Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 10:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What options do I have for GPS tagging with my 5D Mark II?

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 28, 2012 10:27 |  #1

Hi guys,

I do quite a bit of travelling, and I love being able to geotag with my S100, however, my main travel photography tool is the 5D Mark II.

I'd like to have something that would allow me to geotag with that camera...I know of only one such tool, the WFT-E4, which is expensive, bulky and has a bunch of features I really don't need.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks,
Tamas

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Aug 28, 2012 10:57 |  #2

You can use a few different apps for Apple and Android based phones. Or, I remember seeing a device that fits on the hotshoe (I think it's called Jobo PhotoGPS). I never used one, so I can't really comment on how well it works.

Edit: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …01_photoGPS_Hot​_Shoe.html (external link)

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 28, 2012 11:01 |  #3

vince_ross wrote in post #14917578 (external link)
You can use a few different apps for Apple and Android based phones. Or, I remember seeing a device that fits on the hotshoe (I think it's called Jobo PhotoGPS). I never used one, so I can't really comment on how well it works.

Edit: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …01_photoGPS_Hot​_Shoe.html (external link)

I don't have a smartphone, nor do I intend to get one before returning to Canada in no less than 18 months, so that's not an option, but thanks for the suggestion!

Also...HUGE thanks for that link...that looks absolutely perfect!! That's exactly what I had in mind, I wish I had it for my month-long Euro trip that I just concluded...

Does anyone have any experience with that device? Or anything similar which you'd like to suggest?

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 28, 2012 11:14 |  #4

Does this work with the 5D2? Am I to understand that this writes the location data DIRECTLY onto the EXIF? If so, that's a lot more convenient than the Jobo's setup where you have to connect to the internet later on and synchronize the data log with your pictures...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …1_GPS_Receiver_​GP_E2.html (external link)

-=Gear=-

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 28, 2012 11:39 |  #5

The GP-E2 works with the 5DIII but not the MkII. If the OP already has a GPS unit, he should be able to find software on the net that will allow him to sync his pictures with the position they were taken from. All you need to do before taking any photos is to make sure the clocks on the GPS unit and the camera are in sync. If you don't already have a GPS unit, that Jobo looks as good a solution as any.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Don ­ Komarechka
301 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 28, 2012 12:47 |  #6

I have done this in-camera, though it's not a cheap process. You'll need the WFT-E4 or WFT-E4II transmitter unit as well as a compliant GPS. I wrote a post about it some time ago, and here's the link:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=848478

Hope this helps! I'm actually selling my WFT unit, if you're interested let me know. :)

Canon 5D mark II w/ WFT-E4 IIA, Canon EOS-1n, Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 50mm F/1.4, Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro, Canon 15mm F/2.8 Fisheye, Canon MP-E 65mm Macro, Speedlite 580EX II, MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite, and a black mitten
Photo Blog: Don.Komarechka.com (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 28, 2012 14:30 |  #7

I carry my Android tablet in my camera bag. On it I have an app called GPS Essentials. It will datalog the GPS. The interval is configurable and I have mine set down to 30 seconds. Keeps the battery life up.

Unlike the most of the add on trackers I've looked at I don't have to worry about data storage. The software I use to copy my cards (Ingestamatic) will merge the GPS log into my exif data.

I've only just started doing this, but so far this combo is working pretty good.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Dimitris
311 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2012 19:21 |  #8

You can find any handheld GPS that keeps your route saved as a .gxp file. After that you can use software to synchronize the photos with the coordinates.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/ (external link)

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 28, 2012 21:05 |  #9

Thanks...I'd really like something that took AA batteries, or didn't need recharging every few hours...also, a tablet is right out of the question...I'm not carrying around something like that when I'm out shooting in a different country...

I'd love to find something that auto-tags the pictures (ie: no syncing and then having to download and match them together)...if it comes to that, I'll do that, but I'd pay a little extra for the convenience (especially since a lot of people seem to be having software issues with the ones where you have to pair them).

-=Gear=-

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 29, 2012 05:19 |  #10

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14919905 (external link)
Thanks...I'd really like something that took AA batteries, or didn't need recharging every few hours

I use a BGT-31. It doesn't take AA batteries, but it will record GPS data for over 48 hours non-stop on a single charge.

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14919905 (external link)
I'd love to find something that auto-tags the pictures (ie: no syncing and then having to download and match them together)...if it comes to that, I'll do that, but I'd pay a little extra for the convenience.

A lot of people would pay a little extra. Unfortunately the only options involve paying a lot extra. I'm happy to save that cash and spend the extra 20 minutes it takes to tag images with the data from a .gpx file.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 29, 2012 09:48 |  #11

Ingestamatic (external link) is only $20. Pretty cheap option to merge your gps data. It also allows you to properly tag your images.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

base_nine
104 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 29, 2012 11:44 |  #12

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but a free option would be to use Google Picassa. You can select a batch of photos and use their Google Earth utility to add Lat/Long co-ords to your EXIF data.

There are others such as Geosetter that will do the same thing, but I'm not familiar with that software.

Canon 60D with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon SX50 (wife's camera)
Canon EF 50mm II f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Opteka 500mm f/8 mirror lens, Speedlite 430EX II
Long time enthusiast - been photographing since my teens in the 80's.

sponsored links

9,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
What options do I have for GPS tagging with my 5D Mark II?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.