Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer/hiker killed by Grizzly. Sad

pmack
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 26, 2012 09:23 |  #16

RTPVid wrote in post #14908160 (external link)
It is the attitude evidenced by these comments that I find tragic, indeed.

Got to love the irony... but i hear ya none the less.
Must be vegitarians

Captured Abroad - Travel Photography Blog - Images from an overland journey (external link)
Captured Abroad - Facebook page - "like" for highlights from my blog (external link)

sponsored links
Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 26, 2012 09:56 |  #17

pmack wrote in post #14908216 (external link)
Must be vegitarians

I think it is more that they sympathize for the loss of two individuals, one of which was only doing what it does instinctively. It is unfortunate that a wild animal has to be killed because a hiker wasn't acting responsibly. Unfortunately there is a greater anthropocentric ideology than biocentric compassion when wildlife related incidents occur. For all we know the bear was startled by the photographer, or maybe just not a Nikon fan.

Adam - Upstate NY:

Tedder
389 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 26, 2012 12:18 |  #18

>>>"...He came within 50 yards of the bear, far closer than the quarter-mile of separation required by park rules...."

To abide by this rule, however, a hiker would have to know the location of all bears at all times in relation to himself.

In anything other than open country, a hiker can easily round a bend in the trail and come upon a bear that is less than 150 feet away. In fact, to even know that a bear is present you'd usually have to be CLOSER than that.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link)
Classical Beam Theory Revisited (external link)
Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 26, 2012 12:34 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Why they killed the Bear when this man could be acting irresponsibility in the first place. He is hiker and he probably couldn't have the focal length to capture the bear at a safe distance....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tedder
389 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 26, 2012 12:48 |  #20

Nature Nut wrote in post #14908335 (external link)
I think it is more that they sympathize for the loss of two individuals, one of which was only doing what it does instinctively. It is unfortunate that a wild animal has to be killed because a hiker wasn't acting responsibly. Unfortunately there is a greater anthropocentric ideology than biocentric compassion when wildlife related incidents occur. For all we know the bear was startled by the photographer, or maybe just not a Nikon fan.

Thankfully, my ideology is not anthropocentric and my compassion is not biocentric. I sympathize with the man, with the bear, and also with the grub that the bear had just eaten before it killed the man.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link)
Classical Beam Theory Revisited (external link)
Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 26, 2012 12:49 |  #21

Tedder wrote in post #14908873 (external link)
>>>"...He came within 50 yards of the bear, far closer than the quarter-mile of separation required by park rules...."

To abide by this rule, however, a hiker would have to know the location of all bears at all times in relation to himself.

In anything other than open country, a hiker can easily round a bend in the trail and come upon a bear that is less than 150 feet away. In fact, to even know that a bear is present you'd usually have to be CLOSER than that.

The rules are for approaching wildlife, but in many cases like you said, people encounter bears around bends or thick forests at close distances. Regardless of the distance the person should have been carrying some sort of suitable protection they know how to use. There's no safety net, especially in the larger parks.

Adam - Upstate NY:

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 26, 2012 12:53 |  #22

Tedder wrote in post #14908959 (external link)
Thankfully, my ideology is not anthropocentric and my compassion is not biocentric. I sympathize with the man, with the bear, and also with the grub that the bear had just eaten before it killed the man.

Thats biocentric in a nutshell ;) It ascertains the equal right of human life and non-human life forms to co-exist based on ecological value. But I get what you mean. :)

Adam - Upstate NY:

pssc
94 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 26, 2012 13:54 as a reply to  @ Nature Nut's post |  #23

We do not have all the facts. Either this person knew the bear was there and approached to within 50 yards, which is a recipe for disaster-- or he came across the bear and then decided to hang around for 8 minutes taking pictures. Either way, he made a fatal mistake. If he came upon the bear, he should have done his best to leave. When will people learn it isn't Disneyland out there. The only rule I know of is that wildlife is wild, dangerous and unpredictable. As a kid when I first started spending time in the great outdoors, I read everything and spoke to "experts." What I learned as I was in the woods, was that most of the experts and their info was wrong. Many so called bear experts have become part of the food chain, not with standing that they claim to know bear behavior etc. I have heard "experts" claim a bear will only attack when threatened. However, it is only the bear who will decide where that line in the sand is located. I do carry protection when in the woods or bush. But, one must practice and be prepared to use protection. A grizzly can move very fast. I have hunted and hiked and photographed critters for years and am willing to state that most people would not be able to deploy their protection quick enough in most cases. Hence, distance is always your friend if possible.
Here is an update:
http://www.adn.com …d-by-grizzly-bear-in.html (external link)

Cheers, Steve
PS: another "expert and his pepper spray" http://seattletimes.nw​source.com …ld/2001826694_b​ear31.html (external link)

1dm4, 5Dm2, and a bunch of other stuff.
www.sscphoto.zenfolio.​com (external link)

MikeFairbanks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 26, 2012 14:09 |  #24

Don't mess with the wildlife.

My dad picks these things up. I'm sure the bird thought, "They told me not to get too close, but I didn't listen. No dropped french fry is worth this."

My dad let it go a couple seconds later.

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/i-rx66sQg/0/M/i-rx66sQg-M.jpg

Thank you. bw!

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2012 14:21 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #25

This is why I like shooting hummingbirds... not much chance of being eaten.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 26, 2012 17:31 |  #26

Not sure any of you have ever hiked in Bear Country. My wife and I hiked extensively in Alaska and Glacier National Park where Bears run wild:-) The first rule is to make noise, so the bear knows you are coming. That works most of the time but NOT always.

This hiker might have done everything right and still he ran into a death trap. I wonder how many of us would not have stopped to take a few pictures, even though we were too close, esp. if the bear did not act aggressive at all. Bears can and will attack without any warning - most of the time these attacks are fake and they will stop right in front of you just to show you they could kill you if they wanted to.

The one cardinal mistake this guy made was not to be ready with bear spray for the attack.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 26, 2012 18:43 |  #27

RTPVid wrote in post #14908160 (external link)
It is the attitude evidenced by these comments that I find tragic, indeed.

pmack wrote in post #14908216 (external link)
Must be vegitarians

Listen. I don't proclaim to be Mr. Animal Rights activist. I own two cats as pets. I love a good piece of steak, friend chicken, fish, etc. Most definitely not a vegetarian.

What I find tragic from you two is that you don't see the tragedy in the bear getting killed. Never have I discounted the human life that was lost. I said that was tragic. That goes without saying. Regardless of whether this man was disregarding the rules or not, none of us want to see someone die taking a photo of a bear.

But the fact remains, the bear was in its domain, minding his/ber business. In other words, just doing what it does. Enter human. Result = tragedy. Human life lost. Bear shot.

Just a f*cked up story that's all.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 26, 2012 19:00 |  #28

5Dmaniac wrote in post #14909901 (external link)
I wonder how many of us would not have stopped to take a few pictures, even though we were too close, esp.

The one cardinal mistake this guy made was not to be ready with bear spray for the attack.

I think any nature enthusiast would. I have in many encounters taken photos or lingered nearby depends on whether I was hiking with or without my camera. The difference is being alert, educated, and prepared. As we have found out, this hiker was evidently none of the above. When I visited Yellowstone earlier this year people stood in front of a Black bear about 30 yds away heading their way with cubs so they could get a nice photograph. I call it natural selection in progress.

Adam - Upstate NY:

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 26, 2012 22:11 as a reply to  @ Nature Nut's post |  #29

nicksan wrote in post #14907094 (external link)
Looks like the guy was closer than the required distance to the bear. A very tragic tale especially when you consider they also shot the bear in question. All he was doing was living his/her life in the wild. Both human and animal were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

nicksan wrote in post #14910143 (external link)
What I find tragic from you two is that you don't see the tragedy in the bear getting killed.

Where could you possibly get that from what I posted?

nicksan wrote in post #14910143 (external link)
Never have I discounted the human life that was lost.

Yes, you did.

nicksan wrote in post #14907094 (external link)
...A very tragic tale especially when you consider they also shot the bear in question.

Tom

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2012 00:40 |  #30

"Especially" because two lives were lost, tragic tale because of the one. Get off your high horse.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

13,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer/hiker killed by Grizzly. Sad
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.