Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 01:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

printed image is too large

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2012 01:06 |  #1

I've been using PS Elements 6 for about 2 years, and do all my editing and printing with it. I've had my Canon Pro9000MkII for about the same length of time and I've never seen anything like this.

I printed an image and it came out larger than I expected on the paper. I checked and rechecked and the printed image was larger than the onscreen image, by about 1/8" in each direction. It was just a test print so I blew it off. In the process of testing, I made two more prints of the same image, at a different size from the first. Of these two, one printed at the correct size and one was larger. There was more than an hour between the prints but neither PSE nor the printer was shut down during that time.

So I shut down PSE, restarted it and printed a different image. This one is also about 1/8" too large in both directions. (The aspect ratio stays correct.)

I print a lot and I've never seen this before. Has anyone else?
Thanks

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2012 03:33 |  #2

I have seen this, in fact the dimensions, for example 16 x 12", are normally only a "close aproximation", being slightly over rather than slightly under.

Thats on an Epson R2880 via Photoshop 7, so its not only a Canon or Elements issue. I have no idea why its the case and as I always use mounts it does not bother me anyway.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 25, 2012 06:37 |  #3

Never seen this happening on my R2880. If I print an image that's 26.67x40 cm, it gets printed at exact that size… Not a mm larger or smaller.

"Onscreen image" how are you comparing?
In PS the Zoom > print size is only as reliable as the screen resolution you've set in the preferences.

https://photography-on-the.net …ion+Photoshop#p​ost9652841

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2012 08:16 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #4

Rene,

Typically I crop to 405 mm x 305 mm and once printed it sits easily with my 400 mm x 300mm mount, more than the 2.5mm on each side I'd expect, its probably the extra 1/8" that ncjohn is finding.

As I said, this is not an issue for me, I'm used to it and its built into my workflow! But if you don't have the same issue thats very strange. I simply assumed it was normal.

Richard

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2012 09:30 |  #5

René Damkot wrote in post #14904541 (external link)
Never seen this happening on my R2880. If I print an image that's 26.67x40 cm, it gets printed at exact that size… Not a mm larger or smaller.

Historically, that's what I've always seen also. I print a lot of greeting cards with a precisely sized image, and they've always been right before.

"Onscreen image" how are you comparing?

I'm comparing the printed image with what I set in Image>Resize.

In PS the Zoom > print size is only as reliable as the screen resolution you've set in the preferences.

No, I found out about that long ago. Interesting thread, though; I've always wondered why that View>print size didn't work.:)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2012 09:32 |  #6

Lowner wrote in post #14904721 (external link)
Rene,

Typically I crop to 405 mm x 305 mm and once printed it sits easily with my 400 mm x 300mm mount, more than the 2.5mm on each side I'd expect, its probably the extra 1/8" that ncjohn is finding.

As I said, this is not an issue for me, I'm used to it and its built into my workflow! But if you don't have the same issue thats very strange. I simply assumed it was normal.

I guess if it's consistent and you're used to it, that's okay, but this is new and inconsistent, as I stated in my original post.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 25, 2012 10:40 |  #7

I assume it couldn't be something as simple as having "fit to paper size" or something similar checked or unchecked?

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2012 11:22 |  #8

stsva,

All I can tell you is not in my case. I don't "fit to paper size" as I use A3+ paper and theres a lot of white around the image!

Richard

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2012 11:23 |  #9

stsva wrote in post #14905115 (external link)
I assume it couldn't be something as simple as having "fit to paper size" or something similar checked or unchecked?

No, that's something I would never use because I'm picky about print images being the size I want them to be. Also, it would mean that I checked it 3 times and unchecked it once. I'm pretty sure I'd remember.;)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 25, 2012 11:46 |  #10

ncjohn wrote in post #14905229 (external link)
No, that's something I would never use because I'm picky about print images being the size I want them to be. Also, it would mean that I checked it 3 times and unchecked it once. I'm pretty sure I'd remember.;)

It's definitely a mystery. Good luck figuring out what's going on.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 25, 2012 14:37 |  #11

Are you using a preset or a printer setting that involves a full bleed page set up (i.e., borderless)? At least on Epson printers, there is a control for how the image gets slightly resized to make sure the image goes to the edge of the page (slightly larger than the page) for borderless prints, so that there is no paper strip at the edge of the print.

Maybe?

kirk

Kirk
---

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2012 21:28 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #12

Kirkt, I think you may have hit it. (I'm not absolutely sure, since it wasn't happening every time, but...)

Because I want to always have the image exactly the size I set it to, I always choose borderless printing with no "extension," even when I'm not printing to the edge of the paper. (That is, no amount of "overshoot" to prevent that white edge.) But, like Jerk Zuckerberg, the Canon printer driver sometimes changes settings without asking, and I've noticed lately that sometimes it really, really wants me to set some "extension" with the borderless choice; I often have to set it back to "no extension" when I'm making a print, even though I never chose to have extension in the first place. (In other words, it's changing the setting I chose for the amount of extension.)

I did a test, using the first image that had the size wrong. I sized the image to the same size it was set to at that time and printed it with no extension. It printed correctly. Then I added one "increment" of extension and the print came out a little larger. With two increments of extension, the image printed exactly the size it was when I first noticed the problem.

So I suspect that, when I made those prints that came out oversized, I didn't notice that some extension was set. Rather than spend more paper and ink on more tests, I'll just keep my eye on that extension setting and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 26, 2012 02:26 |  #13

That might explain your size increase, but it does not explain mine, as I never print borderless.

I don't because the ink bleed off the paper edge shortens the life of the printer. The ink "nappy" fills up and once full, the printer is a goner.

Richard

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 26, 2012 06:49 |  #14

Lowner wrote in post #14907564 (external link)
That might explain your size increase, but it does not explain mine, as I never print borderless.

You don't need to print borderless for it to happen (if I read previous posts correctly). What paper size did you set? Maybe some settings activate the "extension" setting?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 26, 2012 08:15 |  #15

Rene,

I use A3+ paper and crop the image to 305mm x 405mm before printing it. At least I do that when framing or puttting into a cellophane envelope with a mount in order to offer for sale. For display at home it can be anything my wife wants!

But the fact that I have fractionally more under the mount I see as a good thing, as long as its consistent (and it is) I can mentally adjust for it.

I'm hoping that this weekends Dorset Steam Rally sells at least one of my steam train images. Bank holidays do seem to be good for me in that direction.:)

Richard

sponsored links

2,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
printed image is too large
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.