Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 21 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about selling my T2i for a video camera.

blsmith2112
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 21, 2012 13:14 |  #1

I bought my Canon T2i with the intention for filming. The problem? Focusing on moving targets, keeping the temperatures under control, being able to afford lenses, etc. I'm new to filming, and have been making short films since I was 12 (I'm 24) and I want to get serious with the things I want to make.

Would it be worth it to sell my:
-Canon T2i (internal USB port no longer works for some reason)
-50mm f1/4 lens
-70-200mm f4 IS lens
-18-55mm Stock Lens
-Z Finder Pro
-Audio-Technica AT897 Shotgun Microphone

And perhaps get a little more cash together (say, $700 max) to be able to afford a superb video camera? I want something with XLR inputs and the ability to use for a long period of time (future proof). Any suggestions on an digital video camera alternative?

What would be the benefits/drawbacks?

sponsored links
Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2012 13:27 |  #2

what can the t2i not do that a video camera will do better? are you wanting to upgrade to a camcorder or a prosumer video camera? if the lack of autofocus is the only thing being a problem for you i suggest practicing following focus on moving subjects. its not super hard unless you are shooting wide open with a super shallow DOF

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 21, 2012 13:58 |  #3

Have you tried Magic Lantern? Seems like it would solve your issues minus the XLR input desire.

If you do sell your stuff, dibs on your AT897 please.

FLICKR (external link) // Portfolio (external link)5Diii + 5Dii + 60D | canon17-40/4.0 | | sigma35/1.4 | sigma50/1.4 | sigma85/1.4 | canon70-200/2.8 | yn565+568

blsmith2112
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 21, 2012 14:05 |  #4

1. I have magic lantern.
2. I don't feel like buying an expensive headphone jack to XLR adapter.
3. The heat problems on the T2i are ridiculous.
4. Unless I buy more crap, keeping the camera steady while trying to focus on a moving subject is impossible.
5. Unless I buy more lenses, I'm forced to use very wide aperture's in order to keep the ISO low... Wider Aperture = Harder to keep moving target in focus.

I'm tired of having to buy more adapters, more lenses, more everything just to have a working camera. I've done work some some Panasonic's a few years back and they seemed to be a one-stop shop for a variety of tasks. I don't have the money to be buying thousands of dollars of extra crap to get some decent functionality. I'm tired of having grainy, blurry, out of focus, shaky video. Example, my last: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ytIQZ86RtMA (external link) - It's complete CRAP.. Then my boss goes out and shoots this on her cheaper panasonic video camera http://www.youtube.com …2B27&index=2&fe​ature=plcp (external link) and gets great results. I'm sick of having lower quality results on a DSLR because I don't have the financial means to buy all the stuff required to get good results.

Silly ­ Rabbit
56 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 21, 2012 14:38 |  #5

Another victim of Vincent Lafore!

Maybe try that Panasonic and see if it suits your needs better

blsmith2112
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 21, 2012 15:02 as a reply to  @ Silly Rabbit's post |  #6

Thats why I came here. Her camera is at least 6 years old and it seems to do the trick. That said, I'd rather explore some of my other options.

Without buying a 7D, the overheating issues will remain a problem (I'm assuming 7D doesn't have this problem). The focusing problem would be fixed if I constantly was on a much more expensive tripod than I have now. To switch batteries faster with the Z-Finder attached would cost hundreds of dollars (Z-Finder attachment + battery extension/grip). To use XLR wireless LAV mics in the future, I'd need to buy an expensive adapter. Working in environments that require narrow DOF @ f/22 (so I don't have to crank the ISO) will require thousands of dollars invested into more lenses... Its quite simply too expensive.

Lobsta
136 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 21, 2012 15:12 |  #7

I had an Canon HV30 and it was a great camera but I wanted to rid the minidv and switch to something with cards. In the end I was hardly ever using it and had kind of moved away from video so I purchased a Canon 60D and started into photos which I enjoy but lately I have been trying the 60D with run and gun video and to be honest Its a pain in the butt. If it wasn't for stills I would sell my 60D and get an xa10 without question if all i wanted to do was video.

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 21, 2012 17:34 |  #8

I have done weddings for 7 years, went the dslr route, nope, bought two canon hfg10s, brilliant, i use the dslr now only for the dance and bits of creative stuff.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 21, 2012 20:27 |  #9

HDSLR filming is by nature more "labor" intensive than with a camcorder. You're asking it to do something it isn't primarily designed to do. I think you're making a good choice for you by going with an actual camcorder.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 22, 2012 12:49 |  #10

You should keep and build on DSLR, have you try smallHD DP4 or DP6 it is a good investment with peaking assistant to help you with focus, and yes cheap lenses give you cheap qaulity...never buy cheap.

Glueeater
598 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 22, 2012 14:40 |  #11

Sounds like you've given up on your T2i, so why bother?

I've used a friend's camcorder, but I disliked it. I've only ever learned how to shoot DSLR video though.

I also invested in "all those little things" like stabilizers.

FLICKR (external link) // Portfolio (external link)5Diii + 5Dii + 60D | canon17-40/4.0 | | sigma35/1.4 | sigma50/1.4 | sigma85/1.4 | canon70-200/2.8 | yn565+568

sponsored links

1,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about selling my T2i for a video camera.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.