Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 21 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OK...what am I doing wrong?

tj3775
120 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2012 13:08 |  #1

It seems to me that this image is off (looks OOF). Does the camera need to be serviced? (never had one serviced before). I resized it so I could send it but other than that, nothing else is changed

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
blam
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 21, 2012 13:13 |  #2

EXIF? what lens?

show us a 100% crop on the point of focus please.

tj3775
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2012 13:31 |  #3

blam wrote in post #14887608 (external link)
EXIF? what lens?

show us a 100% crop on the point of focus please.

The EXIF data appears to be there...The lens is a Tamron 70-200 f 2.8 that I recently had to send to Tamron for repair (it would give a communcation error).

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 21, 2012 13:53 |  #4

It's tough to tell with that small of an image, but I'm pretty sure we're seeing some motion blur. 1/500 is the bare minimum shutter speed, but I really like to be over 1/1000 for sports, unless I'm trying for a motion blur effect (like bike racing).

At f/8, you're unlikely to miss focus badly if you got the right part of the scene under the right focus point.

Are you on manual AF point selection? AI-Servo? Was this a single shot, or part of a short burst?

Try some shots at f/2.8 with a fast shutter and see how you do. Center point focus, with the spot on his numbers, AI-Servo, with about 1 second of focus tracking before you fire.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

tj3775
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2012 14:26 |  #5

waterrockets wrote in post #14887786 (external link)
It's tough to tell with that small of an image, but I'm pretty sure we're seeing some motion blur. 1/500 is the bare minimum shutter speed, but I really like to be over 1/1000 for sports, unless I'm trying for a motion blur effect (like bike racing).

At f/8, you're unlikely to miss focus badly if you got the right part of the scene under the right focus point.

Are you on manual AF point selection? AI-Servo? Was this a single shot, or part of a short burst?

Try some shots at f/2.8 with a fast shutter and see how you do. Center point focus, with the spot on his numbers, AI-Servo, with about 1 second of focus tracking before you fire.

Yeah.the shutter was 1/500th. So its might have been a tad low. The camera was set to AI Servo and it was expanded center point for the focus. Ive never shot but 2 previous football games before..did OK for my first time out I think..but this was the first one I'd did after having the lens sent in for repair. Would it have made a difference if I'd been at say f.2.8? The sun was very bright in the evening sky. I started at f 2.8 and with an iso of 400 but it seems that would have been very overexposed.

RSB
317 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2012 15:04 |  #6

tj3775 wrote in post #14887917 (external link)
I started at f 2.8 and with an iso of 400 but it seems that would have been very overexposed.

Not if you were shooting in AV mode. Stay at iso400 until your ss drops to below 1/1000th, then up your iso as needed to keep you ss above 1/800th.

Randy Brister, Cr.Photog.

tj3775
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2012 15:41 as a reply to  @ RSB's post |  #7

Yeah...here is a cropped file...might help

I know..the lighting sucks....but it was one of those things...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

blam
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 21, 2012 15:52 |  #8

looks like motion blur

RSB
317 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2012 16:38 as a reply to  @ blam's post |  #9

I agree, looks more like motion blur than being OOF. A monopod and a higher shutter speed would probably do wonders.

Randy Brister, Cr.Photog.

sponsored links

1,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
OK...what am I doing wrong?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.