Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 30, 2012 12:17 |  #9061

GerryDavid wrote in post #14926418 (external link)
I forgot to mention that I use an appointment book as well. got it at walmart for $20, it looks to be leather on the outside and zips closed. I also use it to double check to make sure all my portraits are in the finance spreadsheet and it holds my customer info sheets I use for picture viewings for sessions that I havent done yet. :)

I just use google calendar for reminders. Like if someone tells me at the beginning of the summer they want an autumn portrait Ill put a reminder in there for the first of sept and its easy to move the reminder back yet if its not near fall yet. :)

Ive played with the calendar on my new ipod but its a bit annoying to use the small keyboard with my not so fat fingers. Plus its easier to loose than my appointment book. :)

Gerry, try getting a stylus to use with your Ipad. I love using it over my fingers. Plus, I just started using a model release app and signing with a pen is much more professional looking. Its also a lot easier to make a "real" signature vs. the slop I get with my finger.

Also, you can always auto sync your ipod/ipad so that you could never lose your appts. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 30, 2012 12:22 |  #9062

its an ipod not an ipad :D ipads would be a bit harder to loose. I tried using the tip of a pen cap as a stylus and it didnt work, same with my finger nail, I got wondering if it has to be something warm like a finger to get it to work. :)

im not sure I would want to put a release app on an ipod, the screen is a wee bit small. :) I only got it for the square device. :)

do you mean an app that is a model release? can you suggest some good ones? Ill check it out. :)

Canon investor

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 30, 2012 12:36 |  #9063

GerryDavid wrote in post #14926690 (external link)
its an ipod not an ipad :D ipads would be a bit harder to loose. I tried using the tip of a pen cap as a stylus and it didnt work, same with my finger nail, I got wondering if it has to be something warm like a finger to get it to work. :)

im not sure I would want to put a release app on an ipod, the screen is a wee bit small. :) I only got it for the square device. :)

do you mean an app that is a model release? can you suggest some good ones? Ill check it out. :)

I dont have it with me right now but if you search the app store for model releases, there are a ton. I downloaded a free one and that allowed me to make ten releases but then I paid the 3 bucks to get the full version.

Youre right, unlike older touch screens, the newer ones will not work with just any object. Here is the one that I bought and it works just as well as your finger, if not better. http://www.microcenter​.com …reen_Stylus_and​_Pen_Black (external link)

Shane
flickr (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 30, 2012 13:06 |  #9064

what % of people end up signing your model release? I usually present the model release before the customer info form and 99% of people sign it that way. it was more like 50% when it was page 2, they got tired of doing forms I think.

Canon investor

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 30, 2012 13:07 |  #9065

i think we also need for this thread a posing guide.

1. full standing up
2. wall poses (generally brick walls and such)
3. sitting down poses
4. ground work
5. how to uses hands and where to place hands (what and why)

i will put together something for this thread soon..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 30, 2012 13:11 |  #9066

GerryDavid wrote in post #14926916 (external link)
what % of people end up signing your model release? I usually present the model release before the customer info form and 99% of people sign it that way. it was more like 50% when it was page 2, they got tired of doing forms I think.

Ive not had any seniors parents not sign it. I just tell them I need it so that I can use the images on FB, which is kinda true, though I dont yet have a FB page for my photography. :lol:

Shane
flickr (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 30, 2012 13:18 |  #9067

since were talking about apps, whats a good portfolio app? Im not even sure how to get port pics onto the ipod, I cant copy them over to the folder that the ipod stores its camera pics on. :) maybe it has to be downloaded over the wifi?

Canon investor

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 30, 2012 13:19 |  #9068

do you mention it can be used for advertising? you may want to if you plan to use it for that. :D I make sure to say that so there isnt any surprises when they go to the local bank and see their picture on the community board. :D

Canon investor

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 30, 2012 14:16 |  #9069

GerryDavid wrote in post #14926976 (external link)
do you mention it can be used for advertising? you may want to if you plan to use it for that. :D I make sure to say that so there isnt any surprises when they go to the local bank and see their picture on the community board. :D

I meant that if theyre hesitant to sign, which I can understand, I mention that in order to put them on FB for their kids to share with their friends, I require the release to be signed. Ive not come across anyone yet that didnt understand. Ive also yet to shoot for a student that didnt have FB so maybe Ive been lucky using that reasoning. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 30, 2012 15:10 |  #9070

I am a full time photographer, with about 5-7 sessions per week, and I use Google calendar on my desktop. I have it synced with my iPhone and iPad as well. My wife becomes my assistant with all of my children sessions, therefore her iPhone is set up to see my calendar and get my alerts. She has her own calendar, so any new appointments she makes (her personal appts) only show up to her and not on my calendar. So....all of the photography appointments are made from my PC, my iPhone, or my iPad. I use the color coding to determine if it is a portrait session or a sales session, (since our sales are done in person) I also have the Calendar set up, by default, to send me a reminder 1 week, 3 days, 1 day, 12 hours, and 2 hours in advance to the session. Is that overkill? Yes....but it keeps me from forgetting a session, it also keeps me reminded of names!
Now about the Portfolio app. I use "Portfolio for iPad" it is a great app! I have a projector and a 91" screen, that I no longer use now that I have that app. My sales have actually increased since my clients are holding the iPad in their hands, flipping through their images at their own pace. The app allows video and images, so I load an Animoto slideshow into their gallery and that is what we start with. After they view the slideshow, they go through all of their images on their own. You can customize the app with your own branding so it looks like a "Jay's Photography Portfolio" app instead of "Portfolio for iPad"

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

max3k
780 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 30, 2012 15:11 |  #9071

phamster wrote in post #14926921 (external link)
i think we also need for this thread a posing guide.

1. full standing up
2. wall poses (generally brick walls and such)
3. sitting down poses
4. ground work
5. how to uses hands and where to place hands (what and why)

i will put together something for this thread soon..

x2 :)

5D Mark II, 70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and some other stuff
Facebook Page (external link)
http://www.RyanJonesPh​oto.com (external link)
My Photo Blog (external link)

locky
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 30, 2012 17:16 |  #9072
bannedPermanent ban

umphotography wrote in post #14920123 (external link)
Locky... Good buddy. Likejob them all:cool::cool::cool:

Mike, was this post typed after you had your late night toddy? lol

I just got my first pair of glasses that I didn't think I needed. I apologize to anybody in the past year that I said their pictures were out of focus lol.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 30, 2012 17:32 |  #9073

locky wrote in post #14927951 (external link)
Mike, was this post typed after you had your late night toddy? lol

LMAO... they have all been late nights this year,, busy busy,,, good problem to have

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 30, 2012 18:22 |  #9074

HAHAHA I hadnt even noticed that! Too funny. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 31, 2012 00:14 |  #9075

Part time (with a full-time day job). Wife stays at home and home schools our three kiddos. So we're both ultra busy before photography... I use iCalendar, syncing it to my iPod. Just finally got her a mac also, so I need to get our calendars shared, but haven't done that yet. Hasn't been too big of an issue yet, as we only shoot on average about 2-3 per month. Honestly, portrait work is only about half of my business, with architectural and sports rounding things out.

As for the release, it's part of my contract, in the terms and conditions. I send my contract out to clients well before the session, encourage them to read through the T&Cs (which are in a large font), and then have the client sign for financial responsibility and model release, as well as ALL portrait participants (a parent/guardian must sign for minors). Haven't had any issues at all with this setup.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

sponsored links

2,680,375 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.