Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website needs

bmurf
302 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 22, 2012 15:00 |  #1

So, I'm working on rounding out my portfolio and as I do so I'm thinking more and more towards the future of becoming a business and charging for shoots.

With that, I need to make a website. I haven't done any coding or web design for probably 7-8 years and wouldn't know where to start now. Is using a site like WordPress and purchasing a suitable theme a good way to go? I worry that using something like a blog site might not seem professional.

» bmurfey.com (external link) // Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 22, 2012 15:07 |  #2

See my tutorial here. Well, not a 100% tutorial, but it's pretty easy. Wordpress works well, and people won't even know the site's powered by Wordpress if you don't want them too. Check out my website to see how they can look, lots of options though, thousands of themes around.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bmurf
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 22, 2012 15:52 |  #3

Thanks, that's actually one of the themes I was considering!

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,592 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 22, 2012 18:56 as a reply to  @ bmurf's post |  #4

Another vote for Wordpress. I also use the Photocrati theme on my site.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

bmurf
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 22, 2012 19:05 |  #5

I've not dealt with registering a domain name before either. Is it as simple as going to GoDaddy and registering the domain and then it's mine to use?

I can't decide between the Photocrati themes, or this one http://themeforest.net …277741&redirect​_back=true (external link)

olstudios
115 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 22, 2012 22:52 |  #6

I would recommend Namecheap (external link), Pretty cheap prices, and never had an issue with them.

Tim mentioned Hostgator, and they are a great hosting provider, your site is always online, tons of options to add on to your site and is reasonably priced. Sure some hosting sites are cheaper but hostgator is great and if you ever have any problems there chat techs are online 24/7 365 Days a year (I know I use to be one :))

Hostgator does provide domain registration but they are kind of expensive.

I like Photocrati, but I know some people on here are using them already. You can try out free themes, just type in photography wordpress themes, and a bunch should pop up. Of course some are better than others, but you can try out some before you buy a theme.

Equipment:
Canon 60d | Canon 17-40mm F/4L | Canon Speedlite 430exII
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 23, 2012 00:04 |  #7

I use Namecheap for registration too, not for price, but for their good reputation.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

bmurf
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2012 05:57 |  #8

Doesn't WordPress host everything? Or do I need one of the hosting packages as well?

mson
697 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 23, 2012 07:19 |  #9

bmurf wrote in post #14895462 (external link)
Doesn't WordPress host everything? Or do I need one of the hosting packages as well?

I think WordPress does offer hosting but I would recommend finding a web host. 1) they will probably be cheaper/offer more. 2) It gives you more options if you are not happy with the hosting. If you have everything with one company it's convenient if everything is going well but if you want to make changes some people have had problems getting things released, etc...

--Mike--
Critique with ruthless compassion
Canon 20D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | 430EX | 055XPROB/488RC2

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,592 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 23, 2012 08:04 as a reply to  @ mson's post |  #10

There are two flavours of wordpress. Wordpress.com offers a hosting solution but I believe they limit the amount of customisation you can do, including the plugins and themes that are available. Wordpress.org offers a version of WP that can be downloaded and then uploaded to your chosen web host. As this option is so popular many web hosts already have WP as part of a hosting package, usually with a fairly simple installation option. The benefit of using your own hosting company is that you are generally free to customise WP however you want and use whichever plugins/themes you want.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 23, 2012 15:04 |  #11

Yes, you need hosting if you want to customise Wordpress.

seanc85
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2012 15:23 |  #12

I'll second Hostgator for hosting and Namecheap for domain registration. I use both for several sites and they are great. I have dealt with Hostgator chat support several times and have not had a negative experience.

If you want to look at an alternative option to Wordpress, Drupal is also a good option. I have used drupal 7 for a couple of different sites (links below) and found it to be very versatile.

www.challephoto.com (external link)
www.pascojaycees.org (external link)

beegeeboy
304 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2012 17:02 |  #13

Hi,

I use Wordpress for a few websites but only use premium themes. Lots of pitfalls with searching and using free ones. This might give you an idea:

http://wpmu.org …-google-or-anywhere-else/ (external link)

David

Gear: A box with a hole; some tubes with glass in 'em
SmugMug (external link)

travsirocz
189 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2012 12:37 as a reply to  @ post 14912916 |  #14

Wordpress paired with Prophoto Blogs is beyond an excellent choice. You can view my site as an example.

Prophoto Blog Info and Discount Code (external link)

Updated information about Prophoto 4 (external link).

IMAGE: http://www.dewitzphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ProPhoto-Blog-Discount-Code-TDEW2869(pp_w707_h135).jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.dewitzphoto​graphy.com …graphers-using-wordpress/  (external link)

Dewitz Photography | Eau Claire, WI Portrait Photographer (external link)
Commercial Photography Company | Eau Claire, WI Commercial Photographer (external link)
The Boudoir | Eau Claire, WI Boudoir Photographers (external link)
My Blaze Orange Deer Hunting Culture Book (external link)
$10 discount code for ProPhoto Photography Blog/Website (external link) TDEW2869
Travis Dewitz

bmurf
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2012 12:46 |  #15

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Glad other was able to help others as well. Should hopefully have a site online by the end of the week. Talked to my dad about hosting because he has his own FTP and he said if I bought the domain he'd host my site for me.

sponsored links

4,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website needs
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.