Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Easiest way to present proofs to wedding couple?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2012 20:42 as a reply to  @ post 14922466 |  #16

I started delivering watermarked preview discs. Basically enough file so it can be viewed on a computer. Seems to make it a lot easier for the girls to go through and select the files they want for the albums and files that they will want for prints. We also shoot 1200-1500 images and our keeper rate is about 85% so im often sending a disc with 1100 shots. They are all cropped and color corrected.

I catch some heat from photographers for doing this. But ive found that many times what i think is good and what a client thinks is good are very different. Some of the stuff i would have trashed has wound up in albums. We deliver all files that we take to the client. I have no need for any of them. The files that they select for albums get final processing and then they are included with the rest of the files on the final disc.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Jerph
30 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 29, 2012 23:15 |  #17

With weddings, the old way is to have all your usable shots color corrected by a lap and printed. Most serious studies still use this way, at least AFAIK. On the other hand, you'd save tons of money if you did it yourself and used a web service. It depends on what your clients are paying I suppose.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 30, 2012 15:21 |  #18

You cull images that have folks blinking, that have an elbow jutting into the frame, that are simply test shots, that are basically duplicate, that register an awkward moment for the subject, that are OOF due to missed focus point, that you've re-shot because you opted for a larger dof, that show a pose that on second that just isn't as flattering as a later similar pose, those shots of that white-balance card you use-you cull these images and have 85% of your original images ? Consider me impressed, sir.

I give back about 35% of what I shoot.

umphotography wrote in post #14924224 (external link)
I started delivering watermarked preview discs. Basically enough file so it can be viewed on a computer. Seems to make it a lot easier for the girls to go through and select the files they want for the albums and files that they will want for prints. We also shoot 1200-1500 images and our keeper rate is about 85% so im often sending a disc with 1100 shots. They are all cropped and color corrected.

I catch some heat from photographers for doing this. But ive found that many times what i think is good and what a client thinks is good are very different. Some of the stuff i would have trashed has wound up in albums. We deliver all files that we take to the client. I have no need for any of them. The files that they select for albums get final processing and then they are included with the rest of the files on the final disc.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 30, 2012 16:29 |  #19

yeah, i'm around 85% too after I cull.
drives me nuts because I want to get the number of images I hand over DOWN more.
though i'm glad that the decent shot ratio is relatively high though.

with what I think are good photos, the ratio is more like 8% though lol
but like Mike has said, brides often find some photos awesome, that I thought were almost trash, for whatever reasons..

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 30, 2012 17:06 |  #20

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14927484 (external link)
You cull images that have folks blinking, that have an elbow jutting into the frame, that are simply test shots, that are basically duplicate, that register an awkward moment for the subject, that are OOF due to missed focus point, that you've re-shot because you opted for a larger dof, that show a pose that on second that just isn't as flattering as a later similar pose, those shots of that white-balance card you use-you cull these images and have 85% of your original images ? Consider me impressed, sir.

I give back about 35% of what I shoot.

christopher.

last weekends wedding i downloaded 1387 and kept 1103...thats pretty average sometimes more, sometimes a bit less,,,But i cull while im shooting for stuff like light tests, And if i see some blinkies i will toss so if you factor that then im probably below 75-80% just like everyone else i suppose. We really try to get it right in camera, shoot with strobes outside, OCF for everything except reception and dressing room shots so that number of images that come back clean is high.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 30, 2012 18:11 |  #21

Ah--understood, Mike. Or at least it's slightly more understandable for me !!

I generally give back about 300 photos for an 8-hour wedding; and I get pretty rave reviews back from my clients. They're in fact usually surprised that there are so many photos. I've never had someone request more photos. I feel like I'm absolutely able to tell the story of a wedding in 300 shots. I'm actually thinking of bringing this down to something like 200-250, though that really does require emphasis of a certain style of shooting that, e.g., doesn't favour a million group shots, every one of which I obviously return.

I'm totally sympathetic to the idea that we shouldn't just consider ourselves artists, and be, like, super super selective about what we shoot and give back. I guess I'm just more persuaded that I'm hired to provide a certain vision, and that that vision involves selection. As for the shots that are 'keepers' but failing to add to what I think is the story of the day--well, I'll just leave those kinds of shots to the guests, who probably do also have keeper rates similar to yours.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 30, 2012 18:51 |  #22

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14928160 (external link)
Ah--understood, Mike. Or at least it's slightly more understandable for me !!

I generally give back about 300 photos for an 8-hour wedding; and I get pretty rave reviews back from my clients. They're in fact usually surprised that there are so many photos. I've never had someone request more photos. I feel like I'm absolutely able to tell the story of a wedding in 300 shots. I'm actually thinking of bringing this down to something like 200-250, though that really does require emphasis of a certain style of shooting that, e.g., doesn't favour a million group shots, every one of which I obviously return.

I'm totally sympathetic to the idea that we shouldn't just consider ourselves artists, and be, like, super super selective about what we shoot and give back. I guess I'm just more persuaded that I'm hired to provide a certain vision, and that that vision involves selection. As for the shots that are 'keepers' but failing to add to what I think is the story of the day--well, I'll just leave those kinds of shots to the guests, who probably do also have keeper rates similar to yours.

Pretty much exactly how I feel on the subject.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Maryland (external link)
Gear

mosabi
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2012 11:56 |  #23

Is there a good program to use that you can cull these bad shots out of. I am viewing everything in raw.
I have DPP but am not fully acquainted with it. Just wanting a quick method to get the good images in a new folder so I can open them in LR and do the color balanced and what not.

Thanks

www.nickluchau.zenfoli​o.com (external link)
40Dx2 gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 430ex II

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 04, 2012 12:08 |  #24

mosabi wrote in post #14946593 (external link)
Is there a good program to use that you can cull these bad shots out of. I am viewing everything in raw.
I have DPP but am not fully acquainted with it. Just wanting a quick method to get the good images in a new folder so I can open them in LR and do the color balanced and what not.

Thanks

I use photomechanic and I love it. Its quick and what I do all my culling with.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 04, 2012 13:19 |  #25

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14946638 (external link)
I use photomechanic and I love it. Its quick and what I do all my culling with.

I've been using DPP's Quick Check tool for culling lately, as it is much faster than LR. Is there any benefit to using Photomechanic over DPP?

mosabi
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 04, 2012 15:44 |  #26

I'll give photomechanic a look. Thanks Bryan!

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 04, 2012 16:24 |  #27

frugivore wrote in post #14946938 (external link)
I've been using DPP's Quick Check tool for culling lately, as it is much faster than LR. Is there any benefit to using Photomechanic over DPP?

I dont use DPP's software, so I cant tell you. I am comfortable with PhotoMechanic and dont see reason to try anything else. I think they have a free trial if you are interested to see how it works.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

mosabi
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 05, 2012 10:36 |  #28

Just tried the trial of PhotoMechanic, works pretty slick. All I did was give the keep images a 1 rating (pink) and when I was finished there was an option to show all images I gave a rating of 1 to and save them to a different folder. I will probably be purchasing it soon.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 05, 2012 10:55 |  #29

mosabi wrote in post #14950627 (external link)
Just tried the trial of PhotoMechanic, works pretty slick. All I did was give the keep images a 1 rating (pink) and when I was finished there was an option to show all images I gave a rating of 1 to and save them to a different folder. I will probably be purchasing it soon.

Again, how is this any different than DPP which is free? I gotta check out PM tonight.

G..
190 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 05, 2012 11:54 |  #30

Another vote for photomechanic - for me, it works quicker than LR.

A British Photographer in Paphos
www.paphosweddingphoto​graphy.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/papho​sweddingphotography (external link)

sponsored links

4,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
Easiest way to present proofs to wedding couple?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.