Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems with the IS on the 24 - 105l

itzmered
558 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 19, 2012 19:29 |  #1

I just bought a 7d and thought I had something weird set on it but I am now pretty sure it is my 24 - 105 lens having major issues. The image stablizer is going nuts and it jumps all over the place. this video I found is what it sounds like and is doing http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ZXXoZzknj4M (external link)

Chris ~
Canon 7d gripped |24 - 105L| Sigma 150 - 500 OS

sponsored links
itzmered
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 19, 2012 20:15 |  #2

One thing that is good is that it is still under warranty. Has anyone else had this issue with their lens? I will be calling Canon tomorrow to have it sent in.

Chris ~

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 19, 2012 23:40 as a reply to  @ itzmered's post |  #3

Chris, I have a lens that may be doing the same thing. The problem is that there is binding friction in the AF system of the lens and AF is fighting to overcome the friction threshold as it tries to focus. This leads to the focus jumping too far past the focus point and so it tries to jump back and misses focus again. When it finally stops, it may or may not be in sharp focus. I was shooting an event for our city when this happened and found that I could temporarily "fix" the problem by focusing on something really close and then on something distant and repeating this sequence several times. The lens was then good for several shots before I had to repeat the process to unstick the focus system. I have verified the lens problem on two separate camera bodies. My lens is the EF 24-70 mm f/2/8L USM. It is most likely not the image stabilizer since its range of motion is pretty limited. I suspect that it might be the AF on your lens unless it is doing it when you are not actively focusing.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

itzmered
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 20, 2012 18:29 |  #4

I think it is the stabilizer because if I shut that off it quits doing it.

Chris ~

itzmered
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 20, 2012 20:18 |  #5

I mis spoke, I tried it again tonight and had the stabilizer off and it still does it. Turned the camera off and back on and set it to manual focus and it was fine. Set it back to AF and it was fine for a couple of shots and then it started doing it again :( So apparently it is the AF that is having major problems.

Chris ~

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 20, 2012 20:25 |  #6

It happens. No product made in the quantity these lenses are can be perfect. I had a lens that the IS was working intermittently. The switch broke. I sent it in, was out if warranty, and they fixed it for $250. That's life I'm afraid.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 21, 2012 01:22 |  #7

itzmered wrote in post #14884547 (external link)
I mis spoke, I tried it again tonight and had the stabilizer off and it still does it. Turned the camera off and back on and set it to manual focus and it was fine. Set it back to AF and it was fine for a couple of shots and then it started doing it again :( So apparently it is the AF that is having major problems.

Glad that you ID'ed the problem. Only thing to do is to send it in for repair. Amazingly, I have not done it on my lens because about the time that I start to end it in, it starts to work more or less normally. However, there is one problem that may be elated to my AF issue -- it seems to have a lot more axial CA than previously. This could be caused by an intermediate lens shifting out of position.

Just in case anybody is wondering what is axial CA (sometimes also called longitudinal CA). it is the component of CA that results from focal lengths being different as the wavelength (color) changes. It manifests itself as fuzzy color fringes in images that changes at the distance of focus. With achromatic lenses, it can vary, but mainly it seems to be green beyond the focus distance and magenta when closer than the focus distance. The other component of CA is radial (or sometimes called lateral CA) is the result of the angle of refraction being a function of wavelength. It shows up as color fringes mainly at the periphery of images. It is also known as image size CA because the projected image magnification is a function of wavelength (color).

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

Earwax69
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 21, 2012 01:29 |  #8

Wow, seriously wow! Your lens is playing the Ravel Bolero. L lenses are really awesome!

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Q4wb11w0ZHQ (external link)

Canon 6D | S35mm f1.4 | 135mm f2 The rest: T3i, 20D, 15mm f2.8, 15-85mm, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8 macro, 55-250mm.
So long and thanks for all the fish

itzmered
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 21, 2012 21:24 |  #9

Today it is not doing it at all and has been working fine :confused: it is kind of hard to send it in if it is not acting up. I will keep shooting and if it does it again I will send it in. It is under warranty until December

Chris ~

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 22, 2012 01:32 |  #10

itzmered wrote in post #14889763 (external link)
Today it is not doing it at all and has been working fine :confused: it is kind of hard to send it in if it is not acting up. I will keep shooting and if it does it again I will send it in. It is under warranty until December

That's more or less the same story with my lens. The likelihood of it acting up is a direct function of the importance of the lens to be fully operational.

sponsored links

1,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problems with the IS on the 24 - 105l
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.