Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something on my 7D viewfinder

jpburke
50 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2012 21:38 |  #1

I recently purchased a 7D, probably about 3 weeks ago. I just noticed a white splotch in the viewfinder. It doesn't appear in photos and it cannot be seen when your eye is against the viewfinder. Here are some photos. You can see it in the lower right corner.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Should I issue a waranty claim or just live with it and get it cleaned out in the future? I'm being a little picky here but just curious about people's opinions.

sponsored links
lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 19, 2012 21:51 |  #2

I usually get a Q-tip or clean cotton cloth and clean mine. Never cause any problems.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

jpburke
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2012 21:53 as a reply to  @ lauderdalems's post |  #3

It's not on the outside. I already tried wiping it off with a cloth.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,454 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 19, 2012 21:54 |  #4

Any manner of material can get on there; as mentioned above, just get a clean cloth or Q-Tip and clean it off.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

jpburke
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 19, 2012 21:58 |  #5

How do i get behind the viewfinder to clean it?

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 19, 2012 22:10 |  #6

Did you try and clean it dry or use an alcohol base cleaner. Looks like what I get sometimes and it will not come off with a dry cloth, so I use a wet lens cloth.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 19, 2012 22:23 |  #7

That looks like an oil based spot. As others have said a liquid cleaning is necessary. The best that can be expected dry is to smear it around. Lens cleaner would be best but if you have something for cleaning eye glasses that would work. Just don't have it dripping wet.

By the way you picture shows no eyecup. Is it missing or is that just for the picture?

jpburke
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 20, 2012 07:53 |  #8

I just removed the eyecap for the photo.

I will try lens cleaner when I get home from work tonight it really seems like the mark is on the inside. It doesn't move or smear when I wipe it with a cloth.

Hopefully, my next post will be me thanking everybody and calling myself a dummy.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 20, 2012 13:39 as a reply to  @ jpburke's post |  #9

Did you buy it new from a reputable dealer? If you did and if the spot IS on the inside, I'd be asking for an exchange for another new camera.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 20, 2012 16:23 |  #10

Probably a crazy question, but I see the spot is long and narrow. Were you by chance checking the viewfinder in an area with overhead fluorescent lights?

jpburke
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 20, 2012 19:12 |  #11

I bought it refurbished from B&H . The spot is definitely on the inside. I was unable to clean it off with lens cleaner.

sponsored links

1,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
Something on my 7D viewfinder
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.