Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 12 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Visiting Greece?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2012 14:44 |  #1

I am thinking of taking a trip by myself to visit Greece. I actually know very little about it and was hoping to get some insight to start/further some online reading :)
- Is it safe to visit + travel around as a single female?
- Is it easy to visit the various islands? I assume there are regular ferries or similar?
- Is ~10 days enough to visit almost everything, or given that time should I focus on only a bit and leave the other half to another trip?
- A lot of what I picture about Greece is these uncommon houses and buildings lined up along the mountainside and the ocean. Is this what most of greece is like - lots of hiking around and vertical climbs?
- What else should I know?

Where my mind is right now, I'd like to visit Greece as more of a "photography expedition"

Much appreciated

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2012 14:49 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Go google Greece and the Euro crisis. Not to deter you but the Greece govt, the society, and the politics are in a precarious situation. Greece is waiting for the next bailout money from the IMF around September. No bailout money == Greece going bankrupted == exiting the Euro. They have been speculating this for a year now.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,145 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 12, 2012 15:14 |  #3

TooManyShots wrote in post #14848946 (external link)
Go google Greece and the Euro crisis. Not to deter you but the Greece govt, the society, and the politics are in a precious situation. Greece is waiting for the next bailout money from the IMF around September. No bailout money == Greece going bankrupted == exiting the Euro. They have been speculating this for a year now.

The "precious" situation in Greece is making things a bit precarious;)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2012 15:17 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

RPCrowe wrote in post #14849038 (external link)
The "precious" situation in Greece is making things a bit precarious;)

Hahaha..oops, stupid spell check...:)

Facebook (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 12, 2012 15:33 |  #5

Maybe I was a little naive, but I thought things would still be pretty okay for a tourist to visit Greece...

I guess that was the wrong assumption? It seems like the worst case is exiting the Euro - but then what? Suddenly no stores will accept euro currency?

Doesn't make sense that all tourists would be so strongly affected as a result...

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2012 16:46 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #14849122 (external link)
Maybe I was a little naive, but I thought things would still be pretty okay for a tourist to visit Greece...

I guess that was the wrong assumption? It seems like the worst case is exiting the Euro - but then what? Suddenly no stores will accept euro currency?

Doesn't make sense that all tourists would be so strongly affected as a result...

The Greece tourist industry has been hard hit with the Euro crisis. At one point, last year, public sectors were on strikes because the Union didn't like the govt austerity measures. I believe some POTN members here got stranded by the strikes and couldn't get back to the US for another week. If I were to travel aboard on a vacation, I want to got to visit a country with a stable govt and social and political climates. Unless I am traveling as a photojournalist.......

Facebook (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 13, 2012 11:41 |  #7

I went to Santorini exactly two years ago, in August. In June there were strikes by transportation unions, and the ferries between the islands were very unreliable, some people got stranded on the islands for some days. As a result, in August there were no crowds, the locals told me that it was not more than half of usual number of tourists there (still crowded in Oia and Thira). The prices went down, the choices were better, the service better and faster. So the choice is yours: You can take a chance and have a great vacation, or you may get stuck at a ferry port or an airport.

As far as to what to see and go, you should really do some initial research to understand where you are going. Tripadvisor, Frommer, etc. - they are all a good start.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 19, 2012 14:06 |  #8

Can anyone provide and recommendations or links to resources that highlight some places to visit - for those who want to focus on the photography aspects of visitng?

haliapsychologika
133 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 21, 2012 04:08 as a reply to  @ kaitlyn2004's post |  #9

A lot depends on when and for how long you are planning to stay here (as you can see from my profile I am Greek and live in Athens). Greece may be a small country but there are lots of places with photographic interest located in different parts of the country.
It would also help if you could be a bit more specific on what you'd like to "shoot".

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2012 17:01 |  #10

haliapsychologika wrote in post #14885745 (external link)
A lot depends on when and for how long you are planning to stay here (as you can see from my profile I am Greek and live in Athens). Greece may be a small country but there are lots of places with photographic interest located in different parts of the country.
It would also help if you could be a bit more specific on what you'd like to "shoot".

Hey - I'm curious what your thoughts are in terms of actually visiting? Is now a "safe" time to visit? I've heard of protests and strikes, and I don't want to be in a dangerous situation nor a situation leaving me stranded on an island longer than expected!

In terms of shooting, it would be a lot of the architecture but I also really like landscapes. Quite honestly I'm all over the place...

Wildlife to landscapes to long exposures :)

InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
15,427 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 11, 2012 04:50 as a reply to  @ kaitlyn2004's post |  #11

Just seen this thread, I don't know if it's late...

Greece is an absolutely safe place for everyone, especially women, much safer than many places in Europe, of course regural precautions should be taken (beware of bags, pockets, dark corners after midnight in some run down places in Athens...)

As a tourist you will not notice the effects of the crisis, only many closed shops, some homeless and beggars), as the lack of money circulating in the country affects the life of the locals, not what is seen by a tourist (less income to every citizen to live, heavy taxation, 25% of unemployment, decayed public health care and rest public services, etc).
This summer there were not any strikes, but from September I cannot be sure, but I think this time they will not much affect transportation.

Athens is not a attractive city for taking photos, but has some great monuments that shouldn't be missed.
Next is a day cruise to the islands Aigina, Poros, Hydra.
Next are the islands (Santorini, Paros, Mykonos, mainly by ship) and Kos, Rhodes by Air.
Then you have the antiquities, Mycenae and Nauplion, Olympia, Delphi, and further the Meteors by car.

Peloponnese and the North I think they must be explored in a later and longer time.

Some simple photos

syndicate1
159 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 03, 2012 15:57 as a reply to  @ InPhoto's post |  #12

Kaitlyn...Stetzam has it right on the money. It is absolutely safe for a single female to vist by herself, but watch out for the dirty ol men that would want to touch you and grab your butt (you might not mind that?) :D

I met my wife (who is of Greek descent ) there, she was visiting from Toronto and I from the UK. Not much to see in Athens once you have shots the obvious sights as well as the Plaka area, parliament and the subway station with all the archeological artifacts in glass case along the escalator

You have to get out of Athens to shoot the real gems, but am afraid 10 days isn't enough to cover all, you will have to come back at some point, and perhaps take in Turkey at the same time

sponsored links

2,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Visiting Greece?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.