Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 20:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

people asking for more than 3% paypal

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 13, 2012 16:00 |  #91

I think alt**** is right if the listing shows pricing that way. To me the problem is some of the listings just say "net xxxx" I don't even bother contacting them unless price is really good. I think saying e.g. "1000 cash or MO or 1030 by Paypal" is perfectly fine and I don't see anything wrong with that.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links
Geckotek
193 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 14, 2012 08:53 |  #92

Well, looks like the credit card using world is about to change as we know it.

http://bottomline.msnb​c.msn.com …ver-credit-card-fees?lite (external link)

"The settlement agreement also would give merchants new rights to impose a surcharge on credit transactions, subject to a cap and other limitations."

If at all possible, I'll be giving my business to merchants that choose NOT to charge an extra fee for credit. I love not having to carry around cash and even more I love tracking my transactions via credit cards and not needing to document everything at the time I spend. I personally see this as a negative thing overall. The article says we'll may see costs to consumers go down. I say BS, businesses rarely pass on savings like this to consumers.

5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 40 Pancake | 50 1.8 II
Photoshelter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 27, 2012 23:12 |  #93

Chalk me up as one who completely ignores for sale items when then they list the only payment method accepted as 'Paypal gift'... seems to be all to common now.

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2012 08:08 |  #94

By using regular paypal, in the end the buyer ALWAYS absorbs the fees.

The market value of the item dictates the sale price, regardless of how the buyer tries to use gimmicks to price it.

The only potential "discount" is using paypal gift.

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

kouman
380 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 28, 2012 08:25 |  #95

I hate paypal, but it is the most widely used form of cash. Usually it is 3-4% and is random. I usually tell the purchaser to split on a high priced item over $1k.

5D mark ii | Sigma 85 f1.4 | 17-40 f4L YN--468 | 2x YN-560 | Einstein AB1600 | Kacey 22" BDWebsite (external link) Flickr (external link)
Feedback 1
Feedback 2

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 28, 2012 10:03 |  #96

kouman wrote in post #14917072 (external link)
I hate paypal, but it is the most widely used form of cash. Usually it is 3-4% and is random. I usually tell the purchaser to split on a high priced item over $1k.

It's not random. If you are using the service, surely you've read their rules and fee structure. It takes less than a minute to understand it.

As for asking to split fees... :rolleyes: again, read the rules.

benji25
Goldmember
1,035 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 28, 2012 12:02 |  #97

Lest you all forget that you are violating Paypal's terms of service by adding a surcharge for fees?

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). Nor does this restriction apply to Pound-denominated transactions by sellers residing in the United Kingdom listing items for sale on a UK-based website

https://www.paypal.com …r?cmd=p/gen/ter​ms-outside (external link)

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 28, 2012 17:23 |  #98

benji25 wrote in post #14917824 (external link)
Lest you all forget that you are violating Paypal's terms of service by adding a surcharge for fees?

https://www.paypal.com …r?cmd=p/gen/ter​ms-outside (external link)

before you start casting stones, i take it you're also someone who files and pays sales tax on all of your online purchases as well? how about lending a friend or family member a music CD or movie? maybe you've used aftermarket accessories on the plethora of electronics and appliances that have clauses in their usage agreements that explicitly prohibit them?

get off your high horse. i think any discussion on this subject is a lot more productive when we're discussing the real world application of buyer/seller habits rather than trying to point out an unenforceable clause in paypal's end user agreement that they inserted to encourage popular use of their services. if you have a problem with people adding surcharges, that's fine. just own it, instead of trying to channel authority from an end user agreement.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 28, 2012 18:06 |  #99

Ugh, why was this thread dug up again?

I can charge whatever the hell I want for an item. If I am using regular paypal for payment I will just tack on 3% to what I want the ITEM to sell for. If I will be shipping the item, I will just tack on $20 to the overall price as well. All of that stuff happens behind the scenes in my head, and then I put the PRICE listed online to the public. Technically, I am charging for "paypal fees" and "shipping fees", but all you will ever see is the one single overall price 'everything included'.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

benji25
Goldmember
1,035 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 29, 2012 11:22 |  #100

alt4852 wrote in post #14919085 (external link)
before you start casting stones, i take it you're also someone who files and pays sales tax on all of your online purchases as well? how about lending a friend or family member a music CD or movie? maybe you've used aftermarket accessories on the plethora of electronics and appliances that have clauses in their usage agreements that explicitly prohibit them?

get off your high horse. i think any discussion on this subject is a lot more productive when we're discussing the real world application of buyer/seller habits rather than trying to point out an unenforceable clause in paypal's end user agreement that they inserted to encourage popular use of their services. if you have a problem with people adding surcharges, that's fine. just own it, instead of trying to channel authority from an end user agreement.

Oh I could care less if people charge for paypal. I was just bring it to people's attention that it is against the ToS. Plus it is very easy to get around if you just say it is a 3% "handling" fee. So from a technical standpoint this whole argument is pointless. From a practical standpoint it is a different story though.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 29, 2012 11:33 |  #101

benji25 wrote in post #14922124 (external link)
Oh I could care less if people charge for paypal. I was just bring it to people's attention that it is against the ToS. Plus it is very easy to get around if you just say it is a 3% "handling" fee. So from a technical standpoint this whole argument is pointless. From a practical standpoint it is a different story though.

I have also seen people say that PayPal can restrict your service if they feel you are abusing the TOS. So even if you don't care about following their rules in general it's good to know that there may be ramifications from PayPal if you get caught.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2012 19:54 |  #102

benji25 wrote in post #14922124 (external link)

the giant red lettering was just a bit garish and off-putting.

charging it as a 3% handling fee does not work in skirting it from the technical standpoint, because that same terms of service clause specifies that the handling fee cannot act as a surcharge. therefore, you'd have to assess 3% from everyone, including the ones who do not pay via paypal.

the point is, people are going to charge what they're going to charge, and in our marketplace system, they can do as they wish with how they price their listings. i sure as hell can charge a fixed rate for everyone that puts my asking price where i'm comfortable selling, but if someone chooses to save me money by paying me in a way that doesn't assess an extra 3% from a third party, i'm more than happy to pass along the savings to them directly. with some of the items i've sold, that 3% comes close to $100. that's not a trivial amount of money to me, and it very well may factor into a purchasing decision for a buyer. if i played it by the written word of the service agreement, if i aim to get $2000 for a lens, i need to charge EVERYONE regardless of payment method $2090. that does me a disservice in artificially inflating my price (if people choose to pay via non-paypal methods), and it does a disservice to a buyer because it doesn't give them the choice of paying a lower price that we'd both be more comfortable with. the last option is to stop accepting paypal and only accept cash, check, or money order in which case everyone loses.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 29, 2012 20:02 |  #103

What the heck are you talking about? If I want to charge somebody a 3% handling fee I can do that. If there are two people who want they $2000 lens. One offers to pay by paypal and one offers to pay by cash, I can charge the paypal payer a 3% handling fee. Paypal has no "jurisdiction" on this forum... If I want to charge only the potential paypal buyer a 7% "gas-to-drive-to-the-Post-Office-fee" or a 20% "because-I-can-fee", I can do that!

You guys are so funny... I am not sure why everybody is so uptight? There is a GREAT article (external link) about hypocritical behavior in regards to sports on Foxsports.com today and I think it can easily be applied to this paypal discussion!

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2012 21:33 |  #104

monty28428 wrote in post #14915877 (external link)
Chalk me up as one who completely ignores for sale items when then they list the only payment method accepted as 'Paypal gift'... seems to be all to common now.

Me too. I also ignore posts that want "net" prices or paypal surcharges. If someone is too lazy to figure out a full price for me and post it, or they are ethically challenged and wish to skirt rules, then I don't really think they are a trustworthy seller.

But, as others have said, they have the right to post what they want. Just know that when you are petty with your pricing, you will not sell your item as quickly.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 29, 2012 21:45 |  #105

tkbslc wrote in post #14924413 (external link)
I also ignore posts that want "net" prices or paypal surcharges. If someone is too lazy to figure out a full price for me and post it, or they are ethically challenged and wish to skirt rules, then I don't really think they are a trustworthy seller.

So you'd rather see the overall price with the "surcharges" and "shipping fees" included in one big ole' price?

You think that a person who publicly announces a surcharge is NOT a trustworthy seller, but a person who hides the surcharge in their overall price IS trustworthy?!? I don't get it. They are hiding something from you, but you think that is better...

sponsored links

9,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
people asking for more than 3% paypal
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.