Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 13 Aug 2012 (Monday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

U2711 Now or wait for U2713?

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 26, 2012 00:31 |  #16

My initial choice was 24 inch IPS but then I realized the price of 27 inch dropped from 900 to 700, and it's only 200 bucks difference so I went with the 27 inch instead.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 26, 2012 11:36 |  #17

I am happy with my 2711

My Gear flickr (external link)

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2012 13:01 |  #18

hania wrote in post #14895550 (external link)
my U2711 on the way - will give a report once its all set up & running

Got it - love it - the monitor is partially backing on to a window and I got dreadful reflections with imac glossy screen - no problems now!.

I am not a monitor expert, and haven't calibrated it yet - so just an ordinary user but it will be fine for me.

It was just plug & play & migration from my imac to macpro worked faultlessly.

Gear List

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 26, 2012 15:59 |  #19

The U2711 is a wide gamut monitor and the U2713 is supposed to be standard gamut. Unless you require wide gamut (edit is aRGB for example) get the U2713 or another standard gamut IPS monitor instead.

If you calibrate to full gamut (I do) it creates lots of fun finding color managed applications so you don't have to keep flipping between a full gamut and emulated sRGB profile depending on what you are doing. The following may help anyone calibrating to full gamut on a wide gamut monitor:

If you like to watch videos, none of Microsoft's applications (Media Player or Media Center) are color managed. I use a freeware player called Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, which is color managed (after turning it on). Apple Quicktime is also color managed, but out of the box you can't set it to stay on top of open windows ... so I really can't stand it.

Firefox is color managed, but a flag has to be set for it to display untagged images correctly. You can either do this manually or install and add-on called "Color Management" and under options set "Enable color management for" All images. By the way, you'll have the same issue with the latest version of IE, Safari and Chrome. None "out of the box" can deal with wide gamut and untagged images.

If you use an sRGB image for your Windows desktop, change it to one that is aRGB.

Microsoft Office applications are supposed to be color managed, but if that's true Microsoft doesn't do a great job enabling it. Don't expect the images you paste into a word document to look like the same image opened in Photoshop.

For any site I visit that uses it, Adobe Flash Player is not color managed. For example, gallery full screen slideshows on Smugmug look horrible on a wide gamut monitor calibrated to full gamut.

If you don't ensure everything you use is color managed and you have your wide gamut monitor calibrated to full gamut then you'll see lots of issues with images looking over contrasty and over saturated, especially reds.

Alternatively if you never need wide gamut then just buy a standard gamut monitor and then you never have to worry about any of the above :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 27, 2012 02:42 |  #20

Bob_A wrote in post #14909604 (external link)
The U2711 is a wide gamut monitor and the U2713 is supposed to be standard gamut. Unless you require wide gamut (edit is aRGB for example) get the U2713 or another standard gamut IPS monitor instead.

If you calibrate to full gamut (I do) it creates lots of fun finding color managed applications so you don't have to keep flipping between a full gamut and emulated sRGB profile depending on what you are doing. The following may help anyone calibrating to full gamut on a wide gamut monitor:

If you like to watch videos, none of Microsoft's applications (Media Player or Media Center) are color managed. I use a freeware player called Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, which is color managed (after turning it on). Apple Quicktime is also color managed, but out of the box you can't set it to stay on top of open windows ... so I really can't stand it.

Firefox is color managed, but a flag has to be set for it to display untagged images correctly. You can either do this manually or install and add-on called "Color Management" and under options set "Enable color management for" All images. By the way, you'll have the same issue with the latest version of IE, Safari and Chrome. None "out of the box" can deal with wide gamut and untagged images.

If you use an sRGB image for your Windows desktop, change it to one that is aRGB.

Microsoft Office applications are supposed to be color managed, but if that's true Microsoft doesn't do a great job enabling it. Don't expect the images you paste into a word document to look like the same image opened in Photoshop.

For any site I visit that uses it, Adobe Flash Player is not color managed. For example, gallery full screen slideshows on Smugmug look horrible on a wide gamut monitor calibrated to full gamut.

If you don't ensure everything you use is color managed and you have your wide gamut monitor calibrated to full gamut then you'll see lots of issues with images looking over contrasty and over saturated, especially reds.

Alternatively if you never need wide gamut then just buy a standard gamut monitor and then you never have to worry about any of the above :)

That sounds a lot of work to me...

I dont understand though, why can't I just do everything in sRGB Preset mode for daily average use and then switch to wide gamut (Custom Preset) to do photo editing?

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 27, 2012 21:21 |  #21

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #14911535 (external link)
That sounds a lot of work to me...

I dont understand though, why can't I just do everything in sRGB Preset mode for daily average use and then switch to wide gamut (Custom Preset) to do photo editing?

You can. You can also have a different profile for everything you want to view. For me it's a pain in the butt flipping back and forth so I set things up so that in general it works for everything then only switch profiles when I absolutely have a need.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2012 21:10 |  #22

Bumping this up for some more opinions, am in the same predicament..

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 12, 2012 21:30 |  #23

They are geared for two different markets.

The U2713 is a lower end monitor. It's LED backlit which is an upgrade over the U2711, but as mentioned earlier the U2713 is standard gamut while the U2711 is wide gamut so arguably it's better if you do a lot of printing. The panel in the U2713 is lower end compared to the U2711. It's similar to what happened with the U2410 and U2412, they are both IPS based ultrasharps, but they really are two very different monitors.

If you color accuracy is really important to you then the U2711 is still the better route, if you want good colors but having a 27" monitor is really the main attraction than the U2713 is a better and cheaper option. Quite frankly if you still aren't sure which is better for you after reading some of these posts then the U2713 is probably just fine for you.

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

tupper
Tupperware Party Sheep
2,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2012 22:05 |  #24

*sigh* wrote in post #14983736 (external link)
They are geared for two different markets.

The U2713 is a lower end monitor. It's LED backlit which is an upgrade over the U2711, but as mentioned earlier the U2713 is standard gamut while the U2711 is wide gamut so arguably it's better if you do a lot of printing. The panel in the U2713 is lower end compared to the U2711. It's similar to what happened with the U2410 and U2412, they are both IPS based ultrasharps, but they really are two very different monitors.

If you color accuracy is really important to you then the U2711 is still the better route, if you want good colors but having a 27" monitor is really the main attraction than the U2713 is a better and cheaper option. Quite frankly if you still aren't sure which is better for you after reading some of these posts then the U2713 is probably just fine for you.

The only thing holding me back from the U2711 right now is that it's nearly two years old. Just don't want to jump in for their to be an upgraded model in the near future. How often do Dell update their models?

Ewan
SONY A7r
1N - 5D2 - 15 2.8 - 17-40L- 24LII - 50L - 85 1.8 - 70-200 2.8
O-MD - 20 1.7 - 50 1.8 - 135 3.5

ewantupper.com (external link) - facebook fanpage (external link) - twitter (external link) - 500px (external link)

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 13, 2012 01:51 |  #25

tupper wrote in post #14983852 (external link)
The only thing holding me back from the U2711 right now is that it's nearly two years old. Just don't want to jump in for their to be an upgraded model in the near future. How often do Dell update their models?

The ultrasharps... It's hard to say for sure.

The 30" was 4 years between the U3007 and the U3011, but I believe the 24" model was only 3, the U2407 and the U2410. The 27" is still in the first iteration, but at this point there really isn't another 27" panel to replace the one in the U2711, it's the same one being used by Apple and HP, so I think it still has some life left.

Prices have been quite low as of late too, you can pretty easily find the U2711 for $200 off at the moment.

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

tiredoffilm
256 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 23, 2012 14:26 as a reply to  @ *sigh*'s post |  #26

Bump again as I'm also trying to decide between these two.
I've read that the 2713 has some buzzing issues and diagonal noise on white areas have also been reported.
They're both pretty much the same price now in the UK at around £550 so the smart money would be on the higher spec 2711 right?

Rich

"I learn something old everyday"

DSLR has gone, Lumix M43 all the way for me now.

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2012 15:33 |  #27

tiredoffilm wrote in post #15280245 (external link)
Bump again as I'm also trying to decide between these two.
I've read that the 2713 has some buzzing issues and diagonal noise on white areas have also been reported.
They're both pretty much the same price now in the UK at around £550 so the smart money would be on the higher spec 2711 right?

Rich

I also looked into both of these monitor, and end up picking up the U2711. The resolution and color is amazing. My only complain about the U2711 is that it gets pretty hot which is normal. But a cooler running monitor would be nice.

tiredoffilm
256 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 23, 2012 17:17 |  #28

kouasupra wrote in post #15280442 (external link)
I also looked into both of these monitor, and end up picking up the U2711. The resolution and color is amazing. My only complain about the U2711 is that it gets pretty hot which is normal. But a cooler running monitor would be nice.

It's cold here right now so a bit of extra warmth would be quite pleasant.

I've just pressed the 'order' button on the 2711 from a well established Dell authorised ebay seller for £485 delivered. :)

"I learn something old everyday"

DSLR has gone, Lumix M43 all the way for me now.

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 03, 2012 08:04 as a reply to  @ tiredoffilm's post |  #29

I am leaning towards the 2713, it's supposed to be the same panel as the apple cinema display (imac) without the high gloss screen. I don't need the wide gaumet and honestly it sounds like a PIA with the color management of different applications. Costco had this monitor for 650 a few weeks ago, may still be on sale.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,378 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 03, 2012 23:33 |  #30

I just got my Dell 2713's from Costco today. Wow. The real estate upgrade over my 6 year old, 20" 1680x1050 screens is amazing. I think I'm going to get a Spyder4 next. My current calibrator is older than LED-backlit monitors and didn't too well when I tried it. Right out of the box and with the same settings on both monitors, one is slightly warmer than the other so I definitely want to get that straightened out. I think I'm also going to get an Ergorron dual arm so I can recover some space under the monitors.

sponsored links

13,899 views & 0 likes for this thread
U2711 Now or wait for U2713?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.