Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Aug 2012 (Monday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dc came back from Sigma, AF VF lights are dead...

S-Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 21, 2012 00:48 |  #16

And what sucks is if I were to send the lens and body to Canon to have them adjust the body to the lens, they wouldn't touch it. "Wellp, Shouldda bought a 24L..." they'd say.
Lannes, I wonder if this is the case, and if so, Sigma should fix it back IMO.
What struck me as odd, is that it wasn't one or two lights that didn't work anymore, it was ALL of the lights of the focus points.
I have an XTi and a couple of focus point lights went out on it, but not all of them. Just seems so weird.

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 21, 2012 04:39 |  #17

S-Man wrote in post #14885349 (external link)
Lannes, I wonder if this is the case, and if so, Sigma should fix it back IMO.
What struck me as odd, is that it wasn't one or two lights that didn't work anymore, it was ALL of the lights of the focus points.

If you want to try swapping the SI screen around, here is the process, on the SI screen the tabs are not identical there is one small tab and one wider tab, note the orientation of these, also watch out for the tiny screws I use needle nosed tweezers to hold them while screwing them back

http://shimworld.wordp​ress.com …-the-5d-mk-ii-viewfinder/ (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2012 05:43 |  #18

I was planning on taking my 5Dc and Sigma 50mm in to Sigma's service center today. Now your experience has me worried. The Sigma is the only one of my lenses that doesn't AF accurately. I think I will give them a chance to fix this, but I probably won't be buying non-Canon again.

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 21, 2012 05:47 as a reply to  @ S-Man's post |  #19

I've had the same issue with my 5Dc. It suddenly didn't work anymore. I still used it as my main body for 1,5years...

Camera • lenses

misty66
Goldmember
4,086 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 06:06 |  #20

I have the same issue, not after sending to Sigma, and still use my 5Dc for 2.5 years now. Has been in for repairs and they still don't work. I learned to live with it...

Please call me Sandra
My girls (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,374 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 21, 2012 08:19 |  #21

frugivore wrote in post #14885884 (external link)
I was planning on taking my 5Dc and Sigma 50mm in to Sigma's service center today. Now your experience has me worried. The Sigma is the only one of my lenses that doesn't AF accurately. I think I will give them a chance to fix this, but I probably won't be buying non-Canon again.

I would never send in my camera to Sigma. When I needed a lens adjusted, I took several test shots with a ruler, etc, and included that on a CD along with the lens. They adjusted accordingly, and it has been fine since. In any case, I doubt Sigma could cause the LEDs to fail, it happens all by itself as evidenced by others' posts. All Sigma would have done was to adjust the lens, mount the lens to the camera, and take some test shots.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2012 14:16 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14886281 (external link)
I would never send in my camera to Sigma. When I needed a lens adjusted, I took several test shots with a ruler, etc, and included that on a CD along with the lens. They adjusted accordingly, and it has been fine since. In any case, I doubt Sigma could cause the LEDs to fail, it happens all by itself as evidenced by others' posts. All Sigma would have done was to adjust the lens, mount the lens to the camera, and take some test shots.

I should probably do that, but their building is only about 20 minutes from my house. The AF of the Sigma is off on both my 5Ds, whereas all Canons are spot-on. I bought the Sigma (new from B&H) expecting that there might be an AF issue anyhow, so no surprise to me.

At least if my body comes back with the AF lights dead, it'll confirm for the OP that it was Sigma's fault :)

S-Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 21, 2012 15:24 |  #23

Haha well some of these posts make me feel it wasn't Sigma at all. Maybe the lights just happened to go off when it was in Sigma's care? Just my luck either way.
Should I even bother Sigma about this?
I may try turning the screen around, but after looking at that link that was posted, I don't have the tools for that and frankly am afraid to screw something up haha.
I wonder how long it will take to get back from Canon.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2012 16:09 |  #24

S-Man wrote in post #14888166 (external link)
Should I even bother Sigma about this?

Most definitely! If you never ask, you never get!

S-Man wrote in post #14888166 (external link)
I may try turning the screen around, but after looking at that link that was posted, I don't have the tools for that and frankly am afraid to screw something up haha.
I wonder how long it will take to get back from Canon.

One to 2 weeks, in my experience.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

S-Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 21, 2012 16:40 |  #25

Got off the phone with Canon, "Most repairs take between 5-7 business days". They ship out FexEx 2nd day, so we're talking around 10 business days minimum, around 2-weeks including weekends. Guess It'll have to wait.
As long as I keep the focus point on the center point, I can kind of tell when it locks (in addition to the beep).

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 21, 2012 16:58 |  #26

Doesn't the 5D have the little green "focus achieved" dot in the VF info area at the bottom? You could use that instead of the beep to get by until you ship it off to Canon.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

S-Man
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 21, 2012 22:26 |  #27

Ha is that what that thing is? LoL good to know. (I sound like an incompetent fool now :( )

misty66
Goldmember
4,086 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 22, 2012 01:42 |  #28

Virto wrote in post #14888643 (external link)
Doesn't the 5D have the little green "focus achieved" dot in the VF info area at the bottom? You could use that instead of the beep to get by until you ship it off to Canon.

Yep that is what I use, haven't got the AF points repaired.

S-Man wrote in post #14889968 (external link)
Ha is that what that thing is? LoL good to know. (I sound like an incompetent fool now :( )

:D, don't worry....you are not.

Please call me Sandra
My girls (external link)

sponsored links

3,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dc came back from Sigma, AF VF lights are dead...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.