Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer/hiker killed by Grizzly. Sad

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 25, 2012 21:51 |  #1

Poor guy; got too excited. stinks.

http://www.washingtonp​ost.com …4-99dee49d8d67_story.htm​l (external link)

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 25, 2012 22:23 |  #2

Looks like the guy was closer than the required distance to the bear. A very tragic tale especially when you consider they also shot the bear in question. All he was doing was living his/her life in the wild. Both human and animal were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 25, 2012 22:26 |  #3

From what I understand, they killed the bear because he ate the hiker, not just because he killed him. They don't want bears becoming human-eaters.

I wonder what set off the bear.

I would be far too afraid to get near one.

Thank you. bw!

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 25, 2012 22:30 |  #4

Though it is sad that he lost his life, I find it even more sad that a bear was killed so they could see if it was the one that killed the hiker. What if it wasn't? What then?

The hiker deliberately ignored the safety regulations to get close to an aggressive creature and they decide to kill the bear and for what? To keep it from attacking other people? They're going to have to kill all of them if they don't want to put people in danger.

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 25, 2012 22:31 |  #5

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14907106 (external link)
From what I understand, they killed the bear because he ate the hiker, not just because he killed him. They don't want bears becoming human-eaters.

But the bear would never have been a human eater if there were none around, or at least if humans followed park rules and not come within 50 yards of the bear.

I absolutely feel horrible for the guy. That's just tragic. But I also feel for the bear. Just overall a messed up thing.

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 25, 2012 22:37 |  #6

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14907106 (external link)

The bear wasn't set off, it's a bear and they eat whatever they want. If humans don't want to be eaten they should follow the rules.

Feedback

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 25, 2012 22:38 |  #7

Triple A wrote in post #14907121 (external link)
Though it is sad that he lost his life, I find it even more sad that a bear was killed so they could see if it was the one that killed the hiker. What if it wasn't? What then?

The hiker deliberately ignored the safety regulations to get close to an aggressive creature and they decide to kill the bear and for what? To keep it from attacking other people? They're going to have to kill all of them if they don't want to put people in danger.

Yes, this is all true, but truthfully.. how many photog -enthusiasts do you know that have never broken.. or at least bent rules to get shots? Ever climb over a fence, or slide a couple feet past a barricade, etc. to get a shot? I'm not disagreeing with you here.. it's a shame for both the guy and the bear. :confused:

Kel
Gear

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 25, 2012 22:46 |  #8

1Tanker wrote in post #14907145 (external link)
Yes, this is all true, but truthfully.. how many photog -enthusiasts do you know that have never broken.. or at least bent rules to get shots? Ever climb over a fence, or slide a couple feet past a barricade, etc. to get a shot? I'm not disagreeing with you here.. it's a shame for both the guy and the bear. :confused:

The rules I've broken to get a shot don't get me eaten by bears, lol.

But seriously, it's very unfortunate for the bear and the guy.

Feedback

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 25, 2012 23:06 |  #9

As an avid wildlife photographer there is one simple rule to follow: learn animal behavior. There is no good excuse to not take some time to learn them especially if your a photographer, it helps get you the good shots at the right time. But more importantly it lets you know what animals are territorial or when the animal is aggressive, irritated, or scared, which can be very dangerous.

In regards to bear safety, spray and a knife work wonders. I think too many disney movies tend to make people forget we are still a part of the food chain and there are still a few things that happen to outrank us.

It's a bummer he got eaten doing what he enjoyed. Unfortunately the bear has to be destroyed not because it has the taste of human but because without knowing what set the bear off. Overly aggressive bears need to be dealt with to protect the public, but if you look at other incidents they have only killed aggressive bears, not defensive mothers with their cubs who have also caused fatalities. But 50yds is entirely too close be to an apex predator without being on high alert or just plain high.

Adam - Upstate NY:

MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2012 23:16 |  #10

1Tanker wrote in post #14907145 (external link)

I'd value my life over a picture when it comes to wildlife that can turn me into their dinner. As unfortunate as the event was, he chose to take the risk and paid the price. Certain rules are "written in blood" and if they're ignored, then the reason the term "written in blood" was used becomes awfully clear.

Gear

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 25, 2012 23:36 |  #11

MrWho wrote in post #14907211 (external link)
I'd value my life over a picture when it comes to wildlife that can turn me into their dinner. As unfortunate as the event was, he chose to take the risk and paid the price. Certain rules are "written in blood" and if they're ignored, then the reason the term "written in blood" was used becomes awfully clear.

We all make bad decisions in our life (often when we know better). Most of us don't lose our lives' over them.. but many do.

If he had come away without any incidents, and with some amazing shots.. people would likely praise him, and be in awe of his great shots. I wouldn't suggest (or consider) owning a Python either, but many people do...some are lucky, and nothing bad ever happens; some get crushed to death.

Kel
Gear

MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2012 23:48 |  #12

1Tanker wrote in post #14907259 (external link)
We all make bad decisions in our life (often when we know better). Most of us don't lose our lives' over them.. but many do.

If he had come away without any incidents, and with some amazing shots.. people would likely praise him, and be in awe of his great shots. I wouldn't suggest (or consider) owning a Python either, but many people do...some are lucky, and nothing bad ever happens; some get crushed to death.

All I know is that a calculated risk where I have a good chance of coming out unharmed or winning is a good one to take. One that's never going to end well or is near impossible to come out unharmed of isn't wise to take unless there isn't any other choice. An image specifically is not something worth losing a life over. Other people have lenses that allow them to take images from a safe distance, they respect the rules and come home to share their images. It's unfortunate he lost his life, but he exercised poor judgement and entered the park's record books as a sad statistic.

Gear

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 26, 2012 08:35 as a reply to  @ MrWho's post |  #13

I worked with a man who tried too hard to get the "perfect" shot of a bison in Yellowstone and was gored by it... literally disemboweled. He spent nearly 2 weeks in critical condition and when I met him 15 years later he still had health issues stemming from the incident.

This is what telephoto lenses are for. If you can't afford one, or just aren't willing to drag one around with you, then don't plan on getting topnotch wildlife photos. Trying to get too close to wild animals just isn't a good idea.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 26, 2012 09:07 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #14

nicksan wrote in post #14907094 (external link)
...A very tragic tale especially when you consider they also shot the bear in question...

Triple A wrote in post #14907121 (external link)
Though it is sad that he lost his life, I find it even more sad that a bear was killed so they could see if it was the one that killed the hiker..

It is the attitude evidenced by these comments that I find tragic, indeed.

Tom

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 26, 2012 09:12 |  #15

this stuff happens, thankfully it doesn't happen often.

sponsored links

13,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer/hiker killed by Grizzly. Sad
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.