Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2012 (Friday) 03:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait/video lens recommendation

jonnie
77 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 24, 2012 03:36 |  #1

Hello all,

I'm starting to do a lot of people photography (large and small groups as well as individuals) for press releases so I'm looking to get something a bit more substantial than my 18-55 kit lens for my 550D.

I also do a lot of video work, so I'd like it to be suitable for that too - something that I can open up to about f2 for use in indoor situations with poor lighting.

I sometimes have to use my kit lens at the 18mm end for large group photos, so focal-length-wise I'd really be looking for something in the 18-100mm range.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Jonnie.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 24, 2012 03:44 |  #2

I saw some video shot with a 24LII the other day. It was amazing. Maybe out of your price range?

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

jonnie
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 24, 2012 04:08 as a reply to  @ lancebroad's post |  #3

Sorry I should've mentioned budget. I'll consider anything really, but I'd like the lens to be EF fitment as I'm also thinking about upgrading to a full frame body.

I'd also rather it wasn't prime, so I have the flexibility to alter shots without having to change lenses.

Thanks again.

Edit: Something like this would be perfect:

http://www.google.co.u​k …QWItYDoAQ&ved=0​CGgQ8wIwAQ (external link)

Except it's only f4 which isn't really good enough for indoor video shooting.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 24, 2012 04:12 |  #4

For a decent zoom, the 24-105 is about the best you will get. If you want quicker lenses then the option is only primes I am sorry unless you go a 24-70 f2.8

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

571 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait/video lens recommendation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.