Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 29 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 01:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need input from MAC users

friz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 17, 2012 22:32 |  #16

Well.....I'm a couple of weeks into my MAC experience. My intent is to give MAC OS 6 months to win me over, but I can tell you that the shortcomings in this OS are getting on my nerves. USB3 and bluray not being part of the MAC vernacular are interesting to say the least. I do like iPhoto more then I thought I would and browsing is snappy. I like the time machine backup also. I am also an avid user of open source offerings and the MAC platform does not seem to be a friendly environment for these applications. I have yet to be able to print to my printer on another PC on my network. When I go to MAC forums most have seemed to given up and bought a mac specific printer. I don't want more then one printer. It also took two weeks to get my mouse to operate the way I wanted and it took third party software to accomplish this. Really? I might get flamed for this but I think that a MAC is a great supplement to a PC.

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 18, 2012 07:33 |  #17

USB 3 is part of the OS 10 world. I ran Lion 10.7.4 on my Hackintosh without any KPs and it had full support for my two USB 3 ports. My rMBP has two USB 3 and two thunderbolt ports that work just fine. The OS has the support....even if a specific Mac machine does not have the USB 3 or thunderbolt ports.

Blueray is not there because Apple has been moving for years away from local media...no floppies, no optical disks. On our rMBPs. the Superdrive is an option that is connected via USB 3. I got one for our two rMBPs. I used it to load an iWorks disk and CS6. That may be last time I use that drive this year.

Our printers are the same HP color laser (connected via Time Capsule), and Canon 9500II (connected via Time Capsule) that we have used for a couple of years with our PCs. No problems getting them to work at all. The same goes for our Canon scanner.

I could not be happier moving to rMBP running Mountain Lion, iLife, iWork, LR 4.1, the Nik plugin collection for LR, PSE 10, and PS CS6. I am so glad not to migrate to Windows 8. I tried the beta early this year....it moved me Hack my PC. And now I have replaced my Hack and my wife's PC with the rMBPs. For us, it was the right move.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2012 08:09 |  #18

friz wrote in post #14872975 (external link)
USB3...

USB3 is available on the notebooks and will be available on the others as soon as the migration to Ivy Bridge chipsets is complete. Which Mac did you buy?

and bluray not being part of the MAC vernacular are interesting to say the least.

You'll never see Blu-ray on Macs since Apple is moving away from optical media and because its requirements of the studios is so OS-invasive. Obviously, it can be done, but Apple doesn't want to put code in its kernel that it cannot control. There are also third-part options for Blu-ray on Macs.

I have yet to be able to print to my printer on another PC on my network.

What printer do you have? I am able to print to my FIL's Epson printers when I am on his Win 7 wireless network, so it shouldn't be an issue with the Mac.

It also took two weeks to get my mouse to operate the way I wanted and it took third party software to accomplish this.

What was the problem?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 22, 2012 17:18 |  #19

friz wrote in post #14872975 (external link)
Well.....I'm a couple of weeks into my MAC experience. My intent is to give MAC OS 6 months to win me over, but I can tell you that the shortcomings in this OS are getting on my nerves. USB3 and bluray not being part of the MAC vernacular are interesting to say the least. I do like iPhoto more then I thought I would and browsing is snappy. I like the time machine backup also. I am also an avid user of open source offerings and the MAC platform does not seem to be a friendly environment for these applications. I have yet to be able to print to my printer on another PC on my network. When I go to MAC forums most have seemed to given up and bought a mac specific printer. I don't want more then one printer. It also took two weeks to get my mouse to operate the way I wanted and it took third party software to accomplish this. Really? I might get flamed for this but I think that a MAC is a great supplement to a PC.

Sounds like 'muscle memory' issues :)

Most PC users go through it. Some people get frustrated because their Mac is doing it wrong when in reality it's just doing it different. Same for people going from Mac to PC. I haven't run into a modern printer, mouse or peripheral that doesn't work on a Mac. I network my printers via my Airport Extreme along with 2 HDD's with no problem. Perhaps you could elaborate and someone will point you to some answers.

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 22, 2012 19:33 |  #20

Another Mac user with a vote for Aperture. Hubs and I just did a trial version of the most recent LR and compared the two, and still like Aperture. I just love the brushes too much. The noticeable downside to Aperture is lack of support for all those nifty PS actions we can't get, but with some work are achievable once you learn the Aperture software. I'll be downloading a trial of NIK to use with it soon once I'm sure that it does things that Aperture cannot.

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 22, 2012 19:44 as a reply to  @ post 14854343 |  #21

I've CS5 running in my iMac, and CS6 running in Windows7. I agree with everyone here. Try both and you decide from your own experience, and not have to deal with bias people.
If you are using PC, get a really good monitor with ISP :The HP LP2475 is a bit more expensive, but worth it for photos editing.

My Gear: Do you really want to know?

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 22, 2012 21:36 |  #22

I'll be downloading a trial of NIK to use with it soon once I'm sure that it does things that Aperture cannot.

Neither LR or Aperture can do what Nik Silver Efex or Color Efex can do. I was doing some architectural detail shots with a macro. I used the detail enhancer in Color Efex. The detail it brought out was amazing.

Bobd314
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 24, 2012 09:47 |  #23

Mac and PC user, <3 Lightroom. I even managed to get my non-technical girlfriend to use lightroom and she understands everything.

With apature, I would be stuck editing on one platform for the rest of my life. Lightroom gives me the flexibility to transition between platforms if I absolutely have to.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 25, 2012 06:47 |  #24

Yes indeed, due to having both Windows and Mac platforms, LR has a larger installed base that Aperture. So you can more between machines/platforms and still use basically the same app.

Adobe LR seems to be a bit ahead of Apple Aperture on development. But that could change if Apple brings out a killer Aperture 4. Aperture 3.3 is less expensive if you get from the Apps Store compared to a new copy of LR 4.1.

friz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 25, 2012 14:10 |  #25

I have to admit that a lot of my issues are muscle memory related. I am committed to my 6 month trial period. I did figure out the issue with the mouse. The logitech software to assign buttons opens with the message "no logitech products detected" it should probably read "detecting logitech products" because when I was arranging the keyboard and mouse next to the screen for a picture showing the absurdity of the situation, the software magically detected the items and asked to set them up. I would say it takes a solid two minutes for this promt. I do understand the ML has support for usb 3, so I may have to try that. I have found that iPhoto has meet all of my processing and cataloging needs without the need for additional software. Just for the record, I am not using a traditional MAC. I built a PC that could run either platform so I could try out MAC world and only be out $20 for the OS if I decided I didn't like it.I figured this would be a little cheaper then buying a MAC pro and trying to sell it If I didn't like it. Thanks for all the feedback.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 25, 2012 18:17 |  #26

I understand. When I retired this spring I had tried a Win 8 beta and hated it. So I hacked my i72600k machine with Snow Leopard without any problem. I later migrated it to Lion without problem; no kernel panics.

I got my rMBP a few weeks back and liked it so well, I converted the desktop back to Win 7 gave it goes to my brother. Our house it definitely becoming an Apple ecosystem. ;)

sponsored links

4,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need input from MAC users
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.