Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Aug 2012 (Friday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2012 10:01 |  #31

That's helpful. But I wonder if it works anything like if your house burns down, the insurance company doesn't just hand over all the money. You have to meet certain milestones in rebuilding and you get the money in bits and pieces.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a track record published anywhere on the projects that have been funded and then taken to fruition and actually gone to the backers, etc.

My inquiry is more curiousity than anything else. I've put my backing on my Amex card, and Amex backs the card user seemingly no matter what. We shall see.

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2012 10:03 |  #32

Oh, and to the inventor, and I say this respectfully, that's a hot babe on the trampoline and in the other videos.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 28, 2012 10:57 |  #33

As far as I can see (just poked at creating a project and took a closer look at the FAQs) it is an all-or-nothing funding system, with no mention of milestones or anything like that. It is up the the community to decide if they have faith in the developer to do what they claim they will.

Possibly a reason why the smaller arts projects looking for less than a few thousand dollars are the most commonly funded ones up there. I'm actually starting to think maybe I might put the research into setting things up and rolling the dice to produce/presell a small book on roller derby or paintball. (Basically a quiet excuse to fund better camera gear for myself. Skirting the guidelines in a way, but it isn't like they say you can't profit from your projects.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 28, 2012 11:10 |  #34

MDJAK wrote in post #14917232 (external link)
I have a question about Kickstarter itself. This is the first item I've ever backed.

Assume it gets funded. Does Kickstarter turn over $100,000 to the inventor?

If so, what guarantees he/she doesn't just take the money and run?

I'm not saying that's going to happen, but just wondering if there's protections against it.

Im sure your concern can be answered at Kickstarters FAQ page

http://www.kickstarter​.com/help/faq/backers#​Pled (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 28, 2012 11:20 |  #35

I would like to see a video of someone without girly hips using it.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 28, 2012 12:09 |  #36

MDJAK wrote in post #14917414 (external link)
Oh, and to the inventor, and I say this respectfully, that's a hot babe on the trampoline and in the other videos.

hahahaha that's actually the FIRST thing I thought when I was watching the videos. That girl running up the stairs in that one video was CUTE!

<insert gear here>

cdo221
560 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 28, 2012 14:02 |  #37

Lifeinpictures wrote in post #14916387 (external link)
Seems like an absurd amount of money for what it does at $80 a pop. The designer is too greedy.
I thought it was $80 for 3. Will pass on this one.

$80 each is a bit expensive but I don't think the pricing is out of line. Regular belt systems can cost around $20-40 per pouch for Lowepro or Think Tank, depending on the size. These Quikdraws are supposedly made from "aircraft aluminum and high strength precision molded plastic". I'm thinking the material costs of these guys will be significantly higher than making a nylon lens pouch w/ a zipper.

Also, there are the R&D costs and economics of scale working for Lowepro and other big companies. Higher throughput/production leads to lower manufacturing costs, generally speaking - something this new company doesn't have the advantage of right now.

Consider this - a BR strap nowadays cost around $50-60 for a new one while the stock strap or a nice Op/Tech padded strap is around $10-$30. We are still paying double for the newer designs for straps even though it's been around for a few years.

As for the point about being secure (another poster mentioned the problems Black Rapid, Cotton Carrier, etc. have), I too, have been wondering about the locking mechanism and just sent a message to the creator asking about it. However, I think the key difference here is that it's utilizing something that is built in by the manufacturer (in this case Nikon/Canon) to secure the lens. With BR and Cotton Carriers, they utilize the tripod mount which can easily be loosened unintentionally. If the mechanism of attachment is similar to attaching a lens to the camera, it should be pretty secure - assuming the plastic and aluminum is of high quality.

However.. still I have my doubts. Have not pledged yet but really on the fence about it.

Feedback and Gear

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 28, 2012 20:13 |  #38

cdo221 wrote in post #14918296 (external link)
$80 each is a bit expensive but I don't think the pricing is out of line. Regular belt systems can cost around $20-40 per pouch for Lowepro or Think Tank, depending on the size. These Quikdraws are supposedly made from "aircraft aluminum and high strength precision molded plastic". I'm thinking the material costs of these guys will be significantly higher than making a nylon lens pouch w/ a zipper.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the aluminum portion of the Quikdraw, but just for reference, a 1" thick x 4" wide x 12" long block of 7075 aluminum costs $86.99 at McMaster-Carr. ("Aircraft" aluminum can describe many different alloys but often refers to 7075.) Now certainly there eventually could be economies of scale that would lower the raw material costs, but even if you could fabricate 3 units out of that block, that is still nearly $30 a pop before you even get to machining costs and the molded plastic.

Why do people think that things like L-brackets milled from solid blocks of aluminum cost as much as the do? The raw materials are quite expensive.

Blane
Gear List

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2012 21:13 |  #39

I guess I might have been a little out of line. Wish it was cheaper so I could buy one and not feel the pinch if I did not like it.
I do have the TT change up and a number of their pouches that work well, so the incentive to buy a $80 alternative is low. I do agree that it might be faster because you do not need to fuss about a lens body cap.

kingdavidd
217 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2012 00:07 |  #40

anyone notice that the canon mounts are either sold out or has more pledges :D

this is a Canon forum afterall.. LOL

7D | EF 24-105L f4 | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 | Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 | 270 EX | Slik Sprint Pro ii | Gitzo GT1541 with Manfrotto Head 496rc2
wish list: 70-200 f2.8 IS ii

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 29, 2012 07:43 |  #41

kingdavidd wrote in post #14920418 (external link)
anyone notice that the canon mounts are either sold out or has more pledges :D

this is a Canon forum afterall.. LOL

One of two possible reasons:

Nikon peeps are cheap and/or stupid ;)

Canon peeps are free spenders and/or stupid. ;)

I'm both. :lol: A free spender and stupid.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 31, 2012 19:53 |  #42

16 days to go and it's over 95,000. Only 5,000 to go. Looks like it will fund. I look forward to receiving it.

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,161 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 31, 2012 20:03 |  #43

iazybandit wrote in post #14917001 (external link)
I don't think many people would be running through trails as I don't think that was their intentions. If you're hiking, you'll put the lens in your hiking bag and you wouldn't be swapping lens while hiking. You also would want to limit what you have on your so its easier to navigate trails and forests. Capture Clip seems to be geared towards adventurers. Whether you're running or jumping, you're still bouncing up and down.

People are more worried about the lens coming loose and falling from premature twists of the lens. I think their market aim is probably for photographers who switch lenses a lot such as wedding photogs or at events.

hiking people dont switch Lenses? That's when I would want it... That, and weddings. :D
I'd probably back it, but I don't have the money handy. :(

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 31, 2012 20:52 |  #44

Seems overpriced, also every single belt for photography i've used is completely incompatible with that product.

These were all nicely padded, thick, and non-removable front buckles, none of em would fit. Also, i carry more then just lenses to a shoot, WB, extra batteries, flash, syncs, etc. A pouch system is far more adaptable.

Its a neat idea, no idea where in hell the 80$ comes from, i was expecting a 40$ tag. And since this is all about easily switching lenses Fast, i'm guessing its for event/wedding togs who have a high chance to bump into something or another at some point, the lenses are all naked and will get dings and scratches, cutting back on funds if sold used.

Just some of the considerations that went through my head when looking at this system.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 01, 2012 06:16 |  #45

Really Case? Because you measured the slots behind this product and know for a fact that EVERY belt system is incompatible? Wrong. Flat out wrong.

I have a narrow thinktank belt I guarantee will slip right through this. My spyder holster belt which I affix lowepro and thinktank pouches to will slip right through this product.

And when I get it I will take pics and prove it.

Oh, and I take my car to a shoot but I don't expect to put it on my belt system. ;)

sponsored links

8,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kickstarter Campaign: Quikdraw
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.