Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 30 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Achieving this look? - Cut The World

MarkLinsangan
247 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 30, 2012 21:17 |  #1

Hey guys. I recently ran into this amazing work by NABIL
He directed this new "Short Film" like for a music video
Anthony and Johnsons - Cut The World

http://youtu.be/U9a1C1​qXHfM (external link)

Would love to know if you guys can tell me how to achieve that look. I know he's probably using a RED or another non DSLR camera. But I'm sure there's a way to at least get a similar look like that.

My primary setup (gear)
5D Mark II + 50mm f/1.4 + 85mm f/1.4 + 35mm f/1.4
(Flaat Picture Style or Canon Neutral Style "-4,-4,-2,0" for both)
I use Premiere. But for Music Videos/Short Films I like to use FCP 7. I also Color Grade inside FCP 7 Using Colorista II
I'd really like to have something similar to this. I'm really into cinematography and short films. This is definitely the look I'm looking for.

If any can help. I'd appreciate it.

Sony A7rII + 50mm F/1.2
Watch my videos (external link)

sponsored links
Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 31, 2012 05:55 |  #2

I'm confused, what "look" are you talking about? The color grading? It looks like he just used an ultra flat picture style (like Technicolor Cinestyle for Canon) then just desaturated it and added some selective high contrast/high saturation areas (the eye close-ups) with masks. He layered film grain and a 2.35 aspect ratio mask over the final video.

Or are you talking about the timelapse clouds outside the window? If I were to guess i'd say he covered the outside of the window with chroma-green and keyed it out in post, then layered a timelapse from outside behind it and used a 3D Camera tracker to track the movement of the camera.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 31, 2012 07:16 |  #3

Cracking video though.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

MarkLinsangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
247 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 31, 2012 14:11 |  #4

Kento wrote in post #14930035 (external link)
I'm confused, what "look" are you talking about? The color grading? It looks like he just used an ultra flat picture style (like Technicolor Cinestyle for Canon) then just desaturated it and added some selective high contrast/high saturation areas (the eye close-ups) with masks. He layered film grain and a 2.35 aspect ratio mask over the final video.

Or are you talking about the timelapse clouds outside the window? If I were to guess i'd say he covered the outside of the window with chroma-green and keyed it out in post, then layered a timelapse from outside behind it and used a 3D Camera tracker to track the movement of the camera.

Look meaning color grading. That really clean flat look. I've been trying to get that same look.

I 'chatted' with the Director. He's not very good at responding with long sentences through email. He used an Alexa so I know it's not a DSLR.

But thanks. I'll see what I can pull off!

Sony A7rII + 50mm F/1.2

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 31, 2012 15:56 |  #5

Color grading for film is a whole art in itself, and there are several people for who it is full time work. While there may be few locally, you should be able to find colorists in NYC or on the web. Obviously your example is an excellen and high budget production.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

pipjor01
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2012 16:58 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #6

if you just getting starting in Color Grading try out Magic Bullet Looks they have some pre sets that may have the "look" your going after

Canon Mark III, Rokinon 14 2.8, Rokinon 85 1.4, Canon 16-35

MarkLinsangan
THREAD ­ STARTER
247 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 03, 2012 19:48 |  #7

I'm not just getting started with Color Grading. I'm familiar with a lot of Color Grading tools.
The colorist just did an amazing job on this video. That it wowed me.

Sony A7rII + 50mm F/1.2

alitech
51 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 04, 2012 08:27 |  #8

How do you add a 2.35 aspect ration on the 16:9 produced by the camera?

sponsored links

1,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Achieving this look? - Cut The World
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.