Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Mar 2012 (Friday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: What gear to take?

majin ­ tcz
115 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 30, 2012 21:40 |  #1

Based on the gear in my sig what do you guys think I should take with me. I'm tempted to take it all but I'm going on vacation and I dont want to have it be a burden. I'm thinking of just taking the 5d2 and the 17-40 and rolling with it.

If anyone has been to the area with any ideas that would be awesome.

Fuji XT-2 | 10-24 F4 R OIS | 35 F2 R WR
http://tcainphotograph​y.com (external link)
http://tcainphotograph​y.wordpress.com (external link)

sponsored links
AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 30, 2012 21:52 |  #2

I was going to make a joke and tell you to bring a desire to drink Presidente beer ;)

If I were you, I'd take:

5D2, 17-40, 50, 70-200, 430EXII

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 30, 2012 22:02 |  #3

I went to Cuba 2 weeks ago, and the lens that found the most use on my 5D was my 50mm f/1.4. I used my 24-105 when I wanted wide shots, and my 135L rarely for some reach in low light. Not really sure what I would recommend you to bring, but just go as light as possible, and think about the kinds of shots you want to get.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

majin ­ tcz
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 22, 2012 20:11 |  #4

Ok I leave Saturday morning for this trip and I still haven't decided what I'm taking with me. I have this whole will never come back here again vs this is vacation argument going on in my head. I'm leaning towards just my MkII and the 17-40L which was my original thought.

Fuji XT-2 | 10-24 F4 R OIS | 35 F2 R WR
http://tcainphotograph​y.com (external link)
http://tcainphotograph​y.wordpress.com (external link)

thallikar
323 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 22, 2012 21:11 |  #5

From your gear list, 5D MII, 24-70, 70-200L and 17-40 and definitely the 580EXII since, the flashes are pretty much the same size. That is not at all too much gear to carry.

For my Aruba trip, I took in my backpack on the flight, my 100mm macro, 501.8, Samyang 14mm, yongnuo 565 flash, 1.4X and 2X converter and the 501.8. I wish I had carried my 70-200 L IS II. I was repenting so much that I did not take it. Woudld have been awesome. There was space for it. All the stuff that I mentioned would fit in your carry on backpack or messenger bag, whatever u got. If not, get a nice bag.

http://500px.com/thall​ikar (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/64724969@N06/ (external link)

JoeyC
376 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 22, 2012 23:00 |  #6

On my last trip to Punta Cana, I went with a fixed lens film rangefinder and loved it. Typically when I go abroad, I take something simple. Not a point and shoot, but either a rangefinder or a body and one (maybe two lenses). It allows you to capture more of the life, rather than the 'attractions'. If I had the gear listed in your sig, I'd take the 5DII, 17-40, and 50.

Joe - SE Pennsylvania
Site (external link)|Gear

Neil ­ B
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2012 00:34 as a reply to  @ JoeyC's post |  #7

5D2+ 17-40 is perfect and take the 50mm for portraits, the 17mm is really useful for the beautiful landscape punta cana has !! And all this gear is light weight

Website  (external link)Twitter (external link) Tumblr (external link) Facebook (external link)500px (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 23, 2012 01:13 |  #8

I would also take the 70-200 for some nice beach "scenery" photos.

Don't forget a polarizing filter as well. It will really make the blue skies, blue ocean, and white sand POP!!

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 23, 2012 03:09 |  #9

are you going on a resort or will you be visiting the towns in the island.
personally based on your gear, I would just carry the 24-70 even if it's a brick.
otherwise yeah the 17-40 will do but I bet you will wish for a longer focal length once there

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

Mark ­ Kemp
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 23, 2012 06:03 |  #10

I would take a swimming costume and some sun cream.

Seriously though I have only been to the Dominican republic once and all I really needed was a good quality compact for memories and some beach scenes.

ABTsolut
53 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 23, 2012 06:11 as a reply to  @ Mark Kemp's post |  #11

Are you willing to haul some gear?, if not, keep it simple, the 5DMKll, a wide angle and the nifty for those night shots :)

EOS 6D * 17-40 F/4L * 70-200 F/4L * 50mm F/1.8II * Vintage Mirage 70-210 Macro

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 23, 2012 14:04 |  #12

If you are going to stay at one of those all-inclusive resorts, there is not much to shoot. The beach, the pool, the restaurant, the bars... You got the idea. I went there twice, had only a P&S with me, and even that stayed in the hotel room most of the time. Just get a mask and a snorkel, and enjoy the warm ocean, tropical fish, good food, and free drinks.

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 23, 2012 14:24 |  #13

Lbsimon wrote in post #14897221 (external link)
If you are going to stay at one of those all-inclusive resorts, there is not much to shoot. The beach, the pool,

There is plenty to shoot right there...soft white sand, bikinis, palm trees, bikinis, turquoise blue ocean, bikinis, sunsets, bikinis, beach volleyball, bikinis...:p:cool:

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

lago_b
42 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 23, 2012 14:54 |  #14

Bring whatever will fit in the room's safe, which I found smaller than those in a typical American hotel. The advice about there not being a whole lot to shoot at an all inclusive is true, the workers at DR hotels are extremely impoverished and your camera and its equipment may be 5 years salary to them and well worth losing their job over, and it's hard to relax if you're worrying about your gear. Bring an old DSLR and kit lens that you're not afraid to lose if you're totally opposed to a P&S. I was fine with our ELPH 880. If you're wandering the towns and cities of the country disregard everything I wrote.

nburwell
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 23, 2012 17:09 |  #15

I'd probably bring the 5D2, 17-40, 70-200 and 50 for low light shots. Personally, I would leave the flashes at home, but it all depends on what you plan on shooting.

-Nick

sponsored links

3,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: What gear to take?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.