Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 10:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I want to rent a lense to try out 70-200 f4 L or 70-200 2.8L but I have a REBEL XSI?

BURQUE
125 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:09 |  #1

Sorry to bother all of you but this is the only place I can ask this question. Nobody around me knows this stuff haha. Even the local Camera shop they are RUDE Pricks!!! I really APPRECIATE all the advice I get on here!!!! THANK YOU
Anyway I have a Rebel XSI and want to try out one of these lenses. I know the grand daddy of them all is the 70-200mm 2.8 IS II. but being I have never used any of these lenses before thought one of those model listed above would be a great start for what I will be taking pics of. I will be going to a couple youth football games and may try and take some pics of some family with it as well.

sponsored links
Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:13 |  #2

If you are renting a lens, why not just rent the granddaddy of the 70-200's then and rent the 2.8 II ? They all function the same way so I don't think you need to pick one of the other models "as a start"

Unless you mean to buy whichever lens you rent, in the future, in which case if budget is a concern, or weight of the lens, then yes you should stick with the two you've listed, but the 2.8 first version is about the same weight as the 2.8 II - significantly heavier than the 70-200 f/4's (IS and non-IS versions) :)

Not sure what your question is? They will work on your XSI just fine :) have fun with the lens!

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

bfahrer
39 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:17 |  #3

I just rented a 24-105L for my T3i for a short trip...mainly for the purpose of gaining a better understanding of lenses, and to see if that was a good focal length for myself for a future purchase.

| 6D | S95 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 |

BURQUE
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:44 |  #4

This is why I value your input. I will one day buy the BIG DOGG 2.8 II.
I just thought being I have a CROP body it would be pointless to rent that version. The local camera guy here who sells them said neither of these models would work good on my camera body. Only the 70-200 f4

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #14891678 (external link)
If you are renting a lens, why not just rent the granddaddy of the 70-200's then and rent the 2.8 II ? They all function the same way so I don't think you need to pick one of the other models "as a start"

Unless you mean to buy whichever lens you rent, in the future, in which case if budget is a concern, or weight of the lens, then yes you should stick with the two you've listed, but the 2.8 first version is about the same weight as the 2.8 II - significantly heavier than the 70-200 f/4's (IS and non-IS versions) :)

Not sure what your question is? They will work on your XSI just fine :) have fun with the lens!

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:46 |  #5

If you're going to buy it one day, might as well rent it now so you can see what it is capable of. I don't understand why you think it would be pointless to rent that version just because you have a crop body. Plenty of people shoot with that lens on a crop body.

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:47 |  #6

Frietze wrote in post #14891804 (external link)
I just thought being I have a CROP body it would be pointless to rent that version. The local camera guy here who sells them said neither of these models would work good on my camera body. Only the 70-200 f4

I don't know why they would say the faster lens would not be better, I would get the F2.8 anyday. I have one and love it. Having the crop body won't make any difference from the 2.8 to the 4.

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 22, 2012 10:52 |  #7

I rented the 70-200 f/4 non-IS for my xti to get a feel for it and enjoyed the lens. I didn't rent the granddaddy because it's out of my budget when the time comes to purchase a 70-200 lens. Plus not fond of the heavy lens so I opted out for the f/4. But will want to rent the 70-200 f/4 IS to get a feel for it as well and compare both the IS and non-IS.

For me I will be able to buy a new f/4 IS vs the f/2.8 non-IS.

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 22, 2012 11:24 |  #8

Well he's wrong, :lol: in fact having a crop body can be a benefit with telephoto lenses, because of the "added reach" that the crop sensor gives you over a FF camera. I used to use the big dog on my T2i for a couple years. It's a great lens, but so are the other versions (and the f/4's) - all of them are known to be sharp and fast, so you really can't go wrong with any of them :) Just be careful, whichever one you rent you will probably want to buy! If you don't shoot in low-light, the 70-200 f/4 IS is a great lens with IQ on par with the 2.8 II, for a fraction of the cost, and weight!

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 22, 2012 11:31 |  #9

The guy that told you that is a bit of a tool; any of those lenses are going to work fine on your body. He's just trying to push you to buy a newer camera.

Rent the glass that does what you need it to do. If it is the 70-200 f/2.8L IS MkII or if it's the EF-S 10-22. Heck, the 800 f/5.6L IS would be the way to go if that's what you needed to accomplish the shot you're trying to get.

The only way the body wouldn't work with the lens you rent is if you're trying to stick an EF lens on a Sony camera, etc ;)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,170 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2012 11:39 |  #10

The local camera guy here who sells them said neither of these models would work good on my camera body. Only the 70-200 f4

The most important thing you can learn from the local camera guy's statement is that he either (1) doesn't know what he's talking about, or (2) has an ulterior motive to sell you something new. The statement itself is blatantly wrong. Any of the 70-200mm lenses will work well on your camera.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 22, 2012 11:55 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #11

Amazing what people say.

I had an Xsi, great camera, and it will handle an L lens of any type just fine.. it may not get all the goody out of an L lens (like focus speed, probably will focus faster on a pro level camera) but it most certainly is NOT a problem to put a 70-200mm L on a crop body - I've got one now on my 50d a battered 2.8 copy that is still sharp, and I love it..

that will be the downside to renting an L lens for your camera.. it will make you want more!

I'd start with what you can afford though, go with the f4 if that is the lens you are looking to buy. It is never a bad thing to buy a lens better than your camera body, you can always upgrade the body later, and you won't regret the quality of the lens.. you only regret you don't have more money!

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 22, 2012 12:05 |  #12

Most of the time, my second camera (7D) has the 70-200 f/2.8L IS on it. I don't use the IS because I shoot at faster shutter speeds...except for the panning shots.

I don't see the need to spend the extra money on the new version. Just my way of thinking.

Hope this helps.
Mike

A day at the races...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …r/Drag%20Racing​/Pan03.jpg (external link)

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …20Racing/JohnFo​rce480.jpg (external link)

Basketball with 1D MKIII/ 70-200 f.2.8 and strobes.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …er/Basketball/B​lock01.jpg (external link)

My favorite picture ever!

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …ger/Basketball/​BB01-1.jpg (external link)

Volleyball at ISO 1600 - 40D w/70-200 f/2.8

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …65/mt_stringer/​04GVVB.jpg (external link)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 22, 2012 12:37 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I used to have an XSi. It is a very capable camera. I would go for the 2.8 II, if you can afford it. One note about football. I shot a few games where I had access to the sidelines. 200mm is not near long enough for football, even on a cropper. I shot a 300mm lens and it was good for 30 yards, 40 if I wanted to do some cropping. With the 70-200 you will be limited to 25-30 yards at most, and that will be pushing it for up-close, individual action shots. I am not knocking the 70-200, it just isn't the right tool for the job. I would have no problem using it at indoor court games such as volleyball, basketball and the like. And indoors you will want the 2.8 and more.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
I want to rent a lense to try out 70-200 f4 L or 70-200 2.8L but I have a REBEL XSI?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.