approach a coach at a game and ask him? Should I post an ad on CL and offer my services trying to target parents directly? I don't really care about doing the individual or team portraits, so I don't know that I would compete with whatever photographer they've already got on the job?

I plan on setting up a Zenfolio account so it's easy for parents to order prints or get digital downloads, so that part of it I think I'll be able to handle.

My other question would be about putting up pics of the entire game on a Zenfolio page. Am I going to offend parents if I'm there for one kid by handing out my business card and saying that I'll be posting pics of their kids on the Internet? People can be tricky when it comes to kids so I'm trying to figure out how to approach this the best way.

Hoping for some great words of wisdom!

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM

sponsored links
ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2012 02:28 |  #2

Lots of info about it

https://photography-on-the.net …642&highlight=k​ids+sports

https://photography-on-the.net …008&highlight=k​ids+sports

https://photography-on-the.net …268&highlight=k​ids+sports

Lobstrosity
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 18, 2012 02:48 |  #3

Well that was a little discouraging! I was thinking the same thing... nobody's doing it, so it might be a hot niche. Sounds like action shots have been tried before with limited success! Looks like I'd better be able to support a Zenfolio site another way before I assume I'll pay for it with action shots of kids' sports...

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 18, 2012 14:36 |  #4

Yeah, its not a huge money maker. But if you do want to take photos you should approch the league and not so much the coach for access.

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

TacCPhotography
498 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 19, 2012 01:44 |  #5

Lobstrosity wrote in post #14873570 (external link)
Well that was a little discouraging! I was thinking the same thing... nobody's doing it, so it might be a hot niche. Sounds like action shots have been tried before with limited success! Looks like I'd better be able to support a Zenfolio site another way before I assume I'll pay for it with action shots of kids' sports...

Very discouraging.. I'm in the same boat as you. I would have thought that parents would jump getting pictures of their kids in action.

-Tac
http://taccphotos.com (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 19, 2012 02:50 |  #6

why did you pick little league of all sports? is it something that you enjoy the sport? or you felt that the market was potentially profitable?

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 19, 2012 08:30 |  #7

TacCPhotography wrote in post #14876939 (external link)
Very discouraging.. I'm in the same boat as you. I would have thought that parents would jump getting pictures of their kids in action.

I thought the same thing, so I jumped into youth sports a few years ago. The pictures were pretty good, my SmugMug got a lot of traffic with lots of positive comments, but after a couple of years, I had sold only a few hundred dollars of actual prints. Some people can make it work, I could not.
At one tournament, I overheard a very arrogant sounding photographer sharing her business model- She prints the shots and brings them to the next event, lays them out on a table for the parents to see. She tells them that any print not purchased gets run through the shredder and "No real parent ever wants to think about their baby being shredded. They buy everything I bring." It worked for her, I just could not bring myself to do it :(

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

TacCPhotography
498 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 19, 2012 11:47 |  #8

Old Coot wrote in post #14877554 (external link)
I thought the same thing, so I jumped into youth sports a few years ago. The pictures were pretty good, my SmugMug got a lot of traffic with lots of positive comments, but after a couple of years, I had sold only a few hundred dollars of actual prints. Some people can make it work, I could not.
At one tournament, I overheard a very arrogant sounding photographer sharing her business model- She prints the shots and brings them to the next event, lays them out on a table for the parents to see. She tells them that any print not purchased gets run through the shredder and "No real parent ever wants to think about their baby being shredded. They buy everything I bring." It worked for her, I just could not bring myself to do it :(

That is also a lot of money to print out that many shots... And what if it doesn't work? We just lost a ton of money.

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14877060 (external link)
why did you pick little league of all sports? is it something that you enjoy the sport? or you felt that the market was potentially profitable?

I have friends that have asked me to come shoot their kid at their games. And yeah, I figured it would be profitable. Not to mention the fact that getting a pass to shoot real sports is a lot harder than getting a pass to shoot little league.

-Tac
http://taccphotos.com (external link)

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 02, 2012 00:06 |  #9

old coot...parents will buy a pic of their kid if its on a table in front of them.

I went to my first high school football game yesterday, my sons in K-5 and wanted to go. I was amazed at the amount of 'mums' and others on the sidelines taking pics. The majority of them had a Canon 70-200 f4 stuck onto a t3i or 50D. I haven't seen so many white lenses.

Thats prob the reason its so hard to sell prints, so many mums think they are good at it. I tell you where the market is...teaching those mums how to use their cameras.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 02, 2012 03:22 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

There are a lot of things wrong with the action business model.
As mentioned, a lot of parents are well armed themselves these days. Even if their shots aren't great, they will convince themselves they are after shelling out for what they know is decent gear.

Another problem is client saturation. For baseball you are covering a max of 30 kids over an hour or more. You might be able to get more than one game in if the fields are nearby but that's not a given that you will get all the kids batting in that time.

Putting pics on the net to sell is a dead waste of time these days if you want to get any worthwhile return. People will mean to look and never do, will procrastinate and never by, will download no matter what you do, will just want to look and can link to the pics or find one of a 1000 reasons not to buy.

If I were going to do this ( which I never would!) I'd be pre printing to 5x7's ( NOT 6x4) and bringing them back for the impulse buy, now or never sales. You can set up to print on low cost inkjet printers very cheaply these days and the quality is excellent.
I am doing 6000 8x12's a week like this and find the strategy VERY profitable.

I would also look at doing a border with the team and the date the pic was taken and otherwise adding value to the image to help create something unique and different. If you are going to punch out 6x4's that for all intents and purposes look the same as the parents get from wartmart themselves, You are never going to move anything.

I agree with the above comment about teaching people to use their camera's and the money is in T&I.
if you want to shoot happy snaps of your kids, be satisfied doing that. If you want to make a real business with a worthwhile return on your time, then approach it from a proper business angle and realise that this is not a good or viable market strategy.

You need something with a much higher saturation rate of kids per hour at a greater spend level than what this sort of work offers.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 02, 2012 17:10 |  #11

I dont shoot little league, but I had a kid play. The only pictures I bought was whebn a guy was sooting a tournament and had prints for sale. They were 5x7.

He would shoot durin the morning games and have prints that afternoon. Very few went unsold. He had a bulk deal with a llocal lab. I know the deal because it was a lab i used to own.

When i owned the lab i did them for 50 cents a print. He was selling his for 5 bucks a shot.

I personally never went online to view pictures. Probably because the excitement of the tournament was over.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,843 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 03, 2012 11:20 |  #12

More: How To Make Money With High School Sports?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 03, 2012 15:04 |  #13

Their fences are usually really low. If you got a good running start, I bet you could clear them.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

2,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.