Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Aug 2012 (Friday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 27, 2012 01:28 |  #16

Luckless wrote in post #14910773 (external link)
Pass. I would much rather use a dump pouch design. You know, a design that has been used on and off for centuries and is well proven.

With a dump pouch, I stuff the lens into the opening and let go, it is as fast, if not faster, than this design, with the added benefit of not being able to screw up. I don't have to align anything, just stuff it though a hole where gravity takes over and the pouch catches it. include a quick drawstring to secure it so nothing can fall out if I have to bend over.

With this 'quickdraw' system, I foresee lots of fumbling and potential for dropped glass. With a pouch, if I'm in a hurry and fumble it while trying to stuff a lens in, then chances are good that if I drop it it will continue to fall into the pouch... With this belt system if I fumble and drop it, there is nothing to catch it.

What dump pouch do you use?

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 27, 2012 04:54 |  #17

I have a number of different pouches from think tank and lowepro. I find none easy to get a lens in and out of but I am not practiced at it I admit.

This looks interesting and I backed it.

If I don't like it, big deal. I've wasted money on other things, including the capture clip I thought was terrible, but had no trouble reselling.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 27, 2012 04:55 |  #18

As for pouches being used on and off for centuries, everything was new once and had to start somewhere.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 27, 2012 09:01 |  #19

Haven't used dump pouches in photography yet (mostly because I don't really swap lenses much in the first place. But likely will go for a good belt and suspender system after I get another good prime. I'm generally either working on something that is purely my 70-200f/4L, or the 28mm prime, not jumping between them.)

However, I have used dump pouches for a number of things in other fields, and one of my favourites has been the basic lobster trap style for small items. But for photography I would want a style with a lid held by shock cord or something in a way that you could push it aside with your hand and the cord would then pullit down the side of the pouch out of your way, then you would just lift it up again and it would snap back over the opening.

"Hold Open" ribs would also be a must I think.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

cdo221
560 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 27, 2012 12:18 |  #20

hmm... thanks for bringing this up OP! I think I might pledge for 1 (maybe 2). There are plenty of drawbacks that other people have brought up already but it really looks like an interesting design. My biggest concern is damage to the lens - somebody running into me, me running into an object, or I kneel too low with a long lens, or my favorite - dog licks/scratches the lens.

Anyway - even with all these drawbacks I think it's worth it to get at least 1 unit for less than a hundred bucks. It looks thin enough to slip into any bag and can easily act as your third hand when you're switching lenses in the field. Leave it in "State 1" - uncap lens #2 from your bag, attach lens to Quikdraw. Remove lens #1 from camera, cap and place it in the bag. Take lens #2 from Quikdraw, put on camera. This really seems to reduce the risk of dropping a cap or even a lens into the ocean/lake/or where ever you're shooting.

I have a question about Kickstarter though - never backed anything before. If the funding doesn't reach the goal, will nobody get their stuff? And the money just gets refunded?

Feedback and Gear

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 27, 2012 12:36 |  #21

With Kickstarter you don't even get billed till the thing ends, and then only if it has reached or exceeded the goal.

So, just be VERY careful with how much you are pledging, and to how many projects. Old classmate (who is terrible with money, we've often joked about finding a legal loop hole for one of us to take over legal responsibility for his money) got 'hit' with a 'surprise' $4000 credit card bill from Kickstarter a few months ago. Be warned, $50 here, $75 there, adds up rather quickly.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2012 14:56 |  #22

There's a new video up. Interesting........

https://vimeo.com/4827​3601 (external link)

<insert gear here>

DavidR
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2012 15:49 as a reply to  @ Ming-Tzu's post |  #23

Looks secure enough on the trampoline. :grin:

Sony a9II

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 28, 2012 02:00 |  #24

a bouncing trampoline is a good test, but not an excellent test. An excellent test would be having someone run through a trail (just like the capture clip) and then demoing the ruggedness of the product.

definitely not sold on the idea and at the price point.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2012 02:43 |  #25

Seems like an absurd amount of money for what it does at $80 a pop. The designer is too greedy.
I thought it was $80 for 3. Will pass on this one.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 28, 2012 08:05 |  #26

c2thew wrote in post #14916320 (external link)
a bouncing trampoline is a good test, but not an excellent test. An excellent test would be having someone run through a trail (just like the capture clip) and then demoing the ruggedness of the product.

definitely not sold on the idea and at the price point.

I don't think many people would be running through trails as I don't think that was their intentions. If you're hiking, you'll put the lens in your hiking bag and you wouldn't be swapping lens while hiking. You also would want to limit what you have on your so its easier to navigate trails and forests. Capture Clip seems to be geared towards adventurers. Whether you're running or jumping, you're still bouncing up and down.

People are more worried about the lens coming loose and falling from premature twists of the lens. I think their market aim is probably for photographers who switch lenses a lot such as wedding photogs or at events.

A real test since it turns is to twist the hips side to side or with a hula-hoop ;)

Lifeinpictures wrote in post #14916387 (external link)
Seems like an absurd amount of money for what it does at $80 a pop. The designer is too greedy.
I thought it was $80 for 3. Will pass on this one.

Don't forget, these people are not big name companies. Money is required for R&D (making prototypes) and actual production costs. Majority of costs goes to sourcing materials, making molds, assembling them and finding a company that will do all this.

The more that is made, the lesser the cost of production. $80 for 3? I do agree that $80 is pricey but at $27 a pop isn't realistic. Maybe $40-50 if it was made by 3rd party that has the finances to produce these in mass quantity and have a contract already with a manufacturer.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS R5 or R6 | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: EF 24-70L II | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller | BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

hyogen
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 28, 2012 08:26 |  #27

My Lowepro Slingshot bag is my lens belt. Just perfect design.

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R, 24mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2012 09:11 |  #28

TijmenDal wrote in post #14911331 (external link)
1: Lenses are sturdy. Really sturdy. Don't bang your lenses into a table in the first place
2: Why would you switch from Canon? D'uh...
3: This is MUCH faster than anything out there
4: Use lens hoods

And to answer other question about locking the lenses:
you can only put it in or out if the ring is completely up. If it's hanging down, the lens can't get off.

1) Sure, but what about your resale value if your lenses looks like crap from all the scratches? A pro might not care but a lot of hobby shooters will. Also, this design requires that a) it doesn't fail (look at any of the solutions like dual straps, cotton carrier and holsters all have history of failures at the beginning) b) you weren't trying so hard to be fast you didn't secure your lens before letting go.

2) Because I am not so stupid as to think that Canon will always meet my needs?

3) No one's used this how the hell do you know? For all you know it sucks.

4) We are talking about people who are anal. Plus ever try to get low to the ground with a 70-200 on your belt? Do you want that lens hood on forward as well? Maybe not.

Seems to me you want to find good points about this and simply wrote stuff towards that means. Personally, I am going to wait and see what the reviews are and whether there will be design issues that cause people to drop thousands in lenses.

But if you are so gunho sure.. be the early adopters we look forward to your reviews.

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2012 09:16 |  #29

I have a question about Kickstarter itself. This is the first item I've ever backed.

Assume it gets funded. Does Kickstarter turn over $100,000 to the inventor?

If so, what guarantees he/she doesn't just take the money and run?

I'm not saying that's going to happen, but just wondering if there's protections against it.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 28, 2012 09:50 |  #30

As far as I'm aware there isn't much in the way of protection from kickstarter itself, and it would fall back to a criminal or civil fraud case if they flaked. Kickstarter is merely a platform where small independent creative types can stand up and ask for investment.

Remember, it is an investment platform, and with investment comes risk. It is entirely possible for someone to flake off and fail on their project. Kickstarter doesn't even actually research the claims being made by the people to gauge their abilities to complete the project, it is up to them to convince their investors that they can pull it off. (I believe they will pull overly outlandish things, like unlimited energy machines and the like, and investigate more extreme claims and projects, but otherwise they are just a soap box.)

sponsored links

8,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.