Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 07 Jul 2004 (Wednesday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show me your camera bag

andrewopolis
586 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2012 09:43 |  #5281

agphotography wrote in post #14885378 (external link)
Can anyone recommend a small soft sided bag that would be sufficient for carrying a lens or two and perhaps other stuff like a memory card wallet or a few rolls of film? It doesn't even necessarily have to be a camera bag either ;)

I have the LowePro Outback 200, but so far I've only used the side tube attachments. You can attach them to your belt..

The tubes have a vertical strap that you run under your belt & then the bottom of the strap velcros onto the tube.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the tubes separately in different sizes too.

I found this to be a great solution when I only want to have my body that has a lens on it + an extra lens. I haven't done both tubes at once yet, no need.

RHChan84: "Damn it. If I didn't just put 3500 down on a wedding, I would of picked up a 7D."
bw!

sponsored links
2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 21, 2012 10:50 |  #5282

agphotography wrote in post #14885448 (external link)
Meh I had one and I didn't get along with it. I'm thinking more along the lines of a well worn Domke f6. Perhaps something military? (I've got plenty of bags for transport and photo shoots but sometimes when I'm just out walking / shooting I don't want to bring a lot. And I dont want a big bulky bag.

I bought a Maxpedition Colossus==a shoulder bag. I can pack a basic kit. d300s with 18-200VR, and an iPad. Room for a Glock if I had one. ;) It would fit even better if I had a wapiti strap on it! ;)

I fit the same gear (even with a grip attached) in my Billingham Hadley Digital. It really travels well; though it should come with a shoulder pad.

There are other brands such as 511 that are less expensive. A poster at dpreview packs her 9 mm and 4/3rds system

edit...Have a Billingham Hadley Pro too. It is an amazing bag. It will carry my d300s with either the 18-200VR or 70-300VR mounted, and the other lens along for the ride. Room left over. It cost me less here in Canada than a Think Tank Retro 10 costs! In a pinch it will carry the cama with grip attached. It is easily my favourite bag. Waterproof.

DaveL

Dave

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 21, 2012 13:19 as a reply to  @ post 14886480 |  #5283

I got bored this afternoon watching sleeping snow leopards after five hours (they didn't move much even after eight), so I took this:

Lowepro Pro Runner 450 AW and a Kinesis L311. Counter clockwise:

1Ds3 on an EF300L 2.8, EF70-200L II, two Pelican memory card cases with eight Sandisk Extreme pro 16GB compact flash cards, EF50L, EF85L II, EF16-35L II, three Tamrac filter pouches.

Taken on a 1DX with a 35L. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

andrewopolis
586 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2012 13:43 |  #5284

Ok Santa, you can put my toys back into the sack now.

RHChan84: "Damn it. If I didn't just put 3500 down on a wedding, I would of picked up a 7D."
bw!

meglet
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 21, 2012 22:36 |  #5285

agphotography wrote in post #14885378 (external link)
Can anyone recommend a small soft sided bag that would be sufficient for carrying a lens or two and perhaps other stuff like a memory card wallet or a few rolls of film? It doesn't even necessarily have to be a camera bag either ;)

I have a couple of canvas military surplus bags, inspired by the "stealth bag" thread floating around. You'd have to add an insert to them (I like the Camaroo inserts) but one of these might work.

Small, holds camera and one more lens, or just two lenses - note the front flap only closes about halfway, and it's held by the canvas strap - sometimes kind of annoying but could probably be solved with a few pieces of velcro:

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41o8JIHgszL._SX385_.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.amazon.com …CK8U2/ref=wms_o​hs_product  (external link)

This is the one I prefer, holds a camera and 1-2 more lenses, plus a few random bits:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Alternately, Amazon and Ebags both carry a lot of "Rothco" messenger bags in varying sizes, which is usually the preferred bag in the stealth messenger thread floating around the accessories forum. Or just hit up your local military surplus store.

(Note - pics above are clicky and will take you to the Amazon or Ebags page for each bag.)

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Macro Di II | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye

bobmatt
77 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 24, 2012 17:29 |  #5286

My new Lowpro Pro Runner 450 fully loaded.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

50D Gripped / 70-200 2.8L IS / 100-400 4-5.6L IS / EF1.4 EX / Sigma 17-70 2.8 OS / 50 1.8 II / 550EX /

peezie
42 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 24, 2012 18:22 |  #5287

agphotography wrote in post #14885448 (external link)
Meh I had one and I didn't get along with it. I'm thinking more along the lines of a well worn Domke f6. Perhaps something military? (I've got plenty of bags for transport and photo shoots but sometimes when I'm just out walking / shooting I don't want to bring a lot. And I dont want a big bulky bag.

How about a billingham? Particularly the Hadley small, Hadley pro or even the Hadley large. Ive got the hadley large just so i can fit a 13" MBP in it when ever i want. The hadley small might be tight to fit some of the bigger lenses though. I carry a 7D gripped, 20mm f2.8 and also a 50mm f1.8 in it easily with tons of room to spare. The front pockets are also very large for more things.

AlexMcCranor
219 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 24, 2012 18:30 as a reply to  @ peezie's post |  #5288

Hi guys looking for a messenger bag with space for a 5d3 iPad and walking around bits, note pad, drink and stuff.

I have full kit bags and muti lens bags so just need something I can walk around with everyday, that doesn't look to bad.

I already have a retrospective 20 and a crumpler sticky date, a few peli cases.

Thank you so much for ponting me in the right direction.

Alex

My Blog Alex McCranor Freelance Camera Operator & Editor (external link)
Creative Director at Workimage Commercial Business Video & Photography (external link)
Grimsby & Lincolnshire Wedding Video and Wedding Photography (external link)

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,532 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 24, 2012 19:34 |  #5289

AlexMcCranor wrote in post #14902761 (external link)
Hi guys looking for a messenger bag with space for a 5d3 iPad and walking around bits, note pad, drink and stuff.

I have full kit bags and muti lens bags so just need something I can walk around with everyday, that doesn't look to bad.

I already have a retrospective 20 and a crumpler sticky date, a few peli cases.

Thank you so much for ponting me in the right direction.

Alex

Retrospective 7?

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 24, 2012 19:42 |  #5290

I was just about to suggest that. It was literally built for precisely what you're looking for. I've got one myself and it's great when I want to bring my iPad. I still probably use my Retro 10 more often though as it is more broken in ;)

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 24, 2012 19:45 |  #5291

meglet wrote in post #14890006 (external link)
I have a couple of canvas military surplus bags, inspired by the "stealth bag" thread floating around. You'd have to add an insert to them (I like the Camaroo inserts) but one of these might work.

Small, holds camera and one more lens, or just two lenses - note the front flap only closes about halfway, and it's held by the canvas strap - sometimes kind of annoying but could probably be solved with a few pieces of velcro:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.amazon.com …CK8U2/ref=wms_o​hs_product  (external link)

This is the one I prefer, holds a camera and 1-2 more lenses, plus a few random bits:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Alternately, Amazon and Ebags both carry a lot of "Rothco" messenger bags in varying sizes, which is usually the preferred bag in the stealth messenger thread floating around the accessories forum. Or just hit up your local military surplus store.

(Note - pics above are clicky and will take you to the Amazon or Ebags page for each bag.)

That top one looks pretty nice actually. I just want something small that I can stuff a lens or two into and maybe some other bits and pieces. Honestly it doesn't even HAVE to hold my camera either. Maybe a spare film camera if I have it on me.

The objective is to find (or make) a bag that is suitable for just being out and about with my camera. It cannot be big or bulky and it doesn't need to hold a whole lot. If I'm not out on assignment or with a specific shooting location in mind I don't want to carry as much stuff as I normally would.

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 24, 2012 19:50 |  #5292

I find the Billingham "Hadley Pro" to be just the right size for a thin, walk-around, easily accessed, camera with 2 lenses bag.

I have tried a lot of bags over the years, and the Hadley Pro remains my favorite.

-howard

Morrisart
109 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 24, 2012 22:41 |  #5293

I just made a trip to Thailand, and used this bag. http://www.amazon.com …ds=tactical+mes​senger+bag (external link)

It was amazing. It's not heavy, fits the small two slot insert from ebay quite nicely. I able to carry a 60D, Tokina 11-16, and Even had my 70-200 f/4L in the Cup holder wrapped in thin foam. It also carried a satisying amount of touristy stuff, like bug spray, hand sanitizer, pass port, etc. I even carried a Samsung 7" tablet in the rear zipper pouch. Gotta say, for an on the go/EDC pack, I have zero complaints.

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2012 00:56 |  #5294

Does anyone with experience w/ the F-5XC would be able to fit?
- 5d2 + attached 24-70
- 70-200
- 580ex2

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

meglet
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 25, 2012 21:42 |  #5295

Not quite enough photos on this page, so here's a mediocre iPhone photo of the current state of my bag collection in the spare closet.

8 Timbuk2s, 5 Crumplers, and a couple stealth canvas messengers all hiding in here. Inserts are stacked on the shelf above the bags.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7860942804_d1121b8bfa_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …eghansgallery/7​860942804/  (external link)
238/365 - 30 Day "D" Challenge - Day 17 (external link) by Meghan (Rambling On. . .) (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Macro Di II | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye

sponsored links

4,538,525 views & 304 likes for this thread
Show me your camera bag
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.