Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 10:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you move furniture/stuff at a venue?

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 21, 2012 10:53 |  #1

Just wondering if you ever had an issue from a venue moving furniture or general stuff to improve an image.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2012 11:34 |  #2

Without knocking things over and / or mess up anything, I've moved sofa, table, deco to have better shots.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 21, 2012 12:33 |  #3

I do as well - but I make sure I talk to the venues manager before the party starts. I like to introduce myself and let them know how I'll be working, and that if its ok with them I might temporarily move things around.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 21, 2012 12:42 |  #4

JohnThomas wrote in post #14887402 (external link)
I do as well - but I make sure I talk to the venues manager before the party starts. I like to introduce myself and let them know how I'll be working, and that if its ok with them I might temporarily move things around.

Me too. I do what I have to, but try to be as respectful as possible.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 21, 2012 14:30 as a reply to  @ snakeman55's post |  #5

Within reason and after asking for permission.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 21, 2012 14:42 |  #6

I sometimes ask for the cake table or the podium to be moved or better angled, but that's about it...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 21, 2012 15:31 |  #7

Some venues don't like it when you take it upon yourself to move stuff.
So I make sure what the rules are with regards to that, but yeah, I don't have a problem moving stuff around to eliminate some clutter. There are limits though!

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 21, 2012 16:19 |  #8

Just let them know you will be moving things and you WILL be returning them afterwards and it usualy is not a problem.

I have had to rearange a hotel entire loby for an event. There was not room to simply move stuff with out it being in a walk path and be a trip hazard. So I moved almost everything to make room. And I made sure everything was back as I found it when I was done. The staff could not have cared less than they did that I moved stuff.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 21, 2012 18:43 |  #9

nicksan wrote in post #14888208 (external link)
So I make sure what the rules are with regards to that, but yeah, I don't have a problem moving stuff around to eliminate some clutter. There are limits though!

Since you're in NYC, you might need to bring in a guy from local 231 to hook up your strobes :D

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 22, 2012 06:46 |  #10

Always. But I work with an assistant who puts everything back for me so that we don't run afoul with the venue.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 22, 2012 08:09 |  #11

nicksan wrote in post #14888208 (external link)

Ditto:cool:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2012 22:45 |  #12

Yup, I have no shame, I will move just about anything for a better photo. And I do have my assistant move it back after. I've moved furniture, brides, grooms, paintings, mirrors, just about everything imaginable.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2012 10:09 |  #13

davisphotos wrote in post #14907160 (external link)
Yup, I have no shame, I will move just about anything for a better photo. And I do have my assistant move it back after. I've moved furniture, brides, grooms, paintings, mirrors, just about everything imaginable.

me too, if it's a portrait session or some part of the day that I actually have some control over the image :)

if i'm shooting candids, not so much! :)

i honestly don't worry about the venue's feelings or anything if I'm moving something if I have time and it would make the image better.
If they really didn't want it moved, they should have bolted it down, haha, i'm only half joking about that too.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 29, 2012 11:26 |  #14

The reason I even mentions this.. I have done this before and always moved the furniture back.
I was setting up a group in a lobby. Space was really tight and this stupid large table was in the frame. So the option was move it or photoshop it out later. So I moved it.. Before I had a chance to move it back the event coordinator freaked out.. In a LOUD voice... DON'T YOU EVER MOVE ANYTHING AGAIN !!!
I guess this is where it pays off to be proactive:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 29, 2012 11:45 |  #15

scorpio_e wrote in post #14922145 (external link)
The reason I even mentions this.. I have done this before and always moved the furniture back.
I was setting up a group in a lobby. Space was really tight and this stupid large table was in the frame. So the option was move it or photoshop it out later. So I moved it.. Before I had a chance to move it back the event coordinator freaked out.. In a LOUD voice... DON'T YOU EVER MOVE ANYTHING AGAIN !!!
I guess this is where it pays off to be proactive:)

When I am at a venue, I always ask before moving stuff. I'll at least find out what the "house rules" are. Some venues have no issues moving stuff around. They usually like to have their own staff move staff, perhaps for liability issues. You know, just like how the Limo driver doesn't like people other than themselves close the door, etc.

sponsored links

2,962 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you move furniture/stuff at a venue?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.