Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice/help on 13x19" matte photo paper?

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2012 19:09 |  #1

I'm looking for help or advice on a good 13x19" photo paper to print with my Epson Artisan 1430. The people who are getting the pictures like a matte finish. I tried some Staples Photo Supreme 13x19" Matte (the only paper of that size I can get locally), and they like it, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up to fading. Staples has no information on this, unlike Epson and HP which have apparently done testing on their papers.

The pictures will be framed behind glass, but I don't really trust the Staples paper to resist fading.

I have used HP Premium Plus Soft-Gloss in 8.5x11" sizes, but that finish isn't available in 13x19". (They have "Satin". How does Satin compare to Soft Gloss?)

There is also Epson Premium photo paper in Semi-Gloss, but I don't know what it looks like. Is it like matte? (Epson also has Luster. What is Luster? Sparkly?)

Cost is a concern. The Staples paper is cheapest, $1.30/sheet. I've seen Epson Premium 13x19 at about $1.75/sheet, which is OK. HP Premium Plus 13x19 at about $2 - $2.50 starts to hurt. (I know, this is dumb, the paper is the cheapest part, vs mat and frame.)

If you've read this far, you know I'm a bit lost... any help would be appreciated.

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 30, 2012 07:06 |  #2

I'd guess that using HP papers in an Epson would be problematic, since there are no icc profiles for it.

I've heard good things about Red River, and I like Hahnemühle and Innova Fibaprint myself. More expensive, but worth it.

Try to get a sample pack with some different papers.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 30, 2012 07:57 |  #3

Several of the major paper manufacturers offer sample packs at a reasonable price, thats would give you several mat papers in each to test.

But make sure you upload (and use of course) the paper profiles before trying to print on anything otherwise the test is unfair. I'm a fan of Hahnemuhle Torchon, but it is not cheap.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 30, 2012 08:03 |  #4

I use ilford smooth pearl paper with my canon printer. It will also works with your Epson. I just printed a 13x19 and it looks great.

oops this is not matte

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,873 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 30, 2012 08:08 |  #5

lar55 wrote in post #14923847 (external link)
I'm looking for help or advice on a good 13x19" photo paper to print with my Epson Artisan 1430. The people who are getting the pictures like a matte finish. I tried some Staples Photo Supreme 13x19" Matte (the only paper of that size I can get locally), and they like it, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up to fading. Staples has no information on this, unlike Epson and HP which have apparently done testing on their papers.

The pictures will be framed behind glass, but I don't really trust the Staples paper to resist fading.

I have used HP Premium Plus Soft-Gloss in 8.5x11" sizes, but that finish isn't available in 13x19". (They have "Satin". How does Satin compare to Soft Gloss?)

There is also Epson Premium photo paper in Semi-Gloss, but I don't know what it looks like. Is it like matte? (Epson also has Luster. What is Luster? Sparkly?)

Cost is a concern. The Staples paper is cheapest, $1.30/sheet. I've seen Epson Premium 13x19 at about $1.75/sheet, which is OK. HP Premium Plus 13x19 at about $2 - $2.50 starts to hurt. (I know, this is dumb, the paper is the cheapest part, vs mat and frame.)

If you've read this far, you know I'm a bit lost... any help would be appreciated.

There are a lot of great papers out there, but unless you have the specific profiles to load for your Epson printer for non-Epson papers you will get iffy to poor results. So far just for convenience sake I've been using the Epson papers. I doubt you will get the type of fine art results you are seeking with the Staples paper; not saying it's bad paper, but just not appropriate for your needs.

Anything that says, gloss, semi-gloss or satin will not give you the desired flat mat appearance you seek. I use a great deal of Epson Velvet Fine Art paper:

http://www.atlex.com …per-13-x19-20-sheets.html (external link)

This is wonderful paper, almost giving your fine art prints a watercolor type appearance. And it will soak up ink like a sponge, so be prepared to have cartridges on hand :D. I have printed, matted and framed many 13x19 pictures with this paper for exhibits and love the results. It is not cheap, but your printer should already have the profile for it and the results will be top notch, predictable and repeatable.

As Rene suggests, Red River, and Hahnemühle make excellent products but you will have to experiment and load the correct printing profiles into your printer. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Cheap paper usually = poor/unrealable results with questionable longevity. You are correct about Epson testing their papers for durablility.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2012 15:10 |  #6

If you want to delve into this "seriously" then follow the steps described, you'll want a calibrated monitor, research the available papers that have profiles for your printer, get sample packs and run tests, and go for it.

If you aren't prepared for such a color-managed approach, well, if it were me I'd get some 8.5x11 Epson paper, one that comes closest to what you want (matte) that is also available in the 13x19 size. I don't have Epson so can't give suggestions there, but if all you can get is a semi-gloss or Satin or whatever, give it a try and show it to your clients, and if it's acceptable, well, go for the 13x19. If it's not acceptable, at least you know!

My HP photo printers do well with the HP semi-gloss papers, I have a lot of 13x19 prints, framed and hanging on my walls and that have gone into the happy hands of others.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

lar55
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 30, 2012 16:55 |  #7

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. I think I'm going to try the Epson Premium Photo Semi-gloss. It seems to be the quickest and safest approach. If the surface is like HP's Premium Plus Soft Gloss, I think it will do just fine.

By the way, when Staples was asked (not by me) about archival qualities of their "Photo Supreme" paper, they basically said: it would be difficult to say, it depends. Which is telling.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 30, 2012 17:15 |  #8

I tend to use Moab papers. Nice quality, good surface options and they have good profiles for most every printer. Their Entrada Rag comes in two surfaces, Bright is more white, the other a little creamy. They also come in two weights and are double sided. Sizes range from 4x6 to large rolls. And its reasonably prices.

Depending on where you're located they are available from a number of web suppliers. I get my from Inkjet Art. I think they're in Utah.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 31, 2012 02:35 |  #9

lar55 wrote in post #14927870 (external link)
Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. I think I'm going to try the Epson Premium Photo Semi-gloss. It seems to be the quickest and safest approach. If the surface is like HP's Premium Plus Soft Gloss, I think it will do just fine.

By the way, when Staples was asked (not by me) about archival qualities of their "Photo Supreme" paper, they basically said: it would be difficult to say, it depends. Which is telling.

Epson do very good matte finishes, theres no need to use semi-gloss or lustre finishes unleass you want to.

Staples paper is very good for quick checks, printing something to see how its coming, but for the final product? No.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,675 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 31, 2012 08:25 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #10

I use Epson "Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte" for 13x19 matte prints with my R1900. It is a good paper at a good price.

Any Epson paper that has the words "glossy," "semi-gloss," or "luster" in its name will NOT be a matte finish.

Also, I use Staples double-sided paper every year to make a few calendars for gifts. I know that they won't be displayed for long, and it is very economical. For anything else I use Epson or other better paper.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

lar55
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2012 15:32 |  #11

Lowner wrote in post #14929745 (external link)
Epson do very good matte finishes, theres no need to use semi-gloss or lustre finishes unleass you want to.

Staples paper is very good for quick checks, printing something to see how its coming, but for the final product? No.

OK thanks re: Staples paper. I might even try cutting some of the 13x19 up to try smaller matte finish prints. But just for checking...

I must be bad at looking, because the only Epson 13x19 photo paper I could find was Premium (Glossy and Semi-Gloss), Ultra Premium (Glossy and Luster), and their lower Photo grade. I do see some Matte papers, but they are listed as presentation papers not photo papers? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Anyway, I now have some Epson Premium Photo Semi-gloss 13x19 to try (amazing fast order and delivery time from Adorama). I also got a $130. each estimate for mounting and framing, but that's to worry about on another day.

rpm186nlr
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 09, 2013 08:45 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #12

good morning. I'm new here. I really like the Staples® Photo Supreme Double-sided Matte Paper printed on my Epson R1900 using Premium Photo Paper Matte setting (ICC?). I checked on their website and they claim the 8.5 x 11 inch paper to be acid-free, but strangely enough not the 13 x 19...hmmm.
http://www.staples.com …nch-Double/product_564121 (external link) they say...

Product Details
•8 1/2" x 11"
•Double sided flat matte finish for detailed graphics, and sharp text
•Heavy 11 mil thickness for the look and feel of a true photograph
•230 gsm
•Photo lab-quality paper delivers sharp images and vibrant colors
•Tear and curl resistant
•Acid free, will not yellow or crumble over time
•Resealable poly bags
•Works with all inkjet printers
•Staples Brand 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

I'm just learning about ICCs and RIP software, so my learning curve is very steep. also just bought an Epson Pro 3880 and bought the Piezogrphy B/W inks so I'm in over my head.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,873 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 09, 2013 12:02 |  #13

Welcome to POTN RPM - I think you'll enjoy visiting. Have fun with your Epson printers and don't forget to take out a home equity loan for ink :lol: . As I mentioned above, a good economical source for ink and paper is here:

http://www.atlex.com …elvet-fi...20-sheets.html (external link)

Just remember that "OTHER" brand papers will work on your Epson, but most effectively with the best results when you are using the correct profile made for that paper.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2013 00:30 |  #14

a very cost effective and great quality matte paper that i use often is Moab Lasal Matte. its around 60 dollars for a box of 50 13x19s. 230 gsm i believe and it's double sided.

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

smilingcat
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 09, 2013 02:05 |  #15

I recently purchase an Epson Artisan 1430 printer. I like the Ilford Smooth Pearl paper but I cannot find a profile. Can anyone assist.

sponsored links

8,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice/help on 13x19" matte photo paper?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.