Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Richard Atkin Photography - illegal image use

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 30, 2012 10:06 |  #16

wow, this is just hard to even believe! glad you found it and called him out on it!
how did you find this anyway?

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 30, 2012 13:21 |  #17

bigarchi wrote in post #14926150 (external link)
wow, this is just hard to even believe! glad you found it and called him out on it!
how did you find this anyway?

Ditto

Ive got seniors taking watermarked imaged off the site and using them on their facebook pages......pretty easy to do with all this pirating software these days........I think its getting to the point that you might have to watermark for your web pages........the guy is a total jerk.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 30, 2012 13:30 |  #18

umphotography wrote in post #14926986 (external link)
Ditto

Ive got seniors taking watermarked imaged off the site and using them on their facebook pages......pretty easy to do with all this pirating software these days........I think its getting to the point that you might have to watermark for your web pages........the guy is a total jerk.

There's not a single thing a website can do to really prevent image theft other than not post images. Most of the time you don't even need fancy software, even with websites that try to use sneaky javascript or flash tricks to prevent clicks and whatnot. Everything you need comes with the operating system.

I don't shoot weddings but know quite a few people who do and I'm not sure if any have run in to this problem (or at least been aware of it) but a couple are certainly talented enough that I imagine someone out there might be laying claim to some of their images. It's a shame.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 30, 2012 13:31 |  #19

I never really understood how stealing wedding images is helpful. I mean, either you can photograph like this, or you can't. If you can--take the freaking photos yourself; if you can't, what are you going to do when the bride gets back photos that aren't even close to what you're showing on your site.

Kudos to the OP for finding this and stamping it out. hopefully this has serious ramifications on that dude's business.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 30, 2012 14:02 |  #20

Whats great is that if I Google Richard Atkins Photography, I get this post before his website.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 30, 2012 14:24 |  #21

I don't get stealing images either. If you can not produce good work, your in the wrong business. You could never live up to client expectation of showing work that is not yours.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

gadgeteer
43 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 30, 2012 15:17 |  #22

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14927029 (external link)
I never really understood how stealing wedding images is helpful. I mean, either you can photograph like this, or you can't. If you can--take the freaking photos yourself; if you can't, what are you going to do when the bride gets back photos that aren't even close to what you're showing on your site.

What he said!

Wedding Photographer Nottingham & Derby - Martin Cheung (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 30, 2012 20:56 |  #23

Funnily enough it looks like Richard Atkin Photographer has pulled down the FB page in question. Never mind though as Google has indexed this thread.

PS razyl you may want to correct your original post to reflect the correct spelling of his name i.e. lose the "s" if you want to ensure that Google will bring up this thread whenever the name is searched for in the future.

Peter

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 30, 2012 23:09 |  #24

Kronie wrote in post #14927144 (external link)
Whats great is that if I Google Richard Atkins Photography, I get this post before his website.

awesome!

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 30, 2012 23:17 |  #25

We should all link to this thread from our blogs and websites (anchor text Richard Atkins Photography) to ensure this thread remains at the top of Google! ;)

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 31, 2012 01:28 |  #26

He's only pulled down his FB page because moderating all the comments becomes a bind! he hasn't had a change of heart.

He has no moral backbone because there's still one image on his site stolen from a very famous photographer. The photographer in question has been notified but Im guessing there's been no contact yet. The only blessing is, he's a UK grownup which means we'll be spared the 'I have to answer to baby Jesus please don't judge me' Facebook posting;).

The stupid thing is, his site is so full of bull anyway, his blog announcing a brand new venture and the website saying he's a professional photographer with 25 years experience. :rolleyes: And offering bookings for a £100 deposit that turned into a £50 deposit weeks later, just looks desperate to anyone viewing (these were FB postings)

Now it's easy for us (who've written marketing bull before) to work out that this turns into 25 years amateur experience:oops:. But potential customers will be fooled.

Fortunately, this page will always rank higher than his site, because he's using the latest website builder in the uk that says 'look I don't have a clue', so he'll only ever rank for his name, the SEO from Vistaprint will never get him anywhere.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 31, 2012 12:37 |  #27

Shouldn't the thread title be changed as his names spelt wrong ATM which will affect search results.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 31, 2012 12:45 |  #28

Phil V wrote in post #14931412 (external link)
Shouldn't the thread title be changed as his names spelt wrong ATM which will affect search results.

Agreed, I reported your post to the mods so hopefully they pick it up and change the thread title.

Joel

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 31, 2012 18:08 |  #29

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14925913 (external link)
OP ignore the blatant marketing, but there might be some info of interest to you in this post:

http://www.examiner.co​m …professional-photographer (external link)

Good article thanks for the link - I've had a quick read but will have a more detailed look after this weekend of weddings :)

Does anyone use Copyscape or any other copyright software to protect their images? I'm not thinking you can ever be 100% sure no one is using your images but it would be nice to know it's 99% safe.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 31, 2012 18:11 |  #30

Kronie wrote in post #14927144 (external link)

Excellent!

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links

22,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Richard Atkin Photography - illegal image use
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.