Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 00:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 7D firmware released - good upgrades!

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 20, 2012 14:03 |  #1156

So it seems like there are these Error 30 problems but I am not sure if my problem is the same.
Updated the firmware and tested it and fine. Then have shot two weddings since and each time the camera just freezes 6-7 times over the course of the day. No settings will change and the on/off switch doesn't work. Remove the two batteries and replace and everything works fine (except it seems to reset the clock every time but not date). Any ideas or is this just the issue many are having with the new firmware?
Have had the camera since it was released and never had an issue before.
Thanks--

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
Ouessant
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 20, 2012 14:23 |  #1157

Some people in France have reported the same problem after the firmware update, apparently it is caused by the Auto Power Off function.
Each time the camera shuts down (after 1 or 2 minutes depending on what you've set in the menu), it freezes, and you have to remove the batteries.
The problem can be solved by setting auto power off to OFF.

Fran├žois
flickr (external link)

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 20, 2012 14:43 |  #1158

Ouessant wrote in post #14883027 (external link)
Some people in France have reported the same problem after the firmware update, apparently it is caused by the Auto Power Off function.
Each time the camera shuts down (after 1 or 2 minutes depending on what you've set in the menu), it freezes, and you have to remove the batteries.
The problem can be solved by setting auto power off to OFF.

Thanks, will give that a try.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 20, 2012 14:50 |  #1159

wizard13 wrote in post #14883125 (external link)
Thanks, will give that a try.

You can try that, but you shouldn't have to. I've been leaving my camera on for some time now and have just been picking it up and using it whenever I want to use it, and haven't had this issue at all. It's set to automatically power off after 2 minutes.

I'd send the camera to Canon to get it looked at unless you can't afford to do so.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 20, 2012 17:44 |  #1160

kcbrown wrote in post #14883145 (external link)
You can try that, but you shouldn't have to. I've been leaving my camera on for some time now and have just been picking it up and using it whenever I want to use it, and haven't had this issue at all. It's set to automatically power off after 2 minutes.

I'd send the camera to Canon to get it looked at unless you can't afford to do so.

Thanks for the suggestion. Cannot quite send it right now but may look into that in a few weeks when things calm down.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Gallery: 453 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2012 17:51 |  #1161

I was taking some bird shots this weekend in heavy overcast and used the auto ISO max of 6400. It gave usable images at ISO 5000 and 6400. Well worth updating for me.

Now whether the noise is better due to the update or improved technique is unknown. The histogram looked good. The high ISO shots prior to the update may have been underexposed. Who knows.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 02:41 |  #1162

C Scott IV wrote in post #14884030 (external link)
Now whether the noise is better due to the update or improved technique is unknown.

No, it's not unknown. Several people have done before/after test shots and shown that there is no noticeable difference in high-ISO noise.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

DianeK
603 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2012 00:27 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #1163

Oh boy, I forgot to put the camera in P mode before installing the firmware. Did it in Av mode. So far no problems but then I haven't shot more than ten images since update. Do any of the gurus here know what the consequences of not having it in P mode are likely to be?

Diane
7D | 60D | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | EF 70-300L IS | EFS 15-85 IS | EFS 10-22 | 430 EXII's | Pocket Wizards | Sony RX100

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 22, 2012 00:38 |  #1164

DianeK wrote in post #14890373 (external link)
Oh boy, I forgot to put the camera in P mode before installing the firmware. Did it in Av mode. So far no problems but then I haven't shot more than ten images since update. Do any of the gurus here know what the consequences of not having it in P mode are likely to be?

You're okay. P or any other than automatic mode (which is green box I believe)

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,627 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 22, 2012 00:39 |  #1165

I kept mine in AV mode. Everything's functioning as it should as far as I can tell.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,014 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 22, 2012 06:04 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #1166

The only reason they specify P is because if you have the camera in green box or CA modes, the option to update the firmware isn't displayed. The menus are simplified in the dumbed down modes.

Anders

BB ­ Snapshots
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 22, 2012 09:24 |  #1167

wizard13 wrote in post #14882933 (external link)
So it seems like there are these Error 30 problems but I am not sure if my problem is the same.
Updated the firmware and tested it and fine. Then have shot two weddings since and each time the camera just freezes 6-7 times over the course of the day. No settings will change and the on/off switch doesn't work. Remove the two batteries and replace and everything works fine (except it seems to reset the clock every time but not date). Any ideas or is this just the issue many are having with the new firmware?
Have had the camera since it was released and never had an issue before.
Thanks--

I have the same exact issue. I have cleared my settings, (although I don't think that is going to do anything), and I've reinstalled the firmware. So far I haven't had any freezes, but I haven't been able to shoot much - just keeping it by my desk at work and testing it out. (Shoot, let it go to sleep, shoot, let it go to sleep - no issues yet.)

Note: on the second firmware update I did two things differently than the first time:

1.) I took off my canon battery grip and only used a single battery. (My theory being - the issue could be related to the grip.)

2.) I powered down and took the battery out after hitting "OK" that the firmware was installed. Last time I updated the date/time/location before turning off and removing battery for 10s. (Instructions say 2s, but hey - I'm trying to fix my baby here!)

I'll keep you updated if I have any freezing issues after the second installation.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Buckler
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Brian Buckler Photography (external link) | Like my page on Facebook! (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,923 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2012 09:32 |  #1168

BB Snapshots wrote in post #14891483 (external link)
I have the same exact issue. I have cleared my settings, (although I don't think that is going to do anything), and I've reinstalled the firmware. So far I haven't had any freezes, but I haven't been able to shoot much - just keeping it by my desk at work and testing it out. (Shoot, let it go to sleep, shoot, let it go to sleep - no issues yet.)

Note: on the second firmware update I did two things differently than the first time:

1.) I took off my canon battery grip and only used a single battery. (My theory being - the issue could be related to the grip.)

2.) I powered down and took the battery out after hitting "OK" that the firmware was installed. Last time I updated the date/time/location before turning off and removing battery for 10s. (Instructions say 2s, but hey - I'm trying to fix my baby here!)

I'll keep you updated if I have any freezing issues after the second installation.

Cheers,
Brian

FWIW: one of the steps in the Magic Lantern installation is to remove any accessories from your camera before you start. This includes grip, transmitters, flash, etc.

Good thinking that it could be the grip -- I wouldn't have thought of that w/out my ML experience.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

DianeK
603 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2012 09:42 |  #1169

jwcdds wrote in post #14890420 (external link)
I kept mine in AV mode. Everything's functioning as it should as far as I can tell.

Phew, good to know.

Diane
7D | 60D | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | EF 70-300L IS | EFS 15-85 IS | EFS 10-22 | 430 EXII's | Pocket Wizards | Sony RX100

DianeK
603 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2012 09:43 |  #1170

apersson850 wrote in post #14890914 (external link)
The only reason they specify P is because if you have the camera in green box or CA modes, the option to update the firmware isn't displayed. The menus are simplified in the dumbed down modes.

Thank you

Diane

sponsored links

232,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 7D firmware released - good upgrades!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.