Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Aug 2012 (Saturday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer/hiker killed by Grizzly. Sad

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2012 13:12 |  #46

LV Moose wrote in post #14913145 (external link)
Anyone remember Treadwell, who got eaten by a bear back in '03? ( http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Timothy_Treadwe​ll (external link) ) By his own stupid actions, disregard for his own safety, disregard for park rules, etc, he got killed. He deserved what he got, in my opinion. Unfortunately, his girlfriend died horribly as well. Two bears also had to die because of him, who he admitted loving more than humans. Ironic.

Anyway, this current hiker made a bonehead mistake, but didn't deserve to die the way he did. It's a shame the bear had to be killed as well. Value of each? Personally I'd rate the hiker's life above the bear's, but that's just me, and I love wildlife. Treadwell?... meh.

Well stated...

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2012 15:16 as a reply to  @ post 14913360 |  #47

As mentioned... whenever entering wilderness, you have to be prepared for the absolute worse including bear attack. Especially in Denali. Education, preparedness are essential. The details on this are still sketchy.Were multiple bears involved? (rangers stated multiple bears were in the area, but at the time of mauling?) Did the hiker round a corner and suddenly spot a bear fifty yards away? I know from experience it's possible. I visited the Grand Tetons recently and while rounding a corner driving up Signal Mountain I suddenly encountered a black bear 20 yards in front of my vehicle.

People that love the outdoors, wildlife and photography... DON'T like hearing this kind of story since it could have been themselves. I'm interested to hear more details about this event and learn from it.

PS. are sidearms permissible in National Parks?

DavidR
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 27, 2012 15:59 as a reply to  @ tmwag's post |  #48

Yes :smile:

Sony a9II

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 27, 2012 16:08 |  #49

tmwag wrote in post #14913862 (external link)
As mentioned... whenever entering wilderness, you have to be prepared for the absolute worse including bear attack. Especially in Denali. Education, preparedness are essential. The details on this are still sketchy.Were multiple bears involved? (rangers stated multiple bears were in the area, but at the time of mauling?) Did the hiker round a corner and suddenly spot a bear fifty yards away? I know from experience it's possible. I visited the Grand Tetons recently and while rounding a corner driving up Signal Mountain I suddenly encountered a black bear 20 yards in front of my vehicle.

People that love the outdoors, wildlife and photography... DON'T like hearing this kind of story since it could have been themselves. I'm interested to hear more details about this event and learn from it.

The report (or the one I read on CNN) said that he photographed the bear for 8 minutes before the bear noticed him. It never said how far away he was. I mean, I am assuming he wasn't using a macro lens to photograph this thing so I bet he thought he was safe.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

BobOh
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 27, 2012 16:13 |  #50

pssc wrote in post #14909171 (external link)
But, one must practice and be prepared to use protection. A grizzly can move very fast. I have hunted and hiked and photographed critters for years and am willing to state that most people would not be able to deploy their protection quick enough in most cases. Hence, distance is always your friend if possible.

Indeed. I was reading the bear protection stuff on the Yellowstone N.P. website. They advise practicing quick draws of inert pepper spray from its holster and practice firing. They advise how to fire for best effect. They also say that a bear can run 50 yards in a couple seconds, hence the need to know your weapon and how to use it.

Regards,
Bob
Gear: 40D, 7D, EF 100-400L, EF 28-135, Speedlight 580EX and other stuff.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bobbolew/ (external link)

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 27, 2012 16:27 |  #51

benji25 wrote in post #14914112 (external link)
The report (or the one I read on CNN) said that he photographed the bear for 8 minutes before the bear noticed him. It never said how far away he was. I mean, I am assuming he wasn't using a macro lens to photograph this thing so I bet he thought he was safe.

If I remember right 50yds away was what they had estimated based on the photos. That's just over them minimum they recommend to effectively deploy bear spray.

Adam - Upstate NY:

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 27, 2012 16:30 |  #52

moose10101 wrote in post #14912386 (external link)
I don't think the bear's life is equal to the man's, BUT: the bear was in his habitat, doing what bears do. The man wasn't, and he made a conscious choice to stay close and take photos. He chose poorly, and paid the price.

The bear paid the price, not for its actions, but also for the man's poor decision. Excuse me if I have less sympathy for someone who does something incredibly stupid and dangerous that causes the death of an animal.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I find it amazing that some feel I rate the bear's life higher than the hiker's. I don't. I was simply expressing regret that they also had to kill the bear. As explained by another member, I understand why they had to kill the bear. Just a very sad tale, that's all...

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2012 16:32 |  #53

BobOh wrote in post #14914125 (external link)
Indeed. I was reading the bear protection stuff on the Yellowstone N.P. website. They advise practicing quick draws of inert pepper spray from its holster and practice firing. They advise how to fire for best effect. They also say that a bear can run 50 yards in a couple seconds, hence the need to know your weapon and how to use it.

They also advise to play dead in the event a physical encounter occurs. To fight a Grizzly with a knife is mis information. You will only make them more angry.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 27, 2012 16:32 |  #54

BobOh wrote in post #14914125 (external link)

Wow, that's pretty scary. Maybe we'll never know what really happened. A few seconds to use your weapon? I probably would have panicked. They look so cuddly but in the wild, they aren't to be messed with.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 27, 2012 16:33 |  #55

tmwag wrote in post #14914198 (external link)
They also advise to play dead in the event a physical encounter occurs. To fight a Grzzely with a knife is mis information. You will only make them more angry.

Does that actually work?

tmwag
2,641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2012 16:40 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #56

Well, experienced Yellowstone rangers recommend it

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 27, 2012 16:44 |  #57

nicksan wrote in post #14914201 (external link)
Does that actually work?

It gives you a better chance of survival than running or fighting a grizzly. You might still get mauled, thrown through the air and bitten - during all of this you are not supposed to move or make any sound. Even after the attack you need to play dead for a long time because the bear will watch you and any sign of life will cause the bear to attack again.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 27, 2012 16:48 |  #58

5Dmaniac wrote in post #14914247 (external link)
It gives you a better chance of survival than running or fighting a grizzly. You might still get mauled, thrown through the air and bitten - during all of this you are not supposed to move or make any sound. Even after the attack you need to play dead for a long time because the bear will watch you and any sign of life will cause the bear to attack again.

In other words, a LOT harder than it initially sounded...a choice between definitely dying vs. probably dying. I think my first instinct would be to run...unfortunately...

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 27, 2012 16:48 |  #59

nicksan wrote in post #14914186 (external link)
...I find it amazing that some feel I rate the bear's life higher than the hiker's.....

That would be because that is what you wrote. Maybe you didn't mean what you wrote, but it is what you wrote.

"Especially" means "in particular", or "particularly".

Here is your original statement, with the word "especially" replaced by its meaning:

"A very tragic tale in particular when you consider they also shot the bear."

In other words, was was not especially tragic until they shot the bear.

Maybe that is not what you meant it to mean, but it is what you wrote.

Tom

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 27, 2012 16:49 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #60

well, the couple that went camping, and was sleeping when a bear mauled/killed and ate them. Not sure playing dead would be the key. The key is to stay away and follow the guidelines .

My Gear: Do you really want to know?

sponsored links

13,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer/hiker killed by Grizzly. Sad
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.