Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX AF Point Illumination

jhoag
723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2012 06:22 as a reply to  @ post 14894764 |  #16

I agree it is irritating. I've been so enamored with this beast, and then I tried it last night in super low light, without a tripod. I can hold a camera very steady, but any extra movement to push a button, even if well placed, is not welcome under such circumstances. I also set the additional programmable button next to DOFP to swap from Single to Servo, and that also causes the point to flash red, but only on alternate pushes as you switch from servo to single. And any fumbling at all for a button, while focus locked, can cause an inadvertant trigger.

Guess low light shooters will need to be vocal and push for a firmware change. I like the idea of a highly intermittent pulse. Or perhaps they could change to red and stay red if you lock exposure?

Smugmug (external link) : Gear List

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2012 09:55 |  #17

DwightMcCann wrote in post #14894764 (external link)
I take it you don't make your living shooting low light events like concerts. I'm always amazed that anyone suggests that the clear issues/problems that others bring up are non-issues just because they don't have them.

I don't think it matters if I make a living with it or not. I still use the camera in demanding situations. But its not like its impossible to use in low light...

I was shooting at ISO 51,200 at f/4 at 1/5 SS... extremely dark. But all you have to do is move the AF point or push the AF selection button to light it up. Takes a half second at most, no? I see how it can bother people but at the same time, its not something that cripples the camera IMO in low light. It has its workarounds.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 23, 2012 10:26 |  #18

Invertalon wrote in post #14894744 (external link)
Shot in darkness the other night with no issue... just simply pushed the AF select button before and like magic, illuminated AF points!

Don't get the big deal myself.

Shoot some low light action in AI servo. Would love to see the shots also. :D

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2012 10:50 |  #19

Pretty ordinary this wasn't sorted in the 1Dx after all the complaints with the 5D3.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2012 11:52 |  #20

bobbyz wrote in post #14896321 (external link)
Shoot some low light action in AI servo. Would love to see the shots also. :D

Can you give an example in which light is so low you can't make out the AF points, yet you have shutter speeds fast enough to stop the action in servo mode?

I shoot in servo all the time... If it is so dark I can't see the AF points, it is highly unlikely I have enough light not to end up with a smeary mess because my shutter speeds are too low.

I am not saying these problems are not real... I am sure for some this is a big problem. I am just saying I have yet to come across any situation where it has hindered me. One shot or servo, in the darkest of light.

I honestly think the red illumination is bothersome in low light when you don't need it. So if they do fix it, I hope they allow you to disable it. I would hate my viewfinder lighting up bright yet every time it focused.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 23, 2012 11:54 |  #21

It was entirely unnecessary for me to couch my response in such an antagonistic way last night and I apologize.

I make a fair amount of money (enough to pay for my gear list anyway ... you might take a quick glance as it's linked in my signature and is right here in POTN) shooting concerts. The technique I have always used to shoot the talent through 1D Mark 2, 1D Mark 2N, 1D Mark III and 1D Mark IV bodies is to spot meter with exposure linked to the selected AF point, place that point on their face, track them and wait for those special instants that show their personalities. This requires a lot of tracking around. It also requires a lot AF point shifting. Many of these moments are only 1/2 second long to less and the ability to know exactly where the active AF point is, continuously, even when passing through black areas (which are a large portion of the scene) is critical. Having to take my thumb off the AF-ON button and wiggle the multi-controller and place the AF spot cripples this process and reduces the number of 'money shots' I can capture reliably.

I also shoot professional boxing from the mat. The background for this type of work is almost all dark except for the fighters who move violently around the ring. I rely totally on autofocus using a single AF point which must be placed on a significant point in the image such as face or glove. It is very difficult if I can't know where that spot is continuously because that action occurs in 1/10th of a second ... not nearly long enough to touch the multi-controller to confirm the location of the AF point, move back to the AF-ON button and wait for the focus to occur.

If you shoot 'in the dark' but never in these types of situations, particularly for pay, you might not have issues and be perfectly happy with the results you obtain. If I can't produce excellent images under ANY circumstances, I will be replaced quickly by someone who can. So, again, let me more civilly say, "The fact that for your uses a particular piece of equipment is entirely satisfactory has little to nothing to do with the very different circumstances that others experience. To say that you don't have the problems/difficulties/​issues being discussed suggests to most of us that you don't think such things are legitimate. Since we have suffered a great deal of frustration at this unwelcome and sudden change by Canon, particularly in a $7000 camera (which your signature suggests that you don't even own), we may over react a bit when you do this."

Invertalon wrote in post #14896210 (external link)
I don't think it matters if I make a living with it or not. I still use the camera in demanding situations. But its not like its impossible to use in low light...

I was shooting at ISO 51,200 at f/4 at 1/5 SS... extremely dark. But all you have to do is move the AF point or push the AF selection button to light it up. Takes a half second at most, no? I see how it can bother people but at the same time, its not something that cripples the camera IMO in low light. It has its workarounds.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2012 12:03 |  #22

I understand your point of view, no doubt... But even though I have owned the 5D2, 7D and 5D prior, along with two rebels... I can not remember how it is any different from those bodies.

The 7D acts just like the 5D3 does. The 1Dx is identical to the 5D3.

What did the older bodies do so different? I move my AF point and it flashes red. Servo or one shot it does this in a pitch black room just moving the joystick. You don't even need to hit the AF selection button before (at least how I have mine setup). If I want to check where the AF point is, hit the AF selection button. To move it, move it with the joystick. Both illuminate it so I can see where it is.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 23, 2012 12:24 |  #23

Invertalon wrote in post #14896679 (external link)
I understand your point of view, no doubt... But even though I have owned the 5D2, 7D and 5D prior, along with two rebels... I can not remember how it is any different from those bodies.

What did the older bodies do so different? I move my AF point and it flashes red. Servo or one shot it does this in a pitch black room just moving the joystick. You don't even need to hit the AF selection button before (at least how I have mine setup). If I want to check where the AF point is, hit the AF selection button. To move it, move it with the joystick. Both illuminate it so I can see where it is.

Can you do this movement in 1/10th of a second? In the "old" bodies (as listed above), when shooting in AI Servo (which is all I do), when you press the AF-ON button the AF spot being used is illuminated in red and stays illuminated continuously, allowing me to place it on a face and then follow the subject ... and continue to know where it is when the subject escapes and the spot hits the black background. If this doesn't make sense, please reread my previous reply. Timing is almost instantaneous ... there isn't time to hit some other button so every time you talk about the AF selection button or the multicontroller, I cringe. It is not "a point of view", it is a reality for shooting in these venues.

Dwight McCann

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 23, 2012 12:36 |  #24

Steve, old bodies light up the AF point in red like Dwight said. They do just the selected point. Shooting sports I have no time to hot other buttons. Not sure what kind of action you shoot.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

flurofocus
139 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 23, 2012 13:01 |  #25

me too waiting for canon to fix it b4 buying the 1dx if it ever get fixes...but here's partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination from FM, its better than nothing...

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11401​31 (external link)

Partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination

While some of us using the 1DX are waiting and hoping that Canon will update firmware to enable constant illumination of the selected AF point (recognizing the limitations of the new viewfinder hardware with overlay), I thought I'd pass along something that I'm sure others have noticed, but I haven't seen mentioned in print as a tip.

I've programmed one pair of the multi function buttons (one for H orientation, one for V) to switch, while pressed, to spot AF. My default is generally a point with surrounding points. When I need a quick reminder of where my AF is pointed without actually having the camera AF until I know it will do it where I want, I press the M-Fn2 button. This causes the center of my AF point group to flash red. I can then keep pressing the M-Fn2 button if I want that kind of precision selection, or release it and be in surround point mode. Either way, the thumb has not had to stray from the AF-on button, so I'm ready to immediately activate AF and shoot.

I'm sure for birders and most sports shooters this would be a "so what" idea, but for some shooting environments I find it helpful.

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 23, 2012 13:11 |  #26

flurofocus wrote in post #14896895 (external link)
me too waiting for canon to fix it b4 buying the 1dx if it ever get fixes...but here's partial workaround for 1DX AF point illumination from FM, its better than nothing...

This does not help when you need continuous/instantaneo​us AF point location as it requires pressing another button, see location in viewfinder, then move composition and then press shutter button. Really, if you can't do it in 1/10th of a second then it's way too long! Honest. Some of us have many years of experience and we really, really, really do know what we're talking about. It's a poor kludge that just doesn't cut it.

Anyway, I've found out what I needed to know. I don't need to know any more about how it's not a problem for anybody else. I thank you all for your contributions. I am unsubscribing.

Dwight McCann

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 23, 2012 13:38 |  #27

Invertalon wrote in post #14896679 (external link)

7D is the first body that have black AF point under Servo, but since most professional shoot 1D/ 5D series it never gets "discovered"
Hope this get fix soon even just for 1DX, I can see how this could be annoying under dark situation.

Nikon D800

dennykyser
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 25, 2012 00:26 as a reply to  @ ching's post |  #28

I also hope Canon is looking into this.

I know some will never see the issue, but chances are its because they always leave the focusing point in the middle when in AL Servo Mode.

I move the focus point all over depending on where I am to the action, I also lock the focus point on a face and follow the action. The illuminated focus point makes it easier to follow the action.

I shoot manual most of the time, but if the exposure is off a little when using a different mode, then I will fix that in post. Its not possible to fix an out of focus face after the fact.

I feel if canon does not fix this, they will loose some shooters to Nikon.

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
6,203 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 13, 2012 09:10 |  #29

I can also add to the list of annoyed users at this issue.

For everything I use this body for the black focus point is a major upset really.

At tonights gig (my first with the 1DX) I was baffled as to why I couldn't see my focus point I'd previously selected. There is no way in hell I will be hitting another button to re-illuminate the focus point. I'm with Dwight in that there is no time when shooting gigs to even think about doing that!

Ideally there will be a firmware upgrade to fix this?

Please tell me there will be a firmware upgrade to fix this?

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,813 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 13, 2012 12:02 as a reply to  @ BJWOK's post |  #30

Yup.. Just a dumb move on canons part. they need to fix it on theb 5D3 as well.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

14,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX AF Point Illumination
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.