Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend a light set for a white muslin backdrop

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 25, 2012 15:43 |  #16

Thanks everyone for the help. It has helped me very much.

As I currently have have 2 heads, I was thinking about getting 2 more heads since I can hook up to 4 heads. But not sure if it would be better to get 2 mono lights vs getting 2 more speedotron heads, which is another topic that I would need to analyze and compare both.

When I purchased my backdrop support it came with the white muslin. Plus I figured that it would last longer than paper, but never thought of the consequences of the background. I knew there were going to be wrinkles which have confidence on my ps skills but I would rather take more time on the model than on the background itself.

I'm currently in the process of getting a reflective sheet for the floor as the girl in bobbyz picture which if I remember correctly can be purchased at menards.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hopelessdfilms
169 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 27, 2012 12:04 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #17

Paper is very inexpensive and if taken care of can last a loooong time. I'm still using the same roll of white paper that I purchased back in 2008. I have no idea how many shoots its survived through but I think I'm safe to say at least 60-80. I'm just getting to the point where i've had to trim off enough paper that for a model any taller than 5'6 I do not have enough paper to roll out. I'd say that for 4 years and that many shoots, the 60$ was well worth the investment.

Regarding plexi for the floor, yes any home hardware store should sell some plexi for your needs. Ideally a 4'x8' sheet would be used as it not only gives you alot of reflection in a wider shot, but also covers much of the paper allowing it to be saved from damage. The drawback to this size of sheets is the sheer weight and cost.

If you can find a 3'x4' or something close to that size, go with the medium thickness, roughly 5/16 or a little thicker and you should be fine. The danger with going too thin is that a girl with some serious stilettos can easily crack the plexi.

Regarding lighting....

If you are to purchase monolights, I'd probably recommend going with the speedo monos, I forget what they called the line... I say this because the color temp of the bulbs and flashtubes should match that of the pack based system. If you purchase a different brand of mono you're likely to run into issues with blending the color temps of the two different brands of lights.

If you like the pack based system, just scoop up another pack and another couple of heads.

I do NOT recommend trying to run all 4 lights off of the one pack. It is doable, but trust me, its a huge pain.

Even with splitting the channels on the pack to differentiate which heads get more power, I can 99% promise you that you'll be put into a situation where you can't adjust the power enough + or - to get where you need to be and then you're forced to move your heads back or forward, which depending on your space and limitations with the head cables, may not even be possible.

If you're able to at the minimum split your background heads and the subject heads, you'll have many less headaches.

just my .02c

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2012 13:35 |  #18

Another alternative to plexi is white tile board. I found it a Home Depot but I expect its available at most any building supply. It comes in 4x8 sheets. The edges are relatively fragile (i.e. the will chip).

If you need a larger shooting area placing two side by side creates a 8x8 space. over lap the one nearest to the camera on the one farthest from the camera and when lit the seam tends to disappear.

Muslin has its place, mostly when traveling to locations where the roll of paper is a hassle. The you have to take care lighting it to minimize wrinkles.

Paper is far and away easier if you can find a way to transport it. If its your studio then paper for sure.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend a light set for a white muslin backdrop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.