Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 20 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smugmug or Zenfolio?

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 21, 2012 22:44 |  #166

Here's a bit of an update for Smugmug ...

They are still using Adobe Flash Player for the gallery slideshows which is problematic for anyone using a wide gamut monitor calibrated to full gamut. Even if you are using a fully color managed browser, the images displayed by Adobe Flash Player are not color managed. This results in the images being overly saturated (especially reds) and contrasty.

I know that Zen had the same problem awhile back (because they also used Adobe Flash Player), and have no idea if they reconfigured things to correct the issue. I only know that Smugmug has not.

Smugmug has worked well for me, but they are long overdue for a major overhaul. If I were starting over today I seriously look at Zenfolio.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
iamchanel
82 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 22, 2012 07:11 |  #167

I just recently made the switch to ZENFOLIO from smugmug. love it

My Blog :-) (external link)
Let's Be Friends :) (external link)

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 22, 2012 16:29 |  #168

Bob_A wrote in post #14890044 (external link)
Here's a bit of an update for Smugmug ...

They are still using Adobe Flash Player for the gallery slideshows which is problematic for anyone using a wide gamut monitor calibrated to full gamut. Even if you are using a fully color managed browser, the images displayed by Adobe Flash Player are not color managed. This results in the images being overly saturated (especially reds) and contrasty.

I know that Zen had the same problem awhile back (because they also used Adobe Flash Player), and have no idea if they reconfigured things to correct the issue. I only know that Smugmug has not.

Smugmug has worked well for me, but they are long overdue for a major overhaul. If I were starting over today I seriously look at Zenfolio.

HTML5 slideshow for Smugmug: http://www.dgrin.com/s​howthread.php?t=188720 (external link)

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 22, 2012 20:39 |  #169

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #14893341 (external link)
HTML5 slideshow for Smugmug: http://www.dgrin.com/s​howthread.php?t=188720 (external link)

I believe Bob_A was speaking to the slideshow options in an actual gallery, the one that goes full screen. I was under the impression JFriend's work was more for static slideshows like the landing page.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 22, 2012 21:11 |  #170

randomlinh wrote in post #14894182 (external link)
I believe Bob_A was speaking to the slideshow options in an actual gallery, the one that goes full screen. I was under the impression JFriend's work was more for static slideshows like the landing page.

Ok. That makes sense. I use the HTML5 slideshow on my portfolio galleries on my page. I put it in the description. But, he is right that the smugmug slideshow option for a gallery is flash based. I've never liked that one and haven't used it.

-Wayne

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 23, 2012 08:38 |  #171

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #14894320 (external link)
Ok. That makes sense. I use the HTML5 slideshow on my portfolio galleries on my page. I put it in the description. But, he is right that the smugmug slideshow option for a gallery is flash based. I've never liked that one and haven't used it.

I also use the one you linked to for my home page slideshow. As randomlinh mentioned it's the full screen gallery slideshows that are the issue.

Even the solution for the home page slideshow was by a user and not by SmugMug themselves. Pretty frustrating that Smug can't seem to fix their own problems. And to quote John (jfriend), who is the author of the the HTML5 slideshow replacement that you linked to (from a recent post on DGrin):

"You all now I've been a huge supporter for a long time, but patience is really starting to wear thin."

Bob

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 23, 2012 08:40 |  #172

Bob_A wrote in post #14895840 (external link)
I thought it only replaces the slideshows on custom pages, such as the homepage and category pages (I use it for the homepage slideshow). Will it work for the stock gallery pages? If it can then please let me know how you do it. :)

In my portfolio I'm using it with a gallery style of thumbnails. I just put it in the description (just like you would put it in the biobox on the main page). You should be able to use it with any gallery style. You can always point the slideshow to get pictures from another gallery as well.

Let me know exactly what you are trying to do and I'll help if I can.

-Wayne

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 23, 2012 08:45 |  #173

Bob_A wrote in post #14895866 (external link)
I also use the one you linked to for my home page slideshow. As randomlinh mentioned it's the full screen gallery slideshows that are the issue.

Even the solution for the home page slideshow was by a user and not by SmugMug themselves. Pretty frustrating that Smug can't seem to fix their own problems.

I don't know much about the full screen slideshows because I've never used them.

I do wish Smugmug would do more sometimes(especially with their native thumbnails), but the custom work shared in the community is what makes Smugmug really shine. It may be more difficult for those without the know-how, but for some of us you can do some really unique stuff with your site.

-Wayne

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 24, 2012 08:35 |  #174

Wayne, you definitely have the best Smug site I've ever seen and really show off what can be done with Smugmug customization. You've basically replaced everything that Smugmug supplies.

Here's mine, which is pathetically simple compared to yours, but probably represents the effort most hobbyists are willing to put into a site. To get to this point there was still a significant amount of customization. http://bobanderson.smu​gmug.com/ (external link)

Only one question ... shouldn't it be Two Guys Photography? :lol:

Bob

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 24, 2012 08:51 |  #175

Bob_A wrote in post #14900520 (external link)
Wayne, you definitely have the best Smug site I've ever seen and really show off what can be done with Smugmug customization. You've basically replaced everything that Smugmug supplies.

Here's mine, which is pathetically simple compared to yours, but probably represents the effort most hobbyists are willing to put into a site. To get to this point there was still a significant amount of customization. http://bobanderson.smu​gmug.com/ (external link)

Only one question ... shouldn't it be Two Guys Photography? :lol:

Thanks! :lol: We get asked that a lot. The third guy is more of a consultant that also helps out on larger jobs. We should really put his picture up. :D

-Wayne

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,451 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2012 23:02 |  #176

Go ZENFOLIO or some other hosting site.

SmugMug just raised their prices - and not by just $10-25 either.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 09, 2012 15:30 |  #177

Naturalist wrote in post #14933464 (external link)
Go ZENFOLIO or some other hosting site.

SmugMug just raised their prices - and not by just $10-25 either.

TO be fair they only doubled their price on the Pro level, for most people it is not going to effect them.

It was a poorly done price increase and has created a lot of negative PR and bad feelings from customers. I was already moving away from SmugMug because of their poor UI, but if I weren't this would have definitely pushed me away.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

NG8JGFX
741 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 09, 2012 15:33 |  #178

I use Zenfolio. So many ways to customize.

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 09, 2012 15:39 |  #179

NG8JGFX wrote in post #14968541 (external link)
I use Zenfolio. So many ways to customize.

That's what I initially moved to as well. Actually I think SmugMug is more customizable but you have to really dig deep into the CSS and code to do so. Zenfolio allows customization of the look and feel, but is a little limited on layout.

I've been struggling with making my blog look integrated with my portfolio and am now looking at yet another option. I thought *********** was going to be the solution, it looks great, big full screen photos, scales for web browsers and phones and easy to customize, but also no protection on right-clicking on a photo to copy it, so I'm not looking at other alternatives. I'm leaning towards Wordpress but we'll see.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

sponsored links

81,116 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smugmug or Zenfolio?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.